What tyres? The Ultimate Tyre Thread

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
Can I get some input from you all on this? I'm trying to figure out what sizes to go with...

My 2022 Giant Reign E+ 3 currently has the original 29x2.6 DHF up front and 27.5x2.5 High Roller II in the rear, but I intend on replacing with a 29x2.5 Assegai front. I had dual 2.6s (DHF front/DHR II rear) on my old Trance E 27.5 and it felt well-balanced, but the 2.6 29er in the front on the mullet Reign E just feels too big.

For the rear, I was thinking of going up in width to a 2.6. The YT Decoy MX comes with the 2.5 front/2.6 rear setup and is akin to a dirtbike config - larger diameter, skinnier wheel/tire up front; smaller, fatter wheel in the back. Though an ebike doesn't make nearly the power of a dirtbike, so maybe that's unnecessary? It could still add climbing grip and bigger cushion for smoother pushin', I would imagine? My Reign is a hefty 56.5 lbs, so having a fatter 2.6 rear tire seems to make sense to me, but I dunno, what do you guys think?

Big bottom, talkin' bout mud flaps, my girl's got 'em...
I run a 2.6 rear in another brand on my E2 find it works well. Haven't change the front probably wait till spring as there still a lot of life left in my front and it's not like it does preform fairly good. I will replace it with something more to my liking when the time comes.

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
I've decided I'm going to run assegai dh casing in the rear with a tube. I run such high pressure in the back I won't get pinch flats anyway so I figure it's less fuss than the tubeless. I'll keep running tubeless up front and also dh casing.
less fuss????? What really. Don't confuse this with weather one should run tubeless or not but a good tubeless setup isn't a fuss

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Trek Rail 2022 Alloy, forks:Rockshox Zeb A2, shock: Ohlins TTX22m.2, 80kg ready to ride.

Been riding Maxxis Assegai Maxxgrip DD front and rear Spring and Summer. 26psi front and rear. Huge grip but in the now very wet and muddy weather they become slicks. (Have tried Maxxis Exo+ but after 2 punctures in 3 months switched to DD, no punctures since).

So took them off and put on:

Front: Schwalbe Magic Mary, Ultra Soft, Super Gravity.
Rear : Maxxis DHR 2, Maxxgrip, DD (Double Down)

Today set both tyres to 26psi and rode 20 miles on every sort of terrain - well drained, mud, loose chalk and flint, root, climbing and downhill, where the downhill was mostly well drained.

First observation was that Schwalbe Super Gravity is a lot stiffer than Maxxis Double Down. The DHR 2 felt compliant whereas the Magic Mary felt over inflated. So stopped 3 times to let a little air out of the MM during the first 10 miles, then during the next 10 miles good.

When got home checked the pressures again - DHR 2 still 26 psi, Magic Mary 24 psi. Have a couple of tyres to be fitted tomorrow on Mrs Trek Rail and sure enough, Schwalbe sidewalls are definitely stiffer the Maxxis Double Down in the squeeze test.

Might drop the MM pressure a bit more.

Edit 30 Oct: today dropped MM to 23 psi, worked great.

YMMV

strava702498391053888682.jpg

Last edited:

Perryqhill

Jul 16, 2023
Doncaster, Uk
What's peoples opinions on the Gen2 Maxxis Maxxgrip Shorty?

Currently got a DHF maxxterra and DHR maxxterra on my Kona Remote.

I'm thinking going with the Shorty up front as I ride a mix of terrains (also use a gravel bike for longer/ flatter rides and road type stuff) but the place I frequent the most is the wood behind where I live and there's a wood behind that and another area pretty close.

I do the occasional trail centre etc but it's likely to be lessened over winter.

Given the amount of rain in the UK this year and increase recently they're exceptionally wet and muddy. Whereas normally it wouldn't be so bad and I'd stick to a more allround tyre, I'm thinking a mud tyre may be more appropriate over winter.

*this has maybe been heightend by an off I had in said woods back in April on my Kona Process (pre ebike) which also had a DHF upfront, caused by some clay type mud and I ended up tearing a hamstring.

I went for the Shorty Maxxgrip DH casing up front and having been out in the slop twice now it feels miles better than the DHF, giving much more control around where I mostly ride. Tried it on rock and it feels ok at the moment given how wet they are, not so sure on wet roots but then what is? Having used it connecting trails on the road for a mile or so it didn't feel great but that shouldn't happen much as anything that requires much tarmac I'll use the gravel bike anyway.

Was tempted to change the rear as well for maybe a Maxxterra Shorty but think I'll keep the DHR2 on for now.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Talk about rain, forecast to rain here (West Sussex, UK South coast) perhaps 4 inches/100mm in the next 7 days.

Ground is sodden and trees still have their leaves because haven't had a frost yet, so with high winds also forecast could be a semi repeat of the 1987 so-called "Great Storm".

As for tyres, as long as the fronts with Magic Marys got grip the rears with DHR 2's can slide around but will ultimately follow the fronts. (y)

Last edited:

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
Hi,
I often read „are Maxxis soft rubbers good for cold temperatures?“. Just found that response of Maxxis in a local forum and would like to share here:
„Thank you for your mail.

In general, the softer a rubber is, the more it hardens.

The 3C compounds are our softest rubber compounds, so they have the greatest change in cold temperatures compared to their "softness" at room temperature. The DUAL rubber compound is harder than the 3C compounds, so the hardening is less pronounced compared to the softness at room temperature.
In practice, this means that with the 3C compound you will notice the hardening (= less grip) more in cold temperatures than if you have a tire with a DUAL rubber compound.

The performance of the 3C tires in cold temperatures is still very good and there is nothing wrong with driving a 3C tire even in cold temperatures.“

maramouse

Mar 24, 2018
Genoa Italy
Hi everyone, for the winter season I replaced the standard assegai on the front with a specialized hillbilly compound T9 grid gravity and I recommend it, works damn well, not only in the wet, but also on dry dirt, yesterday in Finale Ligure, with damp paths in Base Nato and gradually dry ones going down, it gave me a lot of confidence.

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
Hi everyone, for the winter season I replaced the standard assegai on the front with a specialized hillbilly compound T9 grid gravity and I recommend it, works damn well, not only in the wet, but also on dry dirt, yesterday in Finale Ligure, with damp paths in Base Nato and gradually dry ones going down, it gave me a lot of confidence.
It's a good tyre. I am using that one on the back of mine with a cannibal T9 gravity on the front and it's working well 👍
Previously I have used the hillbilly as a front only and really liked it.

Legendary-dave

Aug 6, 2019
UK
I’ve had my Levo a few years now but for what sort of riding I do the continental Kryptotal 2.4. Rear and Argotal front 2.6 are the best tyres I’ve ever ridden , winter or summer, wear very well and are superb on wet roots

timo2824

Dec 27, 2023
USA
Trek Rail 2022 Alloy, forks:Rockshox Zeb A2, shock: Ohlins TTX22m.2, 80kg ready to ride.

Been riding Maxxis Assegai Maxxgrip DD front and rear Spring and Summer. 26psi front and rear. Huge grip but in the now very wet and muddy weather they become slicks. (Have tried Maxxis Exo+ but after 2 punctures in 3 months switched to DD, no punctures since).

So took them off and put on:

Front: Schwalbe Magic Mary, Ultra Soft, Super Gravity.
Rear : Maxxis DHR 2, Maxxgrip, DD (Double Down)

Today set both tyres to 26psi and rode 20 miles on every sort of terrain - well drained, mud, loose chalk and flint, root, climbing and downhill, where the downhill was mostly well drained.

First observation was that Schwalbe Super Gravity is a lot stiffer than Maxxis Double Down. The DHR 2 felt compliant whereas the Magic Mary felt over inflated. So stopped 3 times to let a little air out of the MM during the first 10 miles, then during the next 10 miles good.

When got home checked the pressures again - DHR 2 still 26 psi, Magic Mary 24 psi. Have a couple of tyres to be fitted tomorrow on Mrs Trek Rail and sure enough, Schwalbe sidewalls are definitely stiffer the Maxxis Double Down in the squeeze test.

Might drop the MM pressure a bit more.

Edit 30 Oct: today dropped MM to 23 psi, worked great.

YMMV

View attachment 127649
When I got my N8e I took it to my parents house to build because we had an event that weekend. I forgot my pump so I used my brothers little frame mounted pump. I thought I had 28-30psi in my MM's on that first ride, worked great! Got home and checked with my gauge pump and both were about 12.5psi! Been running them at 18-20psi without issue on rocky trails, with tubes even.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
When I got my N8e I took it to my parents house to build because we had an event that weekend. I forgot my pump so I used my brothers little frame mounted pump. I thought I had 28-30psi in my MM's on that first ride, worked great! Got home and checked with my gauge pump and both were about 12.5psi! Been running them at 18-20psi without issue on rocky trails, with tubes even.
It really depends on your weight and the type of riding you do (do you notice the side wall flex on fast berms?). I run my tires at F18/R20 with Cushcore which stiffen up the sideways considerably. I weigh 175 lb. If you are riding in rocky terrain with lots of sharp edge hits, like to drop to flat over 3-4 feet, weigh over 200 lbs or thinking rolling resistance is important then its balance between feel, performance and even battery life. I always look at low tire pressure as 2 more inches of suspension :D

Nomad1

Apr 2, 2023
Hi everyone
My 2023 H10 came with the Fox 38 160mm and i want to increase the travel but i can't decide if i should go with the 170mm or bump it up to 180mm. Has anyone tried 180mm and if so is it recommended?
Most bike manufactures will have a max shock travel length for a specific frame. I would start there 20mm over stock is often the maximum

Money Pit

Subscriber
Jan 27, 2024
UK

I can also attest to this. I put the same front tyre on my levo and it's been excellent.

greengenes

Jan 14, 2021
uk
I can also attest to this. I put the same front tyre on my levo and it's been excellent.
Had the Hillbilly T9 on front for ages as it was so capable on my Levo. But fancied a change. Replaced with WTB Verdict 29 inch 2.5. It has even more grip in the wet/mud. I really rate WTB for extreme conditions. On the rear, put the Cannibal T9 27 inch 2.3 for winter mud plugging. Excellent tyre also. Unbeatable combination. And reasonable price.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles