What GPS Cycle computer for MTB navigation?

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
What app or resource do you use for loading trails to Komoot?
I log into my Komoot account on my PC and simply upload a gpx file of the route I want to follow into my Planned Routes. When I then go into the app on my iPhone it is there and can be loaded and followed. You can have lots of Planned Routes available for selection.

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I used a Garmin Edge 810 for a couple of years, and upgraded to the 820. Now there’s the 530!

I often download trails from Trailforks or MTBtrails, and I post them onto my 520... especially for places I’ve never been before.

It tries to give you turn by turn navigation through the trails but often gets confused. It usually fails if you need to go over the same part of the trail again.
You can follow the ‘virtual partner’ (the person who originally recorded the trail), but I find they’re too quick for me. I haven’t bought an EMTB yet - so maybe I’ll be able to keep up when I’m on one!!
It’d be easier to follow if the trail had an arrow on it - as it’s tricky to figure out which direction the person went if there are cross overs.

Overall, I’m happy with it. I use the LiveTrack feature which sends my wife an email, and she can follow my location. Handy for lone riding so at least someone knows where I am!

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
What app or resource do you use for loading trails to Komoot?

I would like to know as well... I tried komoot and set it up for a point to point ride that I do regularly on well known off road trails and it would always plot the way using the roads - yes I had it on MTB etc.. so, didnt work for me

Master Link

Dec 7, 2018
Isle of Wight
I would like to know as well... I tried komoot and set it up for a point to point ride that I do regularly on well known off road trails and it would always plot the way using the roads - yes I had it on MTB etc.. so, didnt work for me
I get my gpx files from Strava. So if the route was off-road, then Komoot will follow that route. It can be a few metres out on the mapping but, generally, you can see the trail and follow it.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
I get my gpx files from Strava. So if the route was off-road, then Komoot will follow that route. It can be a few metres out on the mapping but, generally, you can see the trail and follow it.

yea no problem with that... my issue is with planning a route really.
whatever I do komoot just draws a dead straight line from one place to another and ignores all off road tracks and byways etc or uses all road..
does anyone else use it for plotting rides?

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Really important on Komoot is to turn off the option to re-calculate your route "Match Route to known ways". This has screwed me up a few times.
If I have the setting "Mountainbike" it tends to try to take me on all sorts of little steep paths rather than bike tracks or roads, which is often fun, but sometimes annoying when you are doing a long journey, and need to get from point A to B quickly.
However it is still the best MTB trail planning and navigation app I have found.
I learnt on my Transalp, that occasionally when I was on a road, or Bike path, if it said "Turn left onto single trail" to zoom out a bit and see if it was a legitimate trail direction change, or just a Komoot Mtb trail diversion loop.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I log into my Komoot account on my PC and simply upload a gpx file of the route I want to follow into my Planned Routes. When I then go into the app on my iPhone it is there and can be loaded and followed. You can have lots of Planned Routes available for selection.
And when you are browsing new trails on you computer, you can save those as planned.
When you open your mobile app, you can see those at the planned section. Just mark "make this available off-line".

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles