What is the Shimano Steps range predictor based on?

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I used to see 44 miles for range prediction in ECO mode. I don't know when it changed but I'm seeing only 40 miles now. I have all 3 modes set to medium and I'm seeing a prediction of 40/30/20 for all 3 modes and the bike is a 2018 jam2 C with about 3150 miles on it and bought about 15 months ago. I can't find information about it arrives at this number. Is it a setting (maybe it was changed when I set the 3 modes) or is it a calculation based on battery SOC and past riding performance? Does anyone know? I'm pretty sure I am see some reduction in range since the bike was new and would not be surprised at that. Thanks

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Yes, the only things I find useful on the display are distance, odometer and clock. I wish I could get rid of range - totally useless up there with walk mode :(

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Sorry I like walk mode .Especially useful when you realise it likes low gears and 2 presses of the lever.
Range prediction.....Chrystal balls.:oops:

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
It will be the charge in the battery, If you download Stunlocker App (it's free) and connect to bike via bluetooth it will show you the charge in the battery. My bike shows 5 bars on the display but the first bar was dropping quicker than normal. Once I got the app I could see that my battery was only charging to 89% where as my tech pack was showing 100%. I got intouch with Focus and they basically said after many a email that that was acceptable degradation of the battery.
You will also notice the health part of the app shows it at 100% with 0 cycles, this is because it can't fully read the battery because it's not made by Shimano.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Thats exactly how my batteries are behaving ..Mainframe batt drops 1 bar after 4-5 miles or even less but on the newish TEC battery it has not dropped after 14 miles.....
My bike is 2.5 years old and 2500 miles so guess there will be some degradation. How do other systems compare?

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Yes and it's much like an EV car. I had a leaf that had about 22,000 miles on it. It's state of charge would always be 12 bars when fully charged but the capacity bars it what would indicate the relative health or age of the battery and I think I lost one of those right around 24,000 miles.

I usually get about 6-7 miles out of the first bar. My 2018 Focus currently has abut 3,200 miles on it. While it might be the hotter months I do think I was able to get 10 miles out of that first bar. By the time I reach 2 bars I'm close to 20 miles and I use Eco and Trail mostly with brief use of boost. I'm sure after 1 1/2 years of maybe 3 partial charges per week it's down a bit. It used to predict 44 miles in ECO and now it's about 40. The range prediction really doesn't vary every ride and I only noticed that it recently went down to 40. I have all modes set to medium until the range goes down drastically I won't resort to the low modes. I tried ECO in low for a while and it was very minimal so much that I had to use trail more often. I'll have to give stunlocker a try. I had a similar app for the leaf.

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
My range has only ever been around the 5 mile mark per bar and thats with the eco set on medium/low, trail on just under medium and boost on high (which I hardly ever use) None of my rides are flat, all 1500ft and above per 15 to 20 miles. anything over 25miles and I will have to use the tech packas these rides mostly over 3000ft and I try and still do it all in eco. I rode the other day with just the internal battery fully charged (87%) and managed a 26mile ride with 1650ft climbing and was on red about a miles from home. I maybe did 2 miles on trail, 18 miles eco and 6 miles with it switched off. I've done some rides in the Peak district and only got 18 on one full battery where your doing some sections like 1000ft in a mile lol.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
This is my opinion, based upon observation.

It depends upon how hard you use the battery
The harder you ride it, the fewer miles you will get from the battery. I was down from 44m range in Eco when new, to 38m before lockdown (1238 miles travelled). During lockdown I was riding locally, which had lots of tarmac and free rolling tyres pumped high. Often I was riding above the cut off. I got the range prediction backup to 41m. I'm sure it would have gone higher, but the lockdown rules were relaxed further and I could get back to usual places to ride (1500 miles). I'm down to 39m now and it is sure to fall further (1786m).

Jollyjoiner

Oct 14, 2018
Chesterfield
This is my opinion, based upon observation.

It depends upon how hard you use the battery
The harder you ride it, the fewer miles you will get from the battery. I was down from 44m range in Eco when new, to 38m before lockdown (1238 miles travelled). During lockdown I was riding locally, which had lots of tarmac and free rolling tyres pumped high. Often I was riding above the cut off. I got the range prediction backup to 41m. I'm sure it would have gone higher, but the lockdown rules were relaxed further and I could get back to usual places to ride (1500 miles). I'm down to 39m now and it is sure to fall further (1786m).
Mines not doing bad then compared to yours, mines on nearly 3700miles lol

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I think my rides are a lot like yours, 1500 feet and above every ride and around 20 miles or so. Last one was a shorter 17 mi and 2700 feet and two bars left
When I was 52 years old, I was 12.5 stone and had the god-like body. :)
But 17 years and 14 pounds later, no longer god-like, just aching, like. :(

What I need is more beer! Off to get one NOW!
I was down to 138 lbs from 157 when I crashed almost 2 years ago. Now with the pandemic and an ebike and eating way too much, I vary from 148-151. Never god like, lol...just lean, now a skinny old 71 year old with a medium-small gut that just will not go away. I blame the pandemic for some of it....just eating all the time while I watch ever rising numbers here in the States.

Timochka69

Jan 31, 2018
Helsinki
I used to see 44 miles for range prediction in ECO mode. I don't know when it changed but I'm seeing only 40 miles now. I have all 3 modes set to medium and I'm seeing a prediction of 40/30/20 for all 3 modes and the bike is a 2018 jam2 C with about 3150 miles on it and bought about 15 months ago. I can't find information about it arrives at this number. Is it a setting (maybe it was changed when I set the 3 modes) or is it a calculation based on battery SOC and past riding performance? Does anyone know? I'm pretty sure I am see some reduction in range since the bike was new and would not be surprised at that. Thanks

My range estimate of fully charged battery in ECO setting dropped from 95 km to 94 km after the condition of my battery dropped from 100% to 99%. I have the 504Wh BT-E8010 Shimano battery.

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
I'm currently seeing 42/32/21 miles with a 97% charged battery (it does still get to 100%), this is with Medium/Medium/High settings.

These ranges are certainly achievable for me at least, although I do find the range prediction gets worse as the battery is used, it clearly is not a straight line (you would have though they could take this into account in the software). I'm not sure there is any logic to it, I will find out shortly as I have just changed to Stunlocker and upped the EMTB setting to 140%.

The bike hasn't been used much (250 miles) and I do leave it charged at 100%, but that never seems to bother the battery (yet). I have had the battery discharge fully three times, once a faulty drop after a wash, once out riding and once after leaving it plugged into the charger (but switched off), none of which seems to have affected the battery.

M

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I'm currently seeing 42/32/21 miles with a 97% charged battery (it does still get to 100%), this is with Medium/Medium/High settings.

These ranges are certainly achievable for me at least, although I do find the range prediction gets worse as the battery is used, it clearly is not a straight line (you would have though they could take this into account in the software). I'm not sure there is any logic to it, I will find out shortly as I have just changed to Stunlocker and upped the EMTB setting to 140%.

The bike hasn't been used much (250 miles) and I do leave it charged at 100%, but that never seems to bother the battery (yet). I have had the battery discharge fully three times, once a faulty drop after a wash, once out riding and once after leaving it plugged into the charger (but switched off), none of which seems to have affected the battery.

M
I'm at about 3300 miles now and those are the predictions I'm getting too. If I know the bike is going to sit for more than a couple of days, very rare, lol, I don't charge o 100% until the night before the ride. LI-Ion can degrade faster sitting a lot above 80%.

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
I'm at about 3300 miles now and those are the predictions I'm getting too. If I know the bike is going to sit for more than a couple of days, very rare, lol, I don't charge o 100% until the night before the ride. LI-Ion can degrade faster sitting a lot above 80%.
So I've just been for a ride (10 miles) and from starting with 42/32/21 I now have 23/18/11 so that's nearly 50% out (97% battery at start down to 57%)
This is my first ride with the STunlocker app (I have changed it to 140% trail and US setting so 20mph), curious to know if anyone else experienced this kind of loss. 140% was too much so I will probably knock that back, but as it was 20mph limit, on the motor a lot of the time.

M

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles