What power settings are you using?

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
I am off out for my first ride today and I have used custom settings and changed mine to boost = high and trail = medium is this about right as i have no idea and i know we are all different but it seemed to be the most obvious one :)

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
It doesn’t matter what other people are using; just ride it and tune to what suits you and the riding you do.

GuyBerry

Sep 26, 2018
Belgium
Just try a few different settings, ride the ones you like.
I change mine depending on the terrain and the buddies.

Last edited:

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
It doesn’t matter what other people are using; just ride it and tune to what suits you and the riding you do.

Thanks Matty and I do know this and I will make my own decision but I just wondered what others used just out of interest that's all!

Last edited:

eBikeLife

Jan 19, 2019
Bulgaria
Personally i am ridning a giant fathom, and it got 5 power settings.
I use 2 and 3 only.
2 for normal ridning, and 3 for hills.
I think 1 is giving me 100% identical as a non ebike experience, and 4 and 5 is worth less to me, unless you are trying to climb mount everest.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Personally i am ridning a giant fathom, and it got 5 power settings.
I use 2 and 3 only.
2 for normal ridning, and 3 for hills.
I think 1 is giving me 100% identical as a non ebike experience, and 4 and 5 is worth less to me, unless you are trying to climb mount everest.

I had mine set on Trail to medium and boost set to high, eco can't be changed and seeing it was my first ever ride on an ebike it felt fantastic, eco felt really good so did trail and boost :)

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
i have no idea what my Shimano Steps E8000 is set to, whatever the standard setting from the factory is. I haven't been riding the bike long enough to know whether I want anything different yet. Still happy.

However, thanks to this Forum, I now know that Shimano won't allow me to reduce the Eco setting. Therefore despite me starting to form an opinion that I would like Eco to have reduced assist, I realise it's a waste of time even thinking about it

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
I just have mine in Dynamic, I think it makes you work a bit harder on the hills when in trail mode,
although I tend to use eco most of the time unless i'm out for a faster ride like today.
It depends what you like and what the terrain is like where you live. We have lots of hills.

DAZ1925

Nov 7, 2018
UK
You might find this useful or interesting
received_517486872076892.png

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
i have no idea what my Shimano Steps E8000 is set to, whatever the standard setting from the factory is. I haven't been riding the bike long enough to know whether I want anything different yet. Still happy.

However, thanks to this Forum, I now know that Shimano won't allow me to reduce the Eco setting. Therefore despite me starting to form an opinion that I would like Eco to have reduced assist, I realise it's a waste of time even thinking about it
I believe you can change the Eco setting, but it takes the special Shimano dongles so is quite an expensive change.

Last edited:

DAZ1925

Nov 7, 2018
UK
I believe you can do this, but it takes the special Shimano dongles so is quite an expensive change.
You just need to connect your phone via Bluetooth to change the assist settings, no need for a dongle. There is an explorer, dynamic and custom the default settings for each are in the image I posted earier.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
You just need to connect your phone via Bluetooth to change the assist settings, no need for a dongle. There is an explorer, dynamic and custom the default settings for each are in the image I posted earier.

I was about to do my first ride today and when I turned the Jam2 on it said error E13 and wouldn't work!!!! The firmware update I tried to get last night just didn't install so luckily the phone sorted it out but I am not running the latest version!

DAZ1925

Nov 7, 2018
UK
I was about to do my first ride today and when I turned the Jam2 on it said error E13 and wouldn't work!!!! The firmware update I tried to get last night just didn't install so luckily the phone sorted it out but I am not running the latest version!
I think E13 is the error for movement of the pedals whilst initiating (powering up)

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District

The shop should have ensured the bike had the latest version, but I think it only contained language changes so your not missing anything.

ricardowight

Dec 28, 2018
Isle of Wight UK
I ride my Jam2 using the basic factory settings.
I ride in Eco and off mostly, with a few bursts of Trail, and have only used Boost a couple of times in four months!.
I agree with what has been said earlier in this thread, in that it would be cool to be able to reduce Eco assist a little.
I'd be happy if Eco was half the power (so it just negated the bike weight), then the Trail setting was reduced too (to similar assist levels as factory Eco, but with the same 'automatic gearbox' feeling), and Boost was just as the basic trail setting is?
I reckon the potential range increase would be significant, but we would have to put more effort in of course!!
I'm not suggesting that that's how the bikes should come factory setup, but it would be nice if Shimano offered this software option.
I think it would really take advantage of the Jam2 relatively light weight, and get the best possible range out of the 378Wh integrated battery.
Just a thought...

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
I think E13 is the error for movement of the pedals whilst initiating (powering up)

Actually when I couldn't get it going I connected using my phone as I tried to load the latest firmware the previous evening but it didn't finish installing so it told me it was corrupt and it then overwrote the software and took it back to 3.3.3 I think that's the one, when it did that it worked perfectly so I will not bother trying that update again :)

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
No, look again at the image you posted - you cannot change the Eco setting via the Bluetooth method which is what he was wanting to do. For that you need the full diagnostic kit...

Does the motor software need changing when.... - EMTB Forums
There are two ways of altering the shimano system, by the phone app which is very simple, and basically allows you to adjust the assistance levels in the individual modes, and also update the firmware. This connects via bluetooth to the bike.

There is also a more advanced piece of software, laptop/pc based which allows you to change far more, however it requires a special cable and costs a fair bit. This is called the SM-PCE1, and is essentially a diagnostic tool allowing you to update firmware and settings.

What i suspect is that it was the later software that was required to make the alterations, which the bike shop had.

More info on Shimano system here:

Service & Support - Shimano Steps E6000

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

The LBS told me not to touch the pedals whilst turning on the bike. But I still got that error code. I leave my bike chained up to another bike with a workstand in between them. The chain (actually a plastic covered woven wire cable) was resting on the pedal and the other pedal was braced against the workstand. I believe that there must have been some torque being exerted on the crank by the weight of the cable. I moved the bike slightly and then cleared the fault and restarted without a problem. :)

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
The LBS told me not to touch the pedals whilst turning on the bike. But I still got that error code. I leave my bike chained up to another bike with a workstand in between them. The chain (actually a plastic covered woven wire cable) was resting on the pedal and the other pedal was braced against the workstand. I believe that there must have been some torque being exerted on the crank by the weight of the cable. I moved the bike slightly and then cleared the fault and restarted without a problem. :)

Hi Steve how did you clear the fault as I had no idea what to do but my phone did something with the software, I tried to get the 4.1.0 update but it just won't download fully so i won't bother again, which version are you using?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Hi Steve how did you clear the fault as I had no idea what to do but my phone did something with the software, I tried to get the 4.1.0 update but it just won't download fully so i won't bother again, which version are you using?

Every time I have switched on E-Tube, it tells me that the version is 3.3.3 and then starts looking for the latest update, but only ever returns with "You are using the latest version of E-Tube Project"

DAZ1925

Nov 7, 2018
UK
No, look again at the image you posted - you cannot change the Eco setting via the Bluetooth method which is what he was wanting to do. For that you need the full diagnostic kit...

Does the motor software need changing when.... - EMTB Forums
Sorry, I thought you meant you need the dongle to change any assist levels until you edited your post to include eco. I do wish shimano would let us adjust the levels in increments of 1% without the need for us to buy a dongle. Just another way to get more money out of consumers I suppose.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Sorry, I thought you meant you need the dongle to change any assist levels until you edited your post to include eco. I do wish shimano would let us adjust the levels in increments of 1% without the need for us to buy a dongle. Just another way to get more money out of consumers I suppose.

Hi Daz I do find it strange that we can't change the settings to the actual percentage you want it to be as it seems like most others let you, it is just a case of trail in either low/medium/high why not percentage and why not let us alter eco! I wonder if that will change soon.

DAZ1925

Nov 7, 2018
UK
Hi Daz I do find it strange that we can't change the settings to the actual percentage you want it to be as it seems like most others let you, it is just a case of trail in either low/medium/high why not percentage and why not let us alter eco! I wonder if that will change soon.
Hopefully shimano will change it but I'm not holding my breath. If it can be done with a dongle and other manufacturers have it in their app and much more, I don't see why Shimano can't do it. After all something like that could sway customers and ebike manufacturers to go with another brand.

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Hopefully shimano will change it but I'm not holding my breath. If it can be done with a dongle and other manufacturers have it in their app and much more, I don't see why Shimano can't do it. After all something like that could sway customers and ebike manufacturers to go with another brand.

Hey Daz what is this dongle you speak of :) is it expensive and how does it work?

Robbo746

Jan 23, 2020
Coolum Beach Australia
Hi all, Just wondering if someone can explain the assist levels in terms of battery output? I have a 6.8 Jam2. I have the STunlocker app.
The three adjustments are - %assist, power NM, and Watts. Watts and power I feel are self explanatory, but how does the % assist affect the power use? or does it. . .I assume it relates to you as the rider putting effort in to get the motos help,

I'm running stock eco - 60%, 30nm, 500W which I like for the technical step single track we ride.

I have backed the trail power to 50NM but upped support to 100% and 500W

And left boost at stock (I never use it) except to deplete the batters for a full charge,

So my question is, how do the three values effect battery life.??

Thanks.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles