What to tell the non eMtb riders.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I figure, the more people we get on ebikes, the more accepted and the cheaper they will become.

I often get riders say, i’ll Stick to my normal bike, don’t think I’ll get a ebike till I’m really old and crippled, then maybe. They think an ebike is just for the old and disabled, and if your not too old or fit, you have no place or right to be on an ebike.

I have recently changed the opinions of a few that have had these or similar opinions of ebikes and their riders. And have got them thinking, maybe I should look at getting one.

How ?? I just tell the the following facts.
You will ride more and ride longer and this added practice will increase your skills. (Most ride a road bike to increase fitness)

You can keep in your heart rate zone a lot easier and for a lot longer as it makes the land flatter. It’s a great training tool, like a spin bike where you can keep things constant. You don’t have to use the full power, and can adjust it to suit your needs.

You ride faster on the trails, your reflexes increase as a result and your braking skills improve.

You can session parts of trail or obsticals with way less fatigue, which causes crashes. This is also true for the whole trail or ride.

They allow you to pick different and more technical lines up hills thus increasing your skill level.

They are little harder to balance on slow techy sections, but you will find your balance and core strength will increase because of the weight penalty.

Just fn get one, it will make you a way more skilled rider and you’ll have a sheet load of fun on the ups, downs and everywhere in between.

Oh yeah, sure sure, keep
Your current bike and ride it for fun and fitness. But get a ebike and ride it say 20-30% of the time, it will increase your skills heaps.

In the back of my mind I think if they get a ebike they are more likely to ride it 80-90% of the time. But shush, don’t tell em. Baby steps baby steps.

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
Some people you will never convince. Their loss really.

The others, just have them ride yours.

Or show them my memes
8C91BC14-CDCB-4CD6-BDA1-58069B9E22FA.jpeg

7A40F0DE-C4AC-4E9E-8EC2-EAF87DF7AA16.jpeg

1D59C224-8EE3-4AEE-9EF7-6FC55CE76546.jpeg

Mb2rrf

Jul 29, 2018
Bolton
I just say “sorry” when passing them while they push uphill. I’m also a normal bike rider too so I say sorry to myself aswell ?. Jokes aside most people just carry the opinions of others from the internet. And guarantee 80% or more have never ridden one.

Carlos Muralhas

Jun 15, 2018
Portugal
Me wanting an eBike started a sort of conflict between me and some of my common bike "friends" that I learned the annoying way to be anti-eBike. I tested an eBike 4 times while riding with them and they just used those days to pick and pick and pick. Any mishap with the eBike it's the "electric part's fault", it's the "more weight fault", any mishap on me it's the "eBike fault", it's the "if it's like this I won't ever want one", ETC ETC ETC when in reality was because I was still learning to use it.

The end of the riding along with them was always because of the best nonsense one of them all. I was riding slow to acompany them on their normal bikes and they went on constantly: "but its only this?", "It only climbs like ours", "why have a heavy bike for this?" and so I always said "ok, goodbye, have fun" and sped up some hill never to see them that day again. After that is "You're a different guy when riding an eBike, it transforms people to not being nice" argument. Got fed up with the talk. It was very annoying really.

I just bought one and started riding with other guys lol.

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
Me wanting an eBike started a sort of conflict between me and some of my common bike "friends" that I learned the annoying way to be anti-eBike. I tested an eBike 4 times while riding with them and they just used those days to pick and pick and pick. Any mishap with the eBike it's the "electric part's fault", it's the "more weight fault", any mishap on me it's the "eBike fault", it's the "if it's like this I won't ever want one", ETC ETC ETC when in reality was because I was still learning to use it.

The end of the riding along with them was always because of the best nonsense one of them all. I was riding slow to acompany them on their normal bikes and they went on constantly: "but its only this?", "It only climbs like ours", "why have a heavy bike for this?" and so I always said "ok, goodbye, have fun" and sped up some hill never to see them that day again. After that is "You're a different guy when riding an eBike, it transforms people to not being nice" argument. Got fed up with the talk. It was very annoying really.

That's one way to deal with it :)
You could also speed up the hill and wait for them while you train wheelies, manuals and stuff and still being fresh when they arrive. Or speed up, then down and up and down again, getting more fun out of your rides than they are and they would clearly see it.
Or just let them ride your bike and they probably shut up forever. If not - so what - enjoy riding and don't let their stupidity or ignorance ruin your fun :)

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia
I figure, the more people we get on ebikes, the more accepted and the cheaper they will become.

I often get riders say, i’ll Stick to my normal bike, don’t think I’ll get a ebike till I’m really old and crippled, then maybe. They think an ebike is just for the old and disabled, and if your not too old or fit, you have no place or right to be on an ebike.

I have recently changed the opinions of a few that have had these or similar opinions of ebikes and their riders. And have got them thinking, maybe I should look at getting one.

How ?? I just tell the the following facts.
You will ride more and ride longer and this added practice will increase your skills. (Most ride a road bike to increase fitness)

You can keep in your heart rate zone a lot easier and for a lot longer as it makes the land flatter. It’s a great training tool, like a spin bike where you can keep things constant. You don’t have to use the full power, and can adjust it to suit your needs.

You ride faster on the trails, your reflexes increase as a result and your braking skills improve.

You can session parts of trail or obsticals with way less fatigue, which causes crashes. This is also true for the whole trail or ride.

They allow you to pick different and more technical lines up hills thus increasing your skill level.

They are little harder to balance on slow techy sections, but you will find your balance and core strength will increase because of the weight penalty.

Just fn get one, it will make you a way more skilled rider and you’ll have a sheet load of fun on the ups, downs and everywhere in between.

Oh yeah, sure sure, keep
Your current bike and ride it for fun and fitness. But get a ebike and ride it say 20-30% of the time, it will increase your skills heaps.

In the back of my mind I think if they get a ebike they are more likely to ride it 80-90% of the time. But shush, don’t tell em. Baby steps baby steps.
A heap of bloody good points here, and I've used a few of them on both my friends and also people I meet on the trails. Most folks I have met on the trails are inquisitive and interested, but a few have been a bit snobbish; as if the EMTB is something they would never consider.

I am absolutely loving my EMTB and I'm barely riding my dirt bikes any more. My fitness is increasing greatly and I'm improving my MTB skills at the same time. I am addicted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tori

Apr 1, 2018
Australia

I think you made the right decision. I think, in a year or two or five, you might come across the same guys on EMTB and they will apologise for alienating you :)

davegixer

Jul 7, 2018
UK
A heap of bloody good points here, and I've used a few of them on both my friends and also people I meet on the trails. Most folks I have met on the trails are inquisitive and interested, but a few have been a bit snobbish; as if the EMTB is something they would never consider.

I am absolutely loving my EMTB and I'm barely riding my dirt bikes any more. My fitness is increasing greatly and I'm improving my MTB skills at the same time. I am addicted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Same. Totally addicted. I hope there is no cure.

Mabman

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 28, 2018
Oregon USA
I mainly ride where there isn't anyone. Problem solved.

But a few months ago I did get invited into a ride group and no one seems to mind and no jabs at my assist asset except for the occasional "I hate you" as I say "pardon me" while passing them walking their bike up some steep track in the woods when I tag along. I have another friend that I ride with sometimes that is so prime for an eBike as he is older, overweight somewhat, and doesn't get out as much as he should due to his work ethic being nose down much of the time. He's ridden my bikes and knows that it is what he needs and is curious but something is keeping him from putting down on one.

All I can say is life is too short to not have as much fun as you can.....

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I mainly ride where there isn't anyone. Problem solved.

But a few months ago I did get invited into a ride group and no one seems to mind and no jabs at my assist asset except for the occasional "I hate you" as I say "pardon me" while passing them walking their bike up some steep track in the woods when I tag along. I have another friend that I ride with sometimes that is so prime for an eBike as he is older, overweight somewhat, and doesn't get out as much as he should due to his work ethic being nose down much of the time. He's ridden my bikes and knows that it is what he needs and is curious but something is keeping him from putting down on one.

All I can say is life is too short to not have as much fun as you can.....

People think if you need to loose a few kg or get fitter then to ride a ebike is wrong and you won’t achieve your goals. And your better of on a conventional bike.

This is so wrong wrong wrong !!!

Riding a conventional bike will certainly make you achieve your goal of weight loss and fitness. However when your unfit and overweight it will be a real hard slog. You are likely to throw in the towel early on and you are at an increased risk of injury. More stress on the joints, and ligerments, more stress on the heart, more fatigue making you more likely to crash.

Riding an ebike will still make you achieve your weight loss and fitness goals. You will ride for longer and more as you’ll be having a sheet load of fun. Not likely you will give up, as you’ll still be having a sheet load of fun. All the risks above are reduced.
Added bonus is you will be able to keep your hr in the fat burning zone for longer and easier, as the trails and roads become flatter.

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
People think if you need to loose a few kg or get fitter then to ride a ebike is wrong and you won’t achieve your goals. And your better of on a conventional bike.

This is so wrong wrong wrong !!!

Riding a conventional bike will certainly make you achieve your goal of weight loss and fitness. However when your unfit and overweight it will be a real hard slog. You are likely to throw in the towel early on and you are at an increased risk of injury. More stress on the joints, and ligerments, more stress on the heart, more fatigue making you more likely to crash.

Riding an ebike will still make you achieve your weight loss and fitness goals. You will ride for longer and more as you’ll be having a sheet load of fun. Not likely you will give up, as you’ll still be having a sheet load of fun. All the risks above are reduced.
Added bonus is you will be able to keep your hr in the fat burning zone for longer and easier, as the trails and roads become flatter.

That's so true. I have my Kenevo since 12 days now and already lost 2kg, since i'm now able to stay in the right heart rate zone - i did struggle to archieve that with my other bike since i always tend to give full power and climb up the hill with my max hr of 180. Now it get up the same climbs much faster but with a hr of 150-160 which is much better to burn the fat instead of pulling the energy from the muscles. And all without fatigue on the next day, so riding again and again whenever i want and i'm riding my trails a quadruple times more than i was able before - not only improving my fitness, but also the techniques. I've already made big progress in my jumping skills since i was able to hit those trail jumps 20 times a day instead of only two times :)
Of course i still do cardio training with maxed out hr, but now i do it when i want it, not on every climb :)

Last edited:

Ade

Founding Member
Apr 2, 2018
West Sussex
To be honest, I havnt had much bad feeling from riding an ebike. Of course there has been a few small minded people but most of the 'P' taking is done in jest and I respond in kind. My main riding buddy is younger and rides a conventional bike and he loves it and wouldnt have an ebike but thats his call, He takes the 'P out of me being old and knackered and needing an ebike, and I return the favor when I leave him on the climbs, However, we are very evenly matched on the downhill sections.
I did get jeered at the other week by half a dozen or so shouting " thats cheating", but I soon saw they where on ebikes aswell :ROFLMAO:

Tucker

Apr 12, 2018
Hull
people i find who dont like these bikes are mostly your hardcore roadie type like my old man who goes out and does 100mile rides, he calls me a cheat for having one, but no matter how much i try and explain to him the reasons for it, he just can't grasp it, and that's due to him riding for different reasons to me, he rides because he likes to suffer!! and that's his enjoyment, whereas i ride for fun and the thrill of the descent, and with an ebike I can do double the descent and (fun) what i use to in half the time! plus i save a lot of energy for the descent too. Perfect bike in my eyes for what i do.

we all have our reasons to ride one and not to ride one, each to there own. but what i dont agree with is all of the sheep out there who just jump on the bandwagon and dismiss ebikes/ slate them without even trying one, and thats how the hate spreads with more sheep talking shit they know nothing about!!

i dont even try and convince people anymore how good they are. its there loss

Wiltshire Warrior

E*POWAH Master
Jul 3, 2018
Poole
You should see all the guff about 26er vs 29er - but if the rider is fit it makes no difference.

But E MTBing is a whole new ball game - *pick the average speed you want (under 16mph) and off you go

If you have a nyon this will managed that for you.

I cant see myself going back to my normal MTB's soon, this is far more fun.

Highflyer

Patreon
Mar 29, 2018
Northern Ireland
All to often as you cruise past other riders who are well into their FIRST climb of the day whilst your on your FOURTH you hear " thats cheating " shouted out from behind you I simply glance back and ask " and cable cars, chair lifts and minibus rides are ok then ? " I don't push anywhere I peddle :censored:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I’m finding that a preemptive cry of “S’cuz me, cheater coming through!” works well; it usually gets a double take followed by a laugh and a bit of a conversation. In fact all my recent guides have started out that way.

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
I was sat on a local trail next to a guy having a chat on a short after work blast. He looked over said 'that's a serious bit of kit', I simply thanked him and we carried on chatting. Neither of us mentioned it was an e-bike and we simply talked about the trail like normal bikers.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
I saw a guy an ebike, told him he was cheating. He explained that it was great and he got loads of riding in...don't think he noticed my bright green kenevo :)

John Locke

May 14, 2018
Yorba Linda, CA
I will often say to those that haven't ridden an EMTB, yeah I paid $10K for my carbon fiber Specialized Stumpjumper to help make my off-road riding easier so I can have more fun. Technology changes, it's really fun now, and it costs less for twice the fun, not to mention opening up more routes I normally wouldn't choose.

Tim29

Jul 10, 2018
Left the building
I ride with deveral conventional bike die hards. Do finally i started shreddifbrhe wider trails up way past them. Then go down psssibf by them to bottom and climb again. Usually by the end of the ride i have 4-7 more miles then them and 70% more elevation climbed.
After a few strava comparison they started thinking hmm. Maybe there is as much workout when they look st my average heart rate conspired to there’s. My peak is down from there’s but my average is higher!!

jwrx

Jul 22, 2018
Malaysia

I got invites to a Levo launch event for my entire group of regular ride buddies...got them all hooked..and we negoed a bulk buy deal with the local spez dealer...20% off rrp + free upgrade to ohlins TTX + free tubless etc...win win...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles