What emtb full sus under 3k would you buy

Gareth82

Feb 18, 2020
N. Ireland
Hi I am looking to purchase my first emtb, I am looking a full sus around the £3k mark. I borrowed the decathlon stilus last week for a 1.5hr cycle, unfortunately the battery wasn't fully charged and ran out at 13 miles leaving an 8 mile cycle back to the shop without battery which was an experience.

Loved everything about the bike though brakes could do with being upgraded, this was my first time on a electric bike so have nothing to compare with.

I have read reports that this motor can't be derestricted which puts me off slightly

I know 3k isn't much in the way of a full suspension electric mountain bike, but if it was you what would you buy and why?

The next obvious choice is the voodoo zobop with the steps motor (providing it can be derestricted for off road use only)

Any feedback is much appreciated

Stuart569

Jun 24, 2019
NE Scotland
If you can stretch to this... You will be hard pushed to find a better value ebike for that money

Screenshot_20200329_225343.jpg

billwarwick

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 1, 2018
warwick
Depends on your kind of riding. Take it you are looking for something brand new with full dealer backup. If you are, then have a look at Haibike sduro fullnine 3.0 , 2020 model. £2999 or less. Exterior battery and no Bluetooth but looks good for the money. I’ve had a Haibike hardtail for 3 years and its had a hard life. Swapped the fork but apart from that, the Yamaha motor and battery have been bombproof, no issues at all. Just depends how extreme your riding is. Stilus looks really good for the money, but I would worry about the backup if something went wrong.

Vas

Nov 23, 2019
Greece
I was in your position a few months ago, but we are all lucky that there are many great emtb's around and that there is a right bike for anyone.

As it was correctly mentioned above, it really depends on your kind of riding. I did a lot of research before pulling the trigger and I concluded that the THOK MIG-ST would be the bike for me as it ticked all the boxes (mainly, value for money for my kind of riding).
I've ridden about 700 km (most on mountain dirt roads), I haven't regretted it at all, and I'm really impressed with the bike. I don't think that I needed anything else. Even if something goes wrong I can rely on Shimano's local tech support. Last, but not least, the support and communication from the manufacturer has been top-notch (BTW they also manufacture the ebikes for Ducati).

Last edited:

Gareth82

Feb 18, 2020
N. Ireland
Vitus e sommet vrs top of my list, wiggle is not processing orders at the minute or I would have ordered already

Screenshot_20200415_213332_uk.co.wiggle.hybrid.jpg

Stevie p

Apr 15, 2020
West lothian
Hi I am looking to purchase my first emtb, I am looking a full sus around the £3k mark. I borrowed the decathlon stilus last week for a 1.5hr cycle, unfortunately the battery wasn't fully charged and ran out at 13 miles leaving an 8 mile cycle back to the shop without battery which was an experience.

Loved everything about the bike though brakes could do with being upgraded, this was my first time on a electric bike so have nothing to compare with.

I have read reports that this motor can't be derestricted which puts me off slightly

I know 3k isn't much in the way of a full suspension electric mountain bike, but if it was you what would you buy and why?

The next obvious choice is the voodoo zobop with the steps motor (providing it can be derestricted for off road use only)

Any feedback is much appreciated
Just got a whisper wildcat carbon new for 3190 so far so good love it.

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
If it were me and it will be soon, I'd be getting an enteral battery, those external ones look horrible and will look even more dated soon enough.
People on a strict budget that's on the lower end of Emtb pricing shouldn't care too much about aesthetics... just about getting the best spec for the money.

Last edited:

Jul 19, 2019
West Lancs
If it were me and it will be soon, I'd be getting an enteral battery, those external ones look horrible and will look even more dated soon enough.
If it were me, and it was last year, I'd get an external battery bike. Being able to lock the bike up, whip the battery off in 2s and take it inside somewhere to charge up is massively useful. Also able to charge the battery in the house easily and much easier to stick in on a shelf inside over winter months rather than the whole bike.

Some internal batteries are difficult to get out so make sure you know whats involved for your desired bike, and if that will matter to what you want.

As for looks, its a mtb, so itll be covered in mud after a few miles. ;)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
2.5k ish - I haven't actually bought a full MTB for years, I usually buy a new frame and build up with existing parts, the last MTB I bought was a BMC Speedfox Trail crew that I got in an Evans clearance sale knocked down from 3k to 1.5k

Last edited:

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
People spending 3 grand aren't on a strict budget.
It appears you don't know what the term "strict budget" actually means. In a financial context it means you set yourself a spending limit and stick to it. It doesn't mean you spend a low amount of money. You can have a strict budget when buying a Ferrari. There, hope it's clearer for you now. :)

Now, as for pricing itself... 3000GBP is, objectively speaking, at the low-end of the price bracket for a full suspension. It's not an insignificant amount of money of course, but that's a sign of how much EMTB's cost. They certainly aren't cheap if you want something of any reasonable quality.

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
It appears you don't know what the term "strict budget" actually means. In a financial context it means you set yourself a spending limit and stick to it. It doesn't mean you spend a low amount of money. You can have a strict budget when buying a Ferrari. There, hope it's clearer for you now. :)

Don't sit there and and tell me I don't know what a strict budget is you condescending prick.

If you are spending 3 grand on a toy you can't possibly be on a "strict budget" in my opinion and if 3 grand is your budget then best to look for a good second hand cause as you say, you aren't going to get an overly well specced new one.

EMTBehave

Apr 7, 2019
CH
Don't sit there and and tell me I don't know what a strict budget is you condescending prick.

If you are spending 3 grand on a toy you can't possibly be on a "strict budget" in my opinion and if 3 grand is your budget then best to look for a good second hand cause as you say, you aren't going to get an overly well specced new one.
Ok, you clearly still have absolutely no idea what it means and your insecurity has now made you get abusive. Lets move on then and simply agree to disagree like gentlemen and I'll do us both a favour and put you directly on my ignore list, never to be seen or responded to again. :)

Cabby.

Apr 17, 2020
Scotland
He is correct that you don’t know what strict budget means thought. As this gentleman is on a strict budget.

I absolutely understand we all have our limits on what we are prepared to spend, for some that may be 10 grand others possibly 5 for the individual it's 3. It's my opinion that spending 3 grand on a toy isn't exactly a small amount of money, though understand that in the emtb world that kind of money doesn't get a lot.

Benbenben

Apr 7, 2020
Isle of Wight
Totally understand where your coming from but I would consider what you are describing a tight budget. And a strict budget just sticking to a certain amount of money (no matter how much it is).
Def agree that 3k is a significant sum of money and would be super careful spending that much.
I went for a Vitus e sommet for that budget- haven’t received it yet after two weeks.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Just a heads up on this forum we dont really accelerate into calling people condescending pricks, so keep it civil. We tend to agree to disagree, and leave it at that :cool:

In the world of EMTB, spending a lot of money doesn't get you the best bike. Some of the best bikes out there are between 4-5k, and you can actually get a very good bike for 3k, either from the likes of decathlon, or from the sales with many of the direct sales brands. e.g some of last years Commencal can be had for a steal right now.

As with any kind of bike, buying the right one for your sizing, and the right one for your riding, is the most important thing, here in the Surrey Alps you cant move for seeing S-Works and CC Santacruz's ambling along, but then that's peoples choice, even if they don't need it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles