What new grips to replace stock?

driftmonkey

Apr 7, 2020
Marlow
Hi all, toying with the idea of replacing my grips on my E-Sommet. The stock one's are grippy but I do feel you get quite a lot of harsh vibration back through the bars as they are so thin.

Has anyone replaced? If so - what grips have you gone for?

Quite like the look of the ODI Elite Pro / Ergon fat grips / or the Giant Swage....

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
I'd check your suspension is set up ok and unlikely but check the headset isn't ever so slightly loose.

I've had issues in the past with arm pump an use Revgrips as they help me a fair bit. They are very expensive comparatively and fiddly to setup but to me it's worth the cost for reduced arm pump. You can tune the grip size but even the spare replacement main grips are more expensive than other makes and due to dual clamp take up a bit more bar room than most. Ultimately I put Revgrips on my E-Sommet out of the box and have them on all my bikes now.

I had a day at Antur Stiniog and the next day was torture on the bike... a month later on the same non ebike rode Antur again with Revgrips and had no problems personally... could I have been more careful .. yeah that's possible but since then I fitted them to all my bikes I've never had arm pump anywhere near as bad on DH/Uplift days.

Overall I'd only recommend Revgrips if you really suffer and have the spare cash. Though you can probably get nearly as good damping from some cheap £10 foam grips that many people love I don't like them. I buy Revgrips in the UK from Cyclorise but I know some who don't like the feel even when set to the minimum "tune" (least rotational damping) so i'd look elsewhere first in your position unless price is irrelevant.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
I am running death grips on my esommet, wasn’t a fan of the grips that came on the bike

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
What tyre pressure are you using and on what tyres? And what is your riding weight?

My early years were plagued by numb hands, pins and needles etc. I know that there are many causes for this. Bar angles (sweep and rise), relative height of saddle and bars, the grips themselves, suspension set up. etc. All of these I adjusted, but it was reducing my tyre pressures that had the biggest impact.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles