What size cranks is every one using?

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
After a piss poor attempt at the road gap on shredder @ AE forest my bike feels like it's out of Billy Smarts Circus.
So I'm in need of new crank arms.
What size has everyone settled on?
I did mabie forest and kirroughtree the next day and was clashing pedals like a gudun, went back to mabie this morning and realised I'd lost a bit o air from rear shock so that's part to blame and more so my lack of talent.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
"Everyone" as in folk who hit the gap smoothly or clumsy Ebikers?

165 or 170 for the former. Billy smart's mate should be able to help with the latter.

1596476446988.jpeg

If you can cope with normal clearance I'd just go with 165mm Shimanos rather than overpriced hopes or bargain basement weak as Mirandas

thebarber

E*POWAH Elite
May 28, 2018
Norfeast
"Everyone" as in folk who hit the gap smoothly or clumsy Ebikers?

165 or 170 for the former. Billy smart's mate should be able to help with the latter.

View attachment 37290

If you can cope with normal clearance I'd just go with 165mm Shimanos rather than overpriced hopes or bargain basement weak as Mirandas
DingDong ?
I've seen the pic on another post.
Just wanted to be sure shmomo's are worth sticking with, tbh it's the first set I've wounded and my fault for not committing.
I think mine are 170 so I'll give 165s a go, if I can find em that is.
Seems they're in short supply.
Cheers

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
When I got my first ESommet (with 170mm arms) I was hoping Shimano would bring out a Saint level crank in 165mm as that's what i run on most of my normal bikes (6 sets of saints). but now I know just how durable the main bearings are (not) I'm kinda glad the cranks aren't Saint strength or stiffness as i can see it contributing to even faster bearing failure.
The Hopes really are massively overpriced and from reports and personal view (replacing other folks bent arms) I just wouldn't trust a Miranda crank arm under me.
Try Germany for Shimano - better pricing and the big online shops seem to have better stock than here.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
haha... yeah

left hand arm has a left hand pedal thread, right is right hand.

davosaurusrex

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 21, 2018
Worthing
I have the 165 Shimanos and they're good, ideally I'd like a 160 version though, not so much for DH trails where you have enough momentum to time pedal strokes but more for tech flat and uphill trails. Shame Shimano don't do a 160 and I'm not sure I trust Mirandas either. Also the name of that shit TV comedy, just don't want it on my bike!
That said mate has the 160 Mirandas and he rides pretty hard. Only had them a couple of months though so we'll see

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles