What specific ebike parts are worth buying?

FOG

Oct 5, 2018
Sheffield UK
I realise manufacturers are sticking the letter 'e' in front of everything to justify a price hike, but what specific e parts do people think are worth buying? I am in the market for a chain and was just going to buy a reasonable quality one as all the chains labelled 'ebike' seem three times the price.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Chain, chainring for sure. I'd say, believe it or not, tires should be offered in an eMTB-optimized format. The amount of power/torque put to the ground definitely deforms tires in a different way. And for studded tires, eMTBs have a tendency to tear the studs out. I'm unaware of any eMTB-specific tires but it seems a natural progression.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
My front forks are RockShox Judy Silver and the width is only 30mm which I’m always worried they will snap in the wind. The Wife’s Suntours are 34mm and look very big and beefy by comparison.

Although rather thin and flimsy I can at least rest easy at night as the RockShox do at least say E-bike specific on them.

So my vote would go for E-bike specific forks

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
My front forks are RockShox Judy Silver and the width is only 30mm which I’m always worried they will snap in the wind. The Wife’s Suntours are 34mm and look very big and beefy by comparison.

Although rather thin and flimsy I can at least rest easy at night as the RockShox do at least say E-bike specific on them.

So my vote would go for E-bike specific forks

...though pretty much any 35/36mm tubed fork will do fine on an eMTB.

Simoto123

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west
Chain, chainring for sure. I'd say, believe it or not, tires should be offered in an eMTB-optimized format. The amount of power/torque put to the ground definitely deforms tires in a different way. And for studded tires, eMTBs have a tendency to tear the studs out. I'm unaware of any eMTB-specific tires but it seems a natural progression.

The E Wild tyres and eddy current are going toward e specific. Ive noticed a situation lately that leads me to agree with your sentiments regarding e rubber. Namely, I recently refitted a tube in my rear wheel after months tubeless. My experience since, despite similar pressure has been. Slightly improved range, improved feel in corners/g outs. Most noticeable the traction when climbing Is improved quite dramatically.
Even though I went tubeless in search of lighter rotational forces and improved feel and handling. I will definitely be specifying a heavier casing in my next rear tyre at least.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Think it's a bit gimmicky myself. I've nothing 'e' specific on my levo. Not even drivetrain. Alloy chain ring. They've done over 1000 miles still on the same chain.

And if anything would break or fail, it would happen to me.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I realise manufacturers are sticking the letter 'e' in front of everything to justify a price hike

It's not really so much to justify a price hike as to tempt clueless noobs to buy MOAR stuff.
Basic marketing really.
Can't say I've really seen anything bar SRAM's shite E-specific cassette/chain that's actually overpriced (compared to mtb parts of similar quality).

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
Perhaps the only plausible 'e-bike' parts that I've seen are complete drive systems like Box Components 8&9 speed groupsets. Fewer gears means beefier gear, but still has a wide range and a fatter chain. But then again they're not E-bike specific but marketed as ideal for E-bikes.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Perhaps the only plausible 'e-bike' parts that I've seen are complete drive systems like Box Components 8&9 speed groupsets.
Box E drivetrain is terrible quality and extremely poor durability/longevity
Fewer gears means beefier gear,
No. it doesn't. Not in Box's or SRAM's Ebike components anyway.
but still has a wide range
with a poorer selection of gearing. ie. too large jumps at the small end.
and a fatter chain.
again. nope!

10 speed shimano wipes the floor with both SRAM and BOX shitty "E specific" drivetrains.
And costs waaay lesss than either.

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I don't think it is a matter of being e Bike specific but rather just taking account of the greater momentum of a heavier bike, and a bike ( if indeed that applies for any specific bike) that is likely to be used all mountain or Enduro rather than XC and trail......because it can! Most E bikes already have the kit required as standard...….4 pot brakes, bigger rotors, beefier forks, custom tuning of suspension etc. I use standard chains and find no difference in terms of wear between them and supposed E Bike specific chains. I think the biggest difference between E Mtbs and analogue MTBs is the amount of attention given to servicing...ie more regular with the E MTB.

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
Box E drivetrain is terrible quality and extremely poor durability/lonevity

No. it doesn't. Not in Box's or SRAM's Ebike components anyway.

with a poorer selection of gearing. ie. too large jumps at the small end.

again. nope!

10 speed shimano wipes the floor with both SRAM and BOX shitty "E specific" drivetrains.
And costs waaay lesss than either.

Hello Gary, always good to hear from you mate:)

What cheaper/better shimano system are you referring to?

Box's new groupsets are not on the market till Feb so I'm guessing you're talking about their previous range. I've ordered the Box 4 8sp so I will be interested to see what the quality is like. Considering it cost $150 USD, I'm expecting anything amazing either, if it works smoothly, I'll be happy.

The chains on the 8spd have the same internal dimensions as other narrow-wide chains but the plates are thicker.

In terms of gear selection, I can't see an issue but time will tell.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
What cheaper/better shimano system are you referring to?
10 speed shimano.
I did say. ;)
but specifically Deore/SLX/tiagra/105 level cassettes,
SLX/Deore/Zee/Saint mechs and shifters (Saint mechs being a DH part will only do narrow range cassettes and Zee (FR version) only upto a 36t sprocket, whereas Deore/SLX will manage a 42T sprocket)
but use SRAM 10 speed chains over Shimano

My current drivetrain (2 sets of wheels) is Zee shifter, Zee(FR) mech, SRAM 1030 chain(s) cheap 36T NW ring and an 11-25 Tiagra cassette (commuting wheelset) 11-36t Deore cassette (Emtb wheelset).
I ride 100miles+ a week and couldn't be happier with performance/VFM/durability/running cost

Disclaimer. I don't ever need lower than 36/36 on an Emtb unless it's switched off and have do do a lot of steep climbing

Box 4 8sp so I will be interested to see what the quality is like.
SHIT!

Do you still have time to cancel your order?

Seriously. If their flagship Emtb groupset is shocking how on earth are they going to punt out something any better at HALF the price?

The chains on the 8spd have the same internal dimensions as other narrow-wide chains but the plates are thicker.
Plates don't need to be any thicker unless you're snapping them.
Bicycle chains wear at the pins/rollers. Not the plates
and they generally fail at the point where the pin is held by the plate.

Last edited:

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
Lol good info Gazza but I'll keep my order and won't let my ego keep me from saying "you're right" if it turns to shite.

Now go ride your tiny cassette to McD's and get a Happy Meal! ;)

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
For every part marketed as an ebike specific part there is an equivalent strength and quality part already available.
Tyres for instance... same strength can be had by going to a downhill casing.
The E just dumbs it down for everyone to make a suitable choice, and you pay for it.

Bit like if you are after a photographer it’s x amount, but mention it is for a wedding and the price doubles ?‍♂️

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Threadlock, Mastic, Bathroom sealant, waterproof tape and motofoam even more so
Not that any of those are sold as E-bike specific products ;)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
My front forks are RockShox Judy Silver and the width is only 30mm
TBF BITD I cased a 52ft double and nose landed a 10ft drop to flat on a set of OG 28mm stanchion Judys. Both bike's the fork survived un damaged. The head tubes both failed though. One flared, the other cracked.
Head tubes/steerers are stronger these days andmost Ebikers weigh considerably more than I did back then so a modern 30mm fork's lowers/crown /stanchions will be taking more force but how many Ebikers genuinely even hit features that big on short travel Eebs with wee forks ?

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
TBF BITD I cased a 52ft double and nose landed a 10ft drop to flat on a set of OG 28mm stanchion Judys. Both bike's the fork survived un damaged. The head tubes both failed though. One flared, the other cracked.
Head tubes/steerers are stronger these days andmost Ebikers weigh considerably more than I did back then so a modern 30mm fork's lowers/crown /stanchions will be taking more force but how many Ebikers genuinely even hit features that big on short travel Eebs with wee forks ?

Very true. From pavement to road, off a kerb is probably the scariest drop I do and i‘d probably only attempt that after a few cans of Red Bull.

Feeling better now that my forks have the “Gary Seal of Approval” ? ?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
From pavement to road, off a kerb is probably the scariest drop I do

Remember ... speed is your friend ! (as in velocity, rather than the drug)... Most of my accidents have happened because I was going too slow ... the rest - because I was going too fast o_O

after a few cans of Red Bull

Make sure you buy Red Bull"E" ... It's specifically formulated for e-bikers so that it's sugars do not instantly form as fat on your arse.

Timochka69

Jan 31, 2018
Helsinki
IMHO there are really almost no parts that are truly specific to EMTB. Ebike saddles do make sense, since many ebikes climb really well when rider is sitting down.

Surely one would benefit selecting beefier, more robust, suspension. Maybe some valving/shimming work to give more resistance for bottoming out and mid stroke support, i.e. more progressivity and beefier parts could be nice really.

However, in my opinion the parts of power train and especially the chain and sprockets are currently lacking. I am eagerly awaiting for sealed chains, motorcycle style, to make them last longer and cut down on maintenance.

Ebike brakes feel to me poor compared to motorbike parts, and by this I am referring to need for constant maintenance. I do not recall needing to adjust/bleed/change brake pads too often when I used to race motorbike enduro and motocross. However, I do not yet have experience with 220 mm brakes. Actually, the braking power with the 203 mm brakes that I have used I have found being plentiful. It is just the amount for wrenching that I am not happy with.

Mike james

Jun 11, 2019
Tr275dq
Michelin do the e wild tyre I have a 27.5x2.6 on the rear of my Giant it is very good

Bjorn

Aug 4, 2019
Tromsø
Shimano says all of their drivetrains from 10 speed and up, and the brakes, are ebike rated. So i guess there is no need to go for Shimanos ebike specific components. They just seem to be overpriced.

10 speed shimano.
I did say. ;)
but specifically Deore/SLX/tiagra/105 level cassettes,
SLX/Deore/Zee/Saint mechs and shifters (Saint mechs being a DH part will only do narrow range cassettes

10 speed seems to be the most cost effective drivetrain, and it also has enough range for most people i belive. I am concidering to go this route, 36-11, with saint rd-m820. Are you sure it is not compatible with the wide range cassette? I've heard others say the same, but Shimanos homepage says it is compatible.
RD-M820-SS

The short cage would be a huge benefit for me, since it sits higher from the ground, and will reduce rock strikes.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Shimano says all of their drivetrains from 10 speed and up, and the brakes, are ebike rated. So i guess there is no need to go for Shimanos ebike specific components. They just seem to be overpriced.

10 speed seems to be the most cost effective drivetrain, and it also has enough range for most people i belive. I am concidering to go this route, 36-11, with saint rd-m820. Are you sure it is not compatible with the wide range cassette? I've heard others say the same, but Shimanos homepage says it is compatible.
RD-M820-SS

The short cage would be a huge benefit for me, since it sits higher from the ground, and will reduce rock strikes.
Don't quote me on this but it may be possible to convert a Saint mech to work with larger sprockets by swapping out the mounting link from a Zee FR mech.
Not a lot of point tho.
Zee is half the price and performs exactly the same.
A Saint shifter is nicer than zee though.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles