What specific ebike parts are worth buying?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Oh... Hold on. I'm being a dumbass.. The "mode selector" IS the link from a zee FR mech.
So yeah. What I said above will allow a Saint mech to work with an 11-36 cassette.
And if you're really lucky will stretch to an 11-42. I wouldn't tho. Chain tension in the 11t on a FS bike will be shite!

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I just had to post this ?
New bottle-cage arrived and it had this logo on...

808C7F85-D74F-4D93-AD6A-1E1BBC3D8342.jpeg

So glad it’s e-bike approved. I just couldn’t bear to drink water out of one that wasn’t.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
IMHO there are really almost no parts that are truly specific to EMTB. Ebike saddles do make sense, since many ebikes climb really well when rider is sitting down.

Surely one would benefit selecting beefier, more robust, suspension. Maybe some valving/shimming work to give more resistance for bottoming out and mid stroke support, i.e. more progressivity and beefier parts could be nice really.

However, in my opinion the parts of power train and especially the chain and sprockets are currently lacking. I am eagerly awaiting for sealed chains, motorcycle style, to make them last longer and cut down on maintenance.

Ebike brakes feel to me poor compared to motorbike parts, and by this I am referring to need for constant maintenance. I do not recall needing to adjust/bleed/change brake pads too often when I used to race motorbike enduro and motocross. However, I do not yet have experience with 220 mm brakes. Actually, the braking power with the 203 mm brakes that I have used I have found being plentiful. It is just the amount for wrenching that I am not happy with.
there is a power hit with o ring or x ring chains (on motorbikes) - that's why people don't race with them. I imagine they wouldn't work too well on cassettes. Maybe a rohloff or something like that.

Last edited:

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I am going to say forks. Many will say WTF - No Way, but I am saying it and sticking to it.
Riding the 900 Tuned the other day with FOX 36 Float Factory 150mm Fork I noticed there was no movement in the front like I found with the Rockshox Lyrik on my Levo. Yes the Fox is 36mm as opposed to the 35mm of the Lyrik but I think the difference is the heavier crown giving a little more rigidity. At my weight and pushing hard I feel things like fork & tire sidewall flex and they get into my head causing me to ease off. My body probably appreciates not getting slammed onto the ground but my mind goes ... WTF, go harder you pussy.

AlexRus

Mar 30, 2019
Russia
I am going to say forks. Many will say WTF - No Way, but I am saying it and sticking to it.
Riding the 900 Tuned the other day with FOX 36 Float Factory 150mm Fork I noticed there was no movement in the front like I found with the Rockshox Lyrik on my Levo. Yes the Fox is 36mm as opposed to the 35mm of the Lyrik but I think the difference is the heavier crown giving a little more rigidity. At my weight and pushing hard I feel things like fork & tire sidewall flex and they get into my head causing me to ease off. My body probably appreciates not getting slammed onto the ground but my mind goes ... WTF, go harder you pussy.
at the legs of the Fox36 eBike specific the walls are 1 mm thicker than with a regular Fox36

Like a Boss

Feb 25, 2020
USA
Im looking for a wheelset. DT Swiss is on board with electric marketing and says their hybrid wheel sets and hubs are more durable. The DT Swiss 350 hybrid hub is said have more mass and and a more durable freehub for e bike use. Maybe it’s not a bad idea to use those hubs for an ebike?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I down think the the DT Swiss marketing it far off the mark, obviously they hype it up, but what they are doing with their wheel sets and hubs under the hybrid line is solid - main difference is steel hub body IIRc rather than alloy, the alloy gets chewed up pretty bad on lots of wheels by the cassette due to the extra force going though them on an emtb.

Heres a regular M1900 DT Swiss spline after 3 months/500 or so miles of use on EMTB

Screenshot 2020-05-05 at 22.09.00.png

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I down think the the DT Swiss marketing it far off the mark, obviously they hype it up, but what they are doing with their wheel sets and hubs under the hybrid line is solid - main difference is steel hub body IIRc rather than alloy, the alloy gets chewed up pretty bad on lots of wheels by the cassette due to the extra force going though them on an emtb.

Heres a regular M1900 DT Swiss spline after 3 months/500 or so miles of use on EMTB
I yhink that is largely due to slight mismatch of the freehub with the cassette. I have done 700 miles all offroad and no marks on my freehub. Ps need to differentiate between the hub and the freehub.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I yhink that is largely due to slight mismatch of the freehub with the cassette. I have done 700 miles all offroad and no marks on my freehub. Ps need to differentiate between the hub and the freehub.
I have 3 sets of the wheels, either with XT or SLX and they all do the same, thats why brands are now using steel on their EMTB specific wheels. As an fyi I dont think you need EMTB specific wheels, but there is some logic to them

Varaxis

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2018
California, USA
I need some ebike specific wheels. Already had 3 end up as total losses. I've only gone through 2 total losses in the last 10 years on normal bikes. Stole my current set off my latest classic bike...

I liked the look of the Newmen ones.

I'd like some stouter stuff in general. My ebike experience feels like the time when I went to 29ers from 26, regarding things feeling flimsy. The brakes' effect on the fork, tire failure, the wheels being tortured...

I wouldn't be surprised to see new standards down the road, that sized things up proportionally, to get strength and stiffness through design, rather than simply adding mass and using stronger materials (that are pricier). Good to see brake systems with thicker, larger diameter rotors. I'm eyeing those Ghost GND 155mm length crankarms too.

Aitrui

May 16, 2020
Budapest

I have a Ebike spec 160mm Fox36 performance fork on my bike, they replaced lower leg in warranty, after 300 miles it's doing the same clunking noise again, the stanchion is loose in the leg. The damper died after they serviced the fork. I'm not sure how normal Fox36 perform, or reliable, but these ebike spec ones are not that great. As i heard, you can't even replace the bushes on the legs, because of the thin walls.

They also replaced the rear shock, it just died, no damping, extreme sag.

Aitrui

May 16, 2020
Budapest

The only thing on my bike I trust are the wheels and the bosch engine. DT swiss H1700 hybrid wheels and 350 hybrid hubs close to 3k km, lot of abuse, I can't even believe how it can handle all of this. They have some rock marks, but both of them nearly perfect still.

I just serviced the hubs, the rachets looks like new, no marks on the freebody (EX1 casette, so only around 5mm contact point inside, and not much more outside, such a stupid design).

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles