What kind of range are you getting from your rides?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I’m averaging about 20 miles at the moment but have often maxed it out at 100% Turbo ?.

Last edited:

Al Boneta

Dark Rider
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
California
I’m averaging about 20 miles at the moment but have often maxed it out at 100% Turbo.
I average 25-35 miles with 3000 of climbing on eco at 20%.

Derestricting the bike is not an option for my area of the world since there are so few trails we are allowed to operate Ebikes. I also feel the bikes go fast enough for their intended use and if I feel like I need to go faster, I’ll just ride my dirt bike.

Regular mountain bikers already hate Ebikes and making them go faster is not going to help the situation where I live in California.

E

EddieJ

I’ll be honest I’m quite naive about the deristricting. Since my dealer actually recommended it and did it I thought it would be ok. I might need to reconsider!

I should, and could I ask who the supplying dealer is?

I'm very anti the tuning of any ebike, and refuse to ride with anyone that has a dongle or whatever fitted to their ebike. There are already signs in the UK, that eMTB's could be banned from bike parks, Forestry Commission land and from organised sportive events. All because a minority of ebike owners see their bikes as a replacement for a motorcycle, which they are not.

I'm afraid that this forum isn't perhaps for me, as this is a subject that I feel very strongly about, and take the riding and use of eMTB's quite seriously, and the use of tuning devices has the potential to ruin things before it has even taken off. Really, as forum admin, you should be doing the same.

For reference, this is the current UK pedelec law. UK Electric Bike Law

Last edited by a moderator:

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK

I'm very anti the tuning of any ebike, and refuse to ride with anyone that has a dongle or whatever fitted to their ebike. There are already signs in the UK, that eMTB's could be banned from bike parks, Forestry Commission land and from organised sportive events. All because a minority of ebike owners see their bikes as a replacement for a motorcycle, which they are not.

I'm afraid that this forum isn't perhaps for me, as this is a subject that I feel very strongly about, and take the riding and use of eMTB's quite seriously, and the use of tuning devices has the potential to ruin things before it has even taken off. Really, as forum admin, you should be doing the same.

Thanks @EddieJJ, you make a great point. I’m going to put mine back to standard first thing tomorrow via the app. Certainly not my intention to cause any issues or break any laws ?.

Edit: That link to the laws is really useful. I didn’t realise that there was an age requirement of 14+ either (have children who have all asked for a go!).

E

EddieJ

Thanks Rob. :)

I have had first hand experience of the threat of a blanket ban on ebikes at sportive events, and know that two organisations have been having meetings about the very subject. I also know from friends within the trade, that there is great concern over the issue.

Anyway, I don't want to derail an interesting thread any further. :)

sauravgartaula

Founding Member
Jan 15, 2018

Such a great point that you made!
I love how deep you're in ebikes. ebikes should be used as ebikes,not as a replacement for motorcycles!
This forum is certainly for people like you sir!
And yes, the link to the law is very very useful.
Thank you.

Japuserid

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall, UK

Hi Eddie

All sounds a bit worrying :eek:

I would be very interested to read more about the problems being caused by this minority of owners you mention and the very worrying consequences of their irresponsible attitude, that you say might lead to a ban of Ebikes in Bike Parks and on Forestry Commission land. :oops::oops: This would not be good!

I have searched online but can't seem find anything?

Very best regards

Jeff

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I’m with @EddieJJ on this.

I don’t like the Pedelecs forum for this very reason and personally I think the forum should take a stance on it.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hi all, not going to name and shame but I’m going to let them know the law on it so it doesn’t happen again.

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Thanks Rob, Fair enough to give them a chance to rectify this but.....
1. They shouldn’t have been doing it in the first place and
2. How many have they done already and will they contact them and reverse the process ( I think not) this is a bit of a nightmare really as how many other dealers are doing it ???

ccrdave

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
First my wife works for the forestry commission and as far as we know there is no noise about banning deristricted bikes, in fact most wouldnt know how to tel if the bike was tampered with or not and in the forest here they run enduros sponsered by Haibike, only the stages are timed not the transition so it doesnt matter how fast or slow you do the transition and the descents are "off power" anyway.
as for riding at 30mph have you ever clocked your speed on some fast descents? you can get well over 30mph with the motor switched off.
Now having said all of that I am also against deristricting the bikes because to me it defeats the object of the bike, I have tried it and didnt like it (I dont like to have any thing to say about something I have never tried)
My Levo has a very smooth transition from assist to no assist and its quite rewarding to feel the the high speed I can obtain is down to me and not the motor

Eckythump

Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
North Yorkshire
I appreciate Rob has to formulate an official line as far as the website is concerned, he will have to decide if the topic is a total no-no, or if openly directing people to where to get there bikes de-restricted is a taboo, etc.

Another hobby I have is radio control including drones. There are rules and regulations covering what can and cannot be done. These rule are however constantly evolving which includes consultation periods with interested parties to cover views & opinions. If there is no discussion on how to change things how can we hope to have improvements?

My understanding is the current regulations were last altered to cover the introduction of the Sinclair C5. They are surely due a review and the rapid increase in the use of e vehicles will probably bring this around sooner rather than later.

It is easy to slam sites such as Pedelecs etc, and the big wattage DIY bikes but let’s not forget the home brew guys are the pioneers of modern e bikes. We owe them a debt of gratitude for paving the way to our manufactured marvels.

My opinion is people should be able to have an opinion. This is a forum, the home of discussion which should take place within clearly laid out guidelines.

Rant over ?

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I appreciate Rob has to formulate an official line as far as the website is concerned, he will have to decide if the topic is a total no-no, or if openly directing people to where to get there bikes de-restricted is a taboo, etc.

Another hobby I have is radio control including drones. There are rules and regulations covering what can and cannot be done. These rule are however constantly evolving which includes consultation periods with interested parties to cover views & opinions. If there is no discussion on how to change things how can we hope to have improvements?

My understanding is the current regulations were last altered to cover the introduction of the Sinclair C5. They are surely due a review and the rapid increase in the use of e vehicles will probably bring this around sooner rather than later.

It is easy to slam sites such as Pedelecs etc, and the big wattage DIY bikes but let’s not forget the home brew guys are the pioneers of modern e bikes. We owe them a debt of gratitude for paving the way to our manufactured marvels.

My opinion is people should be able to have an opinion. This is a forum, the home of discussion which should take place within clearly laid out guidelines.

Rant over ?

Not taken as a rant at all Echythump, you have made some really valid points.

We all have our own views and perceptions of what is right and wrong, good and bad etc... If everyone can share their opinions and be open to listening to other people’s opinions without getting on high horses then we will all be able to absorb the information received and then make an informed decision on which way we ‘individually’ want to jump. If people do not like that decision then unfortunately there is not much they can do about but agree to disagree. Like the old saying goes, you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink.

kcarbon

Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
australia
I think the longest I have ridden on a full battery is 60km ( 40mile) the battery still had power (504 battery )
I ride with a group, we have three pace groups only about 6 e mountain bikes out of about 60 bikes. very hilly were I am. we travel to different locations each week . I like the turbo levo fsr ( second turbo levo I've owned )

Last edited:

kcarbon

Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
australia
if I use all eco and peddle hard myself can get 80km thats about 50mile but have to put a lot of effort myself . thats on hills.

Bimba

Founding Member
Jan 22, 2018
Birmingham
Went for road ride on Sunday for change! Did 15 miles in eco, then the same 15 miles route back using trail & turbo, used 75% battery, so not bad considering that I did few big climbs in both directions! It’s the 504 battery. Think I could get 50 miles at a push ??

kcarbon

Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
australia
good point !! I
here in Australia we have the euro limited 24kph. , we have strict bicycle helmet laws, if you get caught not wearing an helmet while riding any bicycle $375 on spot fine.
what about other country's?

Tetsugaku

Founding Member
Mar 4, 2018
Brighton uk
Very varied.

25k on the flat into a staggering headwind, 100% assist, riding at 27KPH, 91% battery to 1%. I weigh 115KG and it's an XL turbo levo. Also carrying a rucksack that weighs 10KG.

Same journey, no headwind, 35% remaining.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Just done 65km and 635m of climbing and had 26% left in the tank.
That’s with factory default 30,70,100 witch 100% acceleration and motor current. Used the power modes like a front 3 ring only going into trail and turbo for the hills. Biggest hill was 125m elevation with a 13% grade.
118kg rider with 20psi rear 15 front.

Top speed 89kmh yes 89kmh
So stable at speed, so so stable.

Kiwi in Wales

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
Just done 65km and 635m of climbing and had 26% left in the tank.
That’s with factory default 30,70,100 witch 100% acceleration and motor current. Used the power modes like a front 3 ring only going into trail and turbo for the hills. Biggest hill was 125m elevation with a 13% grade.
118kg rider with 20psi rear 15 front.

Top speed 89kmh yes 89kmh
So stable at speed, so so stable.

I presume you are running with a very high gearing set up, down a very steep hill and on a derestricted bike to do that speed or were you drafting a bus?
The only time I ever got close to that speed was in Morzine, France and I was running a 46 front ring drafting a bus down a moderately steep hill.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I presume you are running with a very high gearing set up, down a very steep hill and on a derestricted bike to do that speed or were you drafting a bus?
The only time I ever got close to that speed was in Morzine, France and I was running a 46 front ring drafting a bus down a moderately steep hill.
No just a heavy lad on a heavy standard alloy levo. Not even peddling and factory default assist which cut out at 25kmh, and no busses on this down hill.

PeteIOM

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2018
Isle of Man
I hit 85kmh on my way home, not pedalling, down hill... it's the only time my 125kg frame is an advantage! :) (totally standard bike, only had it 3 days)

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I hit 85kmh on my way home, not pedalling, down hill... it's the only time my 125kg frame is an advantage! :) (totally standard bike, only had it 3 days)
Yeah i’m about 118kg kitted up. It is so stable at speed compared to my standard enduro rig.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles