What locks you using

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
I added my Levo comp to my home insurance but when im out with it its only covered if i have it locked up when left with a gold class lock (not that i will leave it)... What locks does everyone use when out and about? having quick release wheels makes me think its hard to choose....

thanks

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Any decent bike chain is too heavy to carry so the choices are with d locks. Apparently the best at reasonable cost is Abus Granite X or at unreasonable cost Granite Xtreme

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
Thanks, is it just me or are d locks useless. You lock a wheel to a post and you come out to find a wheel left....

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Thanks, is it just me or are d locks useless. You lock a wheel to a post and you come out to find a wheel left....
You lock it through the wheel and the frame, not just the wheel. Having said that in these days of expensive ebikes and pocket sized lithium battery powered angle grinders any lock is merely a deterrent to a delaying determined thief - the only solution is not to leave it out of sight.

RobbieBear

Apr 28, 2019
Northants
When I need to leave my bike (even only for a few minutes) I use the following:
Abus Granit XPlus 540 D-Lock securing the frame and the back wheel as well as the
Abus Granit 53 D-Lock Combo Pack securing the frame and the front wheel with the cable through the rear wheel, frame and seat to the bike rack etc.

Obviously, I only carry these locks when I know I am intending to leave my bike for any length of time at all. Mostly, I don't carry locks because I never let the bike out of my sight on a ride.

However, if I use the bike instead of the car for a trip to the shops or to meet for a coffee somewhere, then the locks come with me.

I know all these locks can be successfully attacked in a matter of minutes, but not without power tools in the case of the D locks. The cable came free and just adds a slight extra deterrent, stopping an opportunist nicking my bike seat which happened to me once - that was a bummer!

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
When I need to leave my bike (even only for a few minutes) I use the following:
Abus Granit XPlus 540 D-Lock securing the frame and the back wheel as well as the
Abus Granit 53 D-Lock Combo Pack securing the frame and the front wheel with the cable through the rear wheel, frame and seat to the bike rack etc.

Obviously, I only carry these locks when I know I am intending to leave my bike for any length of time at all. Mostly, I don't carry locks because I never let the bike out of my sight on a ride.

However, if I use the bike instead of the car for a trip to the shops or to meet for a coffee somewhere, then the locks come with me.

I know all these locks can be successfully attacked in a matter of minutes, but not without power tools in the case of the D locks. The cable came free and just adds a slight extra deterrent, stopping an opportunist nicking my bike seat which happened to me once - that was a bummer!

Thanks I will check them out, I don’t want to leave mine but in case and won’t hurt in the garage for extra safety

RobbieBear

Apr 28, 2019
Northants
Cost me about £118 for both locks in the sale at Halfords (still on offer) with extra 10% for BCC membership. Both SS Gold so satisfy my insurance. I think that is good value personally.
They review well (especially the 540 in terms of weight of lock vs attack success.
At the end of the day, who is going to carry a big bike chain around - that just takes all the fun out of riding!

If you are going to use the locks in the garage, don't just lock them to the bike. The bastards will just chuck the lot in a van to sort later. You would really need to lock the bike to a floor anchor for extra security.
Forget about anything connected to the wall if its a light block construction. Almost any fixings will be out in seconds.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Cost me about £118 for both locks in the sale at Halfords (still on offer) with extra 10% for BCC membership. Both SS Gold so satisfy my insurance. I think that is good value personally.
They review well (especially the 540 in terms of weight of lock vs attack success.
At the end of the day, who is going to carry a big bike chain around - that just takes all the fun out of riding!

If you are going to use the locks in the garage, don't just lock them to the bike. The bastards will just chuck the lot in a van to sort later. You would really need to lock the bike to a floor anchor for extra security.
Forget about anything connected to the wall if its a light block construction. Almost any fixings will be out in seconds.
Good advice. One addition... if you have to keep your bike in a shed or other outbuilding consider a Shed Shackle, which is the only gold rated product I found for that kind of structure.

5FAF3942-B93C-4DC2-AB7A-CB0E6843ECF4.jpeg

Shed Shackle Police-Approved and Sold Secure-Approved Shed Anchor from Pragmasis - the Manufacturer

DDUK

Jun 6, 2019
Hants
Anyone using a decent GOLD rated chain lock ? I have my Levo insured but and its covered in the Garage but for extra security I would like to lock it to a ground anchor in the garage with a Heavy Gold rated chain / lock combo. I don't need to take the lock anywhere, it will live in the garage so weight isn't an issue. Probably need something that's around 2m long to get it through the anchor and the frame.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Mine is an Onguard. Cant remember the anchor brand. I also have a tracker on the bike set with a small fence area...I get a txt alert if it leaves that area. My chain is fairly short but enough with the gront wheel removed. Wheel is stored separately.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Anyone using a decent GOLD rated chain lock ? I have my Levo insured but and its covered in the Garage but for extra security I would like to lock it to a ground anchor in the garage with a Heavy Gold rated chain / lock combo. I don't need to take the lock anywhere, it will live in the garage so weight isn't an issue. Probably need something that's around 2m long to get it through the anchor and the frame.
Lots of good options from Pragmasis who make the Shed Shackle I mentioned above....

Pragmasis package deals

ChrisB NZ

Aug 21, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
I use an Abus Bordo alarm. It's a decent quality heavy duty folding lock, without being outrageously heavy, and has the added deterrent of an alarm which goes off when anyone fiddles with the bike. Gives a warning beep when someone disturbs the bike even slightly. This is good when stopping at cafes etc. I strap it to the top tube with Velcro straps. Don't use it when riding hard out trails though.

MattyB

Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Just ordered the lite lock gold. Seems to be a great lock but time will tell. I may order a second lock for added protection once I know what this one is like. Anyone else use them?

LITELOK® Gold Wearable | Boa Green (Limited Edition)
I know there was a lot of buzz about that lock when it came out, but then it was defeated rather easily by a few guys on YouTube. No idea if they have addressed those weaknesses now though.

Litelok failure - BikeRadar Forum

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
No feasible for everyone I know but I think one thing that helps with security is not riding out from or back to where the bike stored. My bike goes in the van for a ride becajse my trails are a few miles away. So fewer leople know where the bike is and any tracking I use such as Komoot, starts and finishes in the forest.

JonnyLevo34

Jun 23, 2019
Kent
I know there was a lot of buzz about that lock when it came out, but then it was defeated rather easily by a few guys on YouTube. No idea if they have addressed those weaknesses now though.

Litelok failure - BikeRadar Forum

I shall bare this in mind. The lock itself is mainly to be used as a deterrent and I'll always be vigilant if I have to leave it unattended. Still, for a £100 I would expect something that at least is as secure as they claim.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have the Kryptonite New York Noose in the 1.2m length, with the Kryptonite padlock, both Gold rated. Also a Kryptonite ground anchor, also gold rated.

The feature of the Noose, is that it has a ring at one end, so that the other end of the chain can be threaded through it and then secured with the padlock to the ground anchor. Otherwise you would need a much longer chain than 1.2m. The ground anchor was a bitch to fit (three 5/8" steel rawlbolts), but I am very pleased with the overall result.

I also use a plastic sheathed wire cable with a combo lock to fasten the front wheel to the frame.

Kyrptonite in situ.jpg

I have since wrapped a small towel where the Kryptonite chain goes to prevent any scratches to the shock stanchion, and added some helicopter tape to the frame above the motor to protect the paint finish. The chain is covered with a thick fibre glass fabric, but over time I'm sure that it will scratch the bike, hence the old towel.

I tried threading the chain and its cover through a 2.4" inner tube, but a larger tube is needed, a 3" would do it.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Tractive.....supposed to be for a dog but is well suited to my needs as just one extra layer of security
just about to renew my subscription on Tractive but noticed they one called the Tractive XL in their range. A bit bigger than the classic Tractive so obviously a little more difficult to hide on the bike BUT rather than the 2 to 5 day battery life of the classic, the XL has a battery life of 6 weeks.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
I added my Levo comp to my home insurance but when im out with it its only covered if i have it locked up when left with a gold class lock (not that i will leave it)... What locks does everyone use when out and about? having quick release wheels makes me think its hard to choose....thanks

It might be cheaper to find a policy that covers you for theft without the use of locks rather than fork out a couple of hundred bucks in locks.

My home insurance policy covers my bike anywhere in Australia (it's a specified item) with no need to lock it up, I can leave it on the side of the highway overnight and I'm covered. The only thing I'm not covered for is crash damage whilst I'm riding it.

And I don't have the hassle of carting locks and chain around with me.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I very much doubt that! Insurance companies are expert at controlling risk of claim payment. I would bet there is some small print that allows them to avoid payment if you do not take reasonable steps to avoid theft. Leaving a bike unlocked and unattended would be deemed reckless. Suggest you check the small print!

Donnie797

Jul 2, 2018
Germany, southern Black Forest
It might be cheaper to find a policy that covers you for theft without the use of locks rather than fork out a couple of hundred bucks in locks.

My home insurance policy covers my bike anywhere in Australia (it's a specified item) with no need to lock it up, I can leave it on the side of the highway overnight and I'm covered. The only thing I'm not covered for is crash damage whilst I'm riding it.

And I don't have the hassle of carting locks and chain around with me.

Wow, so if you crash your bike pretty hard, you just make it vanish and voilá ;)

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
I very much doubt that! Insurance companies are expert at controlling risk of claim payment. I would bet there is some small print that allows them to avoid payment if you do not take reasonable steps to avoid theft. Leaving a bike unlocked and unattended would be deemed reckless. Suggest you check the small print!
Already have done buddy and made phone calls and read the PDS from back to front, no locks required. It’s a specified item, just like my wife’s 10k ring, she also doesn’t need to lock it up when anywhere in Oz, that’s why I pay the extra on my policy. My bike is also covered for up to 120 days anywhere else in the world.

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I windsurf and it is always an issue for us what to do with the car key....especially now that the keys contain electronic components. Over time we have found out some things about insurance policies that no one knew. One method was to leave the proper key in the car/van and use a stripped down key to take on the water. That key would unlock the vehicle but set the alarm off....the full key then used to stop the alarm. So....vehicle stolen..insurance would not pay out because the key was in the vehicle. Another method was to use a combination padlock safe attatched to the towing eye to keep the key in. Well even I can break into any combination lock in about 30 seconds so you can be sure every thief knows how to. Another failed insurance claim.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
I windsurf and it is always an issue for us what to do with the car key....especially now that the keys contain electronic components. Over time we have found out some things about insurance policies that no one knew. One method was to leave the proper key in the car/van and use a stripped down key to take on the water. That key would unlock the vehicle but set the alarm off....the full key then used to stop the alarm. So....vehicle stolen..insurance would not pay out because the key was in the vehicle. Another method was to use a combination padlock safe attatched to the towing eye to keep the key in. Well even I can break into any combination lock in about 30 seconds so you can be sure every thief knows how to. Another failed insurance claim.

Yeah even now days if you are selling your car and you give the keys to a prospective buyer to test drive and they flog the car the insurance company won’t pay even if you get their details.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles