• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered What Tools?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The old chap has given me a £100 budget for the Winter Solstice and suggested I buy some bike specific tools to go in the SGS Tool Chest he bought me for my birthday.

Top of the list is a torque wrench, what else should I be looking at?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Doom, if you buy a torque wrench of any decent quality then your budget will be gone I'm afraid! :)
You’re not the first person to say that...

I guess the X-Tools ones aren’t up to much then. I did find a Wera that does 1-25nm but it’s 96 quid... ?

I’ve got a chain whip, but the Pedros Chain Vice looks very good. A bleed kit is on the list. A bearing press for routine maintenance? Seems like overkill to me but I’m open to suggestions. Which one though?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I don't know you Doomaniac and I've only been on this Forum for a few weeks, but I'm surprised that you don't already have a load of tools. I get the impression that you have been around bikes for ages. I'm not expressing disapproval, just surprise. If you have been taking the bike to the LBS so far, what decided you to start your own DIY? Was it as simple as the old chap buying you a tool chest? :)

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Doom, if you buy a torque wrench of any decent quality then your budget will be gone I'm afraid! :)

I guess the X-Tools ones aren’t up to much then. I did find a Wera that does 1-25nm but it’s 96 quid...

I’ve got a chain whip, but the Pedros Chain Vice looks very good. A bleed kit is on the list. A bearing press for routine maintenance? Seems like overkill to me but I’m open to suggestions. Which one though?
Dunno, would be nice to be able to replace your own frame bearings. They cost very little but you pay for labour. It's at least an annual cost. I'm hoping the levo is better than my enduro, that needed them like every 5m.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I don't know you Doomaniac and I've only been on this Forum for a few weeks, but I'm surprised that you don't already have a load of tools.
I do have a load of tools, including most of those listed so far in this thread. I'm just after ideas so I don't just enrich a local publican with my Xmas pressies like my brothers do. The tool chest was pure luck; I was looking for something in budget that I didn't have and there was a thread about them on STW and a sale on SGS. All my bike specific tools are in there already and I've been toying with getting a torque wrench for ages so that's a given.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Dunno, would be nice to be able to replace your own frame bearings. They cost very little but you pay for labour. It's at least an annual cost.
Are they really that shit? My 2011 Camber is still on it's original bearings, as is the 2016 Nukeproof. In fact, the 1998 Club Roost is too and they were silky when my brother and I rebuilt it 5 years ago (it hasn't been ridden since... :rolleyes: ) They are fucking massive though.
Admittedly, I had assumed you meant a press for headset bearings.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia

I guess the X-Tools ones aren’t up to much then. I did find a Wera that does 1-25nm but it’s 96 quid... ?

I have the X tools set. Since I'm not using them constantly in a pro workshop and just on my own bikes I find them perfectly adequate. For non pro use they're great.

I also have the tiny Topek torque head set. I keep those in the car for head of the trail adjustments.

Now I have torque wrenches I've learned just how much I used to over tighten things in the past. No wonder I've stripped a few screws... :)

Gordon

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles