What tool to remove the chain guide?

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
As above, I need to change the dropper post hydraulic hose & in order to do so I need to remove the motor for access, to do this I need to remove the chain guide to get to one of the bolts. The nut holding it on looks like a big female spline but I have not come across one before, any ideas?
Cheers.

2unfit2ride

Feb 2, 2019
herts
Thanks for the reply Gary, tbh I have no idea how chain guides work on emtb’s, really old skool mtb’s used to clamp behind the bb shell before they went isg, do they do this now as it seems a bit backward? The nut is 54mm in diameter, a lot bigger than any bb I have had to remove before.
Cheers.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The chain guide mounts just like ISCG guide plates do (with 3 bolts)
shimano-steps-chainguide-for-e8000-drive-unit-mount-black-grey-EV327261-8570-1.jpg

but to fit/remove it you'll first need to remove the right crank arm (same fitting and tools as any HTII L/H crank), and then remove the chainring spider. held on with the lockring (Guessing this is the nut you mention) with the TL38 tool. it's a reverse thread BTW.

Although the Pivot Shuttle doesn't use the official shimano chain guide the first part of this motor removal guide should be helpful for you.

https://www.pivotcycles.com/en/file/download/3596

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles