What should I buy?????

Minards

Oct 18, 2019
East Yorkshire
Good afternoon,
I could do with some guidance please.
I have always been into mtb’ing and still own a specialized stump jumper.
I am ready to take the plunge on an E MTB but I am torn between 2 or 3 bikes.
Option 1: the cheaper one. Vitus E Sommet with the XT group.
Pros: the spec and price
Cons: the colour and issue with the area around the bottom bracket getting gunned up. Can’t fit a bottle cage & it’s not the best looking bike.
option 2: canyon spectral 7.0
Pros: price and spec. I have always had alloy framed bikes and find the material to be reliable.
Cons: I saw it at £3,550 in the end of season sale. I was not in a position to order at this time. Now back to full price ☹️
Option 3: yt decoy base
Pros: looks
Cons: is carbon durable especially on a heavy bike?
my head says canyon
My heart says yt
My wallet says e sommet (I am a platinum wiggle customer so get 12% off the sommet
Can anyone point me in the right direction?
I have not ridden any of the bikes and will not have the opportunity to do so.
Thank you
Mark

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Vitus E Sommet with the XT group.

Just to confirm .. when you say the XT group, you mean this one ?? (£4999)

Vitus E-Sommet VRX E-Bike (XTR-XT 1x12) 2020 | Chain Reaction Cycles

or this one, the deore (£3199)

Vitus E-Sommet E-Bike (Deore 1x10) 2020 | Chain Reaction Cycles

If it's the second one, then it has the e7000 motor. The other bikes you're looking at have the E8000 motor. Ideally, you'd go for the e8000 motor, it's more powerful and down the line looks like it would be more repairable than the e7000.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Just to confirm .. when you say the XT group, you mean this one ?? (£4999)

Vitus E-Sommet VRX E-Bike (XTR-XT 1x12) 2020 | Chain Reaction Cycles

or this one, the deore (£3199)

Vitus E-Sommet E-Bike (Deore 1x10) 2020 | Chain Reaction Cycles

If it's the second one, then it has the e7000 motor. The other bikes you're looking at have the E8000 motor. Ideally, you'd go for the e8000 motor, it's more powerful and down the line looks like it would be more repairable than the e7000.
Or somewhere in between?
Specialized.jpeg

Minards

Oct 18, 2019
East Yorkshire
I mean this one:

4F34C29C-D02B-4B5E-87A9-17B77728482E.png

It also has the E8000 motor but is my least favourite.
I think my preference is
1. Canyon Spectral
2. YT Decoy

3. And some way behind the above is the e sommet. I just think it’s a bit old fashioned now.
I really like the thought of mullet wheels.
I have had both 29 and 650b bikes before and this would give the best of both I think?

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Heart, not head?

The problem is that most e-mtb's are generally pretty good. In the hands of the majority of us they're probably within a few % capability wise of each other.

Reliability wise, there isn't enough in it to make much of a difference when choosing.

So it comes down to two things.

1. Which one makes you excited ! So which one will you want to ride, and even if it's crap (which it won't be), you'll probably love it ! :) Which one will you look at in the garage in 6 months time and just think "Yeah !" .

2. Some of us are more anxious than others about breakdowns and repairs. If you're that kinda guy, make sure you have access to a good LBS. All the bikes you've suggested are E8000, so you can take them to a shimano dealer and have the motor looked at if that's an issue. All the bikes you've suggested are direct to client/mail order, so you're probably not that worried about it.

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Did you check the Cube 2020 line?:unsure:
Good price, specs and carbon frames .
Maybe a litle conservative geometry.

iainc

Jul 21, 2019
Glasgow
Whilst I buy most components, tools and spares online I wouldn’t do it with an ebike. It will go wrong eventually, motor wise, and having a bricks and mortar shop to take it back to for them to send motor away/warranty is very much an essential IMO.

Minards

Oct 18, 2019
East Yorkshire
Whilst I buy most components, tools and spares online I wouldn’t do it with an ebike. It will go wrong eventually, motor wise, and having a bricks and mortar shop to take it back to for them to send motor away/warranty is very much an essential IMO.
I do understand your point but direct bikes are so much better value.
I guess the main issues would be with the battery and motor?
The YT does only have a 6 month battery warranty which is a slight concern, the canyon has a Shimano battery which would be easier to get repaired.
I assume any Shimano steps service Center will look at the motor?

ggx

Dec 10, 2018
Sintra
Suggested Cube as it is a good bang for the buck and retail sales /local assistance if near you. There are always small things neading care and attention and have bike ready to roll next day.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Does it ride as well as it looks?
Yes it does! :love:

There will be loads of reviews about.
I rode eight different bikes before choosing the Focus. It was the first one where I just sat and enjoyed riding the bike, instead of thinking about what power mode I was in, how noisy, or how draggy the motor was etc. I rode the first 100 yards or so before I realised that the motor wasn't switched on! :)

As with all test rides, take time to get the bike set up for you. I'm not just talking about suspension sag and saddle position, but lever position, bar height, gear lever position and so forth. Don't forget tyre pressure either. Getting these right can transform a bike from OK to great!

Minards

Oct 18, 2019
East Yorkshire

I rode eight different bikes before choosing the Focus. It was the first one where I just sat and enjoyed riding the bike, instead of thinking about what power mode I was in, how noisy, or how draggy the motor was etc. I rode the first 100 yards or so before I realised that the motor wasn't switched on! :)

As with all test rides, take time to get the bike set up for you. I'm not just talking about suspension sag and saddle position, but lever position, bar height, gear lever position and so forth. Don't forget tyre pressure either. Getting these right can transform a bike from OK to great!

This one looks to be good value!
A150584C-C7EE-4565-BCA4-606287D60E25.png

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have taken the plunge today!
Thanks for the recommendation!
I think it will do everything I want from an e bike. What is the range like if you use it in eco?
When fully charged, it should switch on at 44 miles, in Eco, 33 miles in Trail and 22 miles in Boost. But take them with a pinch of salt. They are the default settings and they will change depending upon how you ride and what you ride. If you go everywhere in Boost at top speed up steep hills then you deffo won't get 22 miles out of it. Ditto if you are a heavy guy carrying a big back pack, with big fat tyres at low pressure through thick mud. You get my drift?

I'm not saying tread super carefully, by all means enjoy your ride. Experiment with the various modes and where you ride. You will soon get a good feel for how far you can go on one charge on the trails you ride, how you ride. I typically get 22 miles where I ride most frequently, with soft tyres and I weigh 14.5 stone in my riding kit (203lbs, 92kg). But earlier this week I did 15 miles on a very hilly trail and used barely a third of the battery. The reason was that the downhills were steep (no battery use) and the climbs were slow because I was following my 12-year old grandson, so I was barely using Eco.

Don't forget that the battery is not used once you go faster than 25kph (15.7mph)

Last edited:

Minards

Oct 18, 2019
East Yorkshire
When fully charged, it should switch on at 44 miles, in Eco, 33 miles in Trail and 22 miles in Boost. But take them with a pinch of salt. They are the default settings and they will change depending upon how you ride and what you ride. If you go everywhere in Boost at top speed up steep hills then you deffo won't get 22 miles out of it. Ditto if you are a heavy guy carrying a big back pack, with big fat tyres at low pressure through thick mud. You get my drift?

I'm not saying tread super carefully, by all means enjoy your ride Experiment with the various modes and where you ride. You will soon get a good feel for how far you can go on one charge on the trails you ride, how you ride. I typically get 22 miles where I ride most frequently, with soft tyres and I weigh 14.5 stone in my riding kit (203lbs, 92kg). But earlier this week I did 15 miles on a very hilly trail and used barely a third of the battery. The reason was that the downhills were steep (no battery use) and the climbs were slow because I was following my 12-year old grandson, so I was barely using Eco.

Don't forget that the battery is not used once you go faster than 25kph (15.7mph)
Thank you

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles