What protection do you recommend?

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
With lockdown easing, the prospect of venturing further afield so I can ride some 'proper' trails is getting more appealing then the country lanes and fire roads around me.

Having come off a couple of months ago and still getting shoulder pains, I'm looking at getting some knee/shin and elbow protection.

I'm not looking for anything too serious, I won't be bombing down mountains or tying any stunts, just your normal old bloke on a bike stuff ;). What do you guys use and/or recommend?

I'd like something thin and not bulky and have looked at:

G-Form
Fox D3O endura/Launch
Race Face D3O
POC

TIA guys :)

Last edited:

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I purchased a pair of Race Face Ambush D30 Elbow Guards from Merlin after an evening in the local A&E, but you need to try them on as other brands and even different Race Face options fitted better than others.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
G-form shirt, knee and elbow pads. Lightest armour I've used, but also effective. Crashed a few times.

The last few years my backpack has been getting lighter and smaller. 10 days ago I was involved in a crash that spun me around and I landed on my back. An exposed root nicely dug into my lower back very close to my spleen and only 1 inch from my spine. It wasn't fun attempting to get off the trail, onto the logging road and then driving home. Could barely move for 5 days, but things have improved a lot since then. This gave me plenty of time to search for a new backpack - and this is the one I purchased:

deksawyer

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jan 11, 2020
Fife, Scotland
The POC Joint VPD Air stuff works for me.... Light, comfy, not too expensive.

Sure it's not downhill protection but I think it's enough for me... Better than nothing as my left knee will tell you.

leftside

Mar 26, 2020
Vancouver
The POC Joint VPD Air stuff works for me.... Light, comfy, not too expensive.

Sure it's not downhill protection but I think it's enough for me... Better than nothing as my left knee will tell you.
That’s also good stuff as well. Beefier than the g-form. I have the POC knee pads.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
With lockdown easing, the prospect of venturing further afield so I can ride some 'proper' trails is getting more appealing then the country lanes and fire roads around me.

Having come off a couple of months ago and still getting shoulder pains, I'm looking at getting some knee/shin and elbow protection.

I'm not looking for anything too serious, I won't be bombing down mountains or tying any stunts, just your normal old bloke on a bike stuff ;). What do you guys use and/or recommend?

I'd like something thin and not bulky and have looked at:

G-Form
Fox 3DO endura/Launch
Race Face 3DO
POC

TIA guys :)
If you want low profile yet protective I definitely recommend Demon at least equal to though more likely better than all others I've tried. Demon X D3O Smartskin are very low profile.

DS5211%20xd30%20smart%20skinn%20knee-375x375.jpg
DS5311%20xd30%20smart%20skinn-375x375.jpg

Elbow/Knee Pads

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Thanks guys, this is all helpful, it looks like D3O might be the way to go. It's thin and effective, so nice and unobtrusive.

@wepn, those Demon pads look good, but I'm not sure they are available in the UK, They're certainly cheaper than the similar looking G-Form D3O pads.

The only issue will be finding anywhere that will let you try any pads on.

Last edited:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I have the race face d30 knee pads. I wear them all the time and never take them off during a ride. Lots of pedalling. Can put them on or off with your shoes on - you don't pull them up over your shoes. They never slip and I don't have them tight. They do have a fault though. They have about a 1" square velcro strap (two each pad) - these are in addition to the two elasic straps with a velcro pad on the end. These are a dumb arse design! You're suppose to use the two little straps to hold, then stretch the elastic over them to lock their velcro ends. The straps are unnecessarily tight if you do this. So I just use the elasticised velcro straps at their loosest stretch and that is ample. The stupidity of the design does make me wonder though. Awesome if you have unusually skinny legs, but even then they could be better designed.

The g form type - a cycling buddy had those. They rely on this piece of tape on the top end to hold position on your legs. Once this tape starts getting worn, the sleeves start to slip. A poor design because they start to fall down while they are still in otherwise excellent condition. While they worked he wore them all the time too and they were also no trouble.

Last edited:

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
I have the race face d30 knee pads. I wear them all the time and never take them off during a ride. Lots of pedalling. Can put them on or off with your shoes on - you don't pull them up over your shoes. They never slip and I don't have them tight. They do have a fault though. They have about a 1" square velcro strap (two each pad) - these are in addition to the two elasic straps with a velcro pad on the end. These are a dumb arse design! You're suppose to use the two little straps to hold, then stretch the elastic over them to lock their velcro ends. The straps are unnecessarily tight if you do this. So I just use the elasticised velcro straps at their loosest stretch and that is ample. The stupidity of the design does make me wonder though. Awesome if you have unusually skinny legs, but even then they could be better designed.

The g form type - a cycling buddy had those. They rely on this piece of tape on the top end to hold position on your legs. Once this tape starts getting worn, the sleeves start to slip. A poor design because they start to fall down while they are still in otherwise excellent condition. While they worked he wore them all the time too and they were also no trouble.

Thanks @urastus, thats useful information, I'll have a look at the Race Face pads.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I swear by my armoured IXS chamois niks (Hack Skid shorts) and Flow zip off knee pads. They get a LOT of use. :) I can tolerate them all year round, even in our Aussie summers.

I've tried a few shirts and except, maybe, the Gform shirt they're all too hot to wear in Summer. I also quite like the Nike light armour that's sold in the US as a soccer/football undershirt. I do wish there was a proper single layer you could wear as an outer that has protection. Layering up in 40 C doesn't work.

Gordon

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I swear by my armoured IXS chamois niks (Hack Skid shorts) and Flow zip off knee pads. They get a LOT of use. :) I can tolerate them all year round, even in our Aussie summers.

I've tried a few shirts and except, maybe, the Gform shirt they're all too hot to wear in Summer. I also quite like the Nike light armour that's sold in the US as a soccer/football undershirt. I do wish there was a proper single layer you could wear as an outer that has protection. Layering up in 40 C doesn't work.

Gordon
How did you go with sizing on those flow zip knee pads? I ordered larger than recommended for me and my partner, still had to return both sets; they were way too small.

Varaxis

Founding Member
Feb 5, 2018
California, USA
You really gotta try them all on. You saved a ton of money and bad experiences by not going cheap, and opting for the higher tech D3O stuff. When you find one that fits comfortably and doesn't warm up the skin too significantly, you'll have find the one you're more likely to wear full time. I know I wasted money on comfortable soft pads that don't absorb impacts (661 Kyle Straits), and uncomfortable hard shells that I dread wearing (Roach pads), and pads that didn't stay in place, didn't offer enough coverage, and overheated me (POC VPD2).

I personally have been using RaceFace Flanks for the past 10 years. Still on my 2nd set, which is working like a champ after many many years. This second set was their 2nd gen version--the first gen version had big perforations in the neoprene that stretched and tore. Not the most comfortable when standing up straight and walking around, due to how the shin pad digs in a little, but on the bike I seem to totally forget about them until people mention that they're envious of them, perhaps after a painful experience going under-protected. I virtually always wear them--the moment I ride without them, things feel a bit too breezy and I become conscious of my flat pedals. It's a strong feeling of something being missing, that throws my whole balance off without them.

Flatslide

E*POWAH Master
Jul 14, 2019
Dunedin NZ
Troy Lee Designs - Speed Knee Sleeves is what I purchased. D30, comfy, light, better than nothing, well made and easy to slide down around your lower legs while pedalling uphill. I wash them in the machine in a lingerie bag, same as my gloves.

Last edited:

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
How did you go with sizing on those flow zip knee pads? I ordered larger than recommended for me and my partner, still had to return both sets; they were way too small.

Ordered the wrong size the first time around, as well. Turns out my son and girlfriend both fit them so I just ordered a larger pair, which I find really comfortable.

But yes, order a larger size than you would normally. Kind of like buying a T-shirt in Asia....

Gordon

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
After another tumble resulting in a swollen knee last week, I finally got the knee pads sorted.

I found these on an Amazon Warehouse deal, they arrived this morning and tested this afternoon.

They're a good fit at the top and slightly loose at the bottom, but they did not slide down during a partly bumpy 30 mile ride over 2 hours.

The POC's are more comfortable than I was expecting too, as I'd read they can take a few rides to get used to them, but they were hardly noticeable after a few minutes and and did not get hot, even with the temperature at 27 degrees.

1597084721410.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles