What elbow pads?

jamied

Mar 14, 2018
UK
I'm looking for some advice. So I have the POC vid air knee pads and they are brilliant, fit well and I can't even notice I'm wearing them. I thought I's get some of the elbow pads too. Unfortunately I think I'm in-between the medium and the large size, I got the large size and they just slip down when riding. So I then got the medium size of the VPD 2.0 larger pad as it has a strap top and bottom but they don't feel very comfortable and don't fit well under my long sleeve jersey. I've not been out on a ride with them yet but I'm wondering if I should send them back and go for a different brand, or maybe I would be better off with the sleeve option?

What elbow pads have you had a good experience with? I'm looking for something on the lighter to medium weight end of the spectrum.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I only use elbow pads at the bike park, so they need to be there more protective and stronger.

But with this manufacturer’s knee pads I’ve used in normal trail riding this summer, old POCs have stayed home. Leatts Airflex elbow pads.
But it depends so much on what purpose you are looking for.
1635324075624.png

DJ57UMP

Mar 13, 2021
England
I don't normally wear pads but had a trip up to Fort William last month so got some... I went with Troy Lee Designs Speed Elbow Sleeves.

I found them incredibly comfortable, didn't really make me overheat and give a decent level of protection.

Troy-Lee-Designs-Speed-Elbow-Sleeves-Elbow-Pads-Black-2017-TLD569003201.jpg

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I don't normally wear pads but had a trip up to Fort William last month so got some... I went with Troy Lee Designs Speed Elbow Sleeves.

I found them incredibly comfortable, didn't really make me overheat and give a decent level of protection.

View attachment 74645
Really ?
Can't fault them for comfort but more often than not they slip down my arm and I end up wearing them as forearm warmers ..the grippers at the top are incredibly thin and next to useless..

apac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales

I've just bought the IXS carve 'race' elbow and knee pads along with the IXS trigger padded shorts. Elbow pads arrived this morning. Surprisingly Sleek in size and shape, I was expecting them to be more bulky and heavier. They have two levels of protection, their Xmatter mouldable layer that stiffens on impact and a flexible rubber outer shell skid cap. The are very light in weight. if you go with IXS go a size up to what you normally get as their sizes tend to run small. If I could now learn how to crash onto my elbows knees and hips I'll be alright👍

elbow....

8BE866C4-D832-49D3-BCA9-CD49A8B3CE21.png

Last edited:

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
some may be lucky but I reckon the elbow joint goes through so much flex when riding that most independant elbow guards slip or if tight enough not to slip, restrict movement. Elbow pads as part of a sleeve on a soft armour jacket resolve those issues........and lets face it, if you feel the need to wear elbow pads you also need shoulder pads.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
some may be lucky but I reckon the elbow joint goes through so much flex when riding that most independant elbow guards slip or if tight enough not to slip, restrict movement. Elbow pads as part of a sleeve on a soft armour jacket resolve those issues........and lets face it, if you feel the need to wear elbow pads you also need shoulder pads.
I cannot comment on the effectiveness of my new elbow protection yet, apart from they are designed by a Moto equipment manufacturer that offers the basic EN 1621 certificate on impact absorption which is something that all should be looking for when choosing new padding. I cannot see the IXS elbow pads slipping, but I do have concerns about movement restriction. Btw, I also own a POC vpd 2.0 jacket that has back, chest, shoulder and elbow protection, and I've only needed to wear it a handful of times. I think I may spend this winter swapping between my new IXS elbow, knee and thigh gear and the POC gear. Watch this space for further thoughts.

DJ57UMP

Mar 13, 2021
England
Really ?
Can't fault them for comfort but more often than not they slip down my arm and I end up wearing them as forearm warmers ..the grippers at the top are incredibly thin and next to useless..

Maybe you washed them too hot? Mine are fine - I used to have others that did that though so I know what you mean.

jamied

Mar 14, 2018
UK
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think the take away from this thread is that what works for one person may not work for someone else, the only way to tell if a pad will work for you is to try it on.

In light of this I've got with the strategy of order 3 different pads from Sigma sports as they have free returns. I'll try them all on and see which work best and return the others.

What I've tried so far are:

POC VPD air size L - too loose, slipped down while riding
POC VPD 2.0 size M - too tight and too bulky for my liking

Giving up on POC elbow pads as I appear to be in-between the M and L size.

What I've ordered:

TLD stage
100% teratec
Fox launch D30

Hopefully one of these options will fit well. I would have liked to try the Leatt airflex as well but couldn't find it sold anywhere that offers free returns.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Thanks for all the suggestions. I think the take away from this thread is that what works for one person may not work for someone else, the only way to tell if a pad will work for you is to try it on.

In light of this I've got with the strategy of order 3 different pads from Sigma sports as they have free returns. I'll try them all on and see which work best and return the others.

What I've tried so far are:

POC VPD air size L - too loose, slipped down while riding
POC VPD 2.0 size M - too tight and too bulky for my liking

Giving up on POC elbow pads as I appear to be in-between the M and L size.

What I've ordered:

TLD stage
100% teratec
Fox launch D30

Hopefully one of these options will fit well. I would have liked to try the Leatt airflex as well but couldn't find it sold anywhere that offers free returns.
I recommend the fox enduro D30they are light weight but these are first elbow pads ive ever owned that dont give my arm pump. Ive tried a lot over the years.

i probably should be a medium based on sizing but went large to avoid arm pump.

i mostly wear them on the moto but will wear them in ebike for more hard core rides.

the launch pads are good too, but a little beefy for normal trail rides.

i wear launch knee pads though i like them, fox seems to fit me best so i stick with them.

have heard good things about leatt airflex as well

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Totally unscientific data

2 kids and myself wearing variations on g form for 3 years - whatever was discounted on their website at the time. zero damage to elbows from zero crashes - I swear these things have some mystical anti crash properties ( NEVER leave them at home....)

The youngest kid has been wearing sendy pads because they're the only ones designed to fit a 6 foot scrawny scarecrow - 2 rides, 2 crashes, no skin lost - bargain Sendy Saver Adults MTB Elbow Pad

jamied

Mar 14, 2018
UK
So the pads arrived today.

TLD stage - very tight to get on, can feel the circulation being restricted after wearing them for a while, inside of elbow feels uncomfortable when bent. Nice pad other than the fit and the material feeling slightly uncomfortable.
100% teratec - nicest feeling when on, thinest padding of the 3, but circulation is being cut off slightly more so than the TLDs
Fox launch D30 - couldn't even get em on! Way too small

I'm sending them all back and have now ordered

TLD Speed in next size up, they didn't have the stage in the larger size
100% Teratec in next size up
Fox enduro D30 in next size up, I still think these may be too small though
POC vpd air sleeves, might as well try and see if the sleeves fit better than the smaller pads

What I don't understand is why I'm having to order the largest sizes when my arms really aren't very big. Would someone who goes to the gym simply be unable to wear elbow guards as their arms simply wouldn't fit into them?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
dont think you need to wear elbow pads to go to the gym;).

I repeat what I said above if you cannot find something that suits. Go for a jacket that includes shoulder and elbow pads. The sleeve keeps the elbow pad in place without it having to be a compression fit........and there is little point wearing elbow pads without shoulder pads.
I also think elbow pads are something of a misnomer. The areas on your arm you are most likely to hit in a fall are above and below the elbow rather than the point of the elbow.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
So the pads arrived today.

TLD stage - very tight to get on, can feel the circulation being restricted after wearing them for a while, inside of elbow feels uncomfortable when bent. Nice pad other than the fit and the material feeling slightly uncomfortable.
100% teratec - nicest feeling when on, thinest padding of the 3, but circulation is being cut off slightly more so than the TLDs
Fox launch D30 - couldn't even get em on! Way too small

I'm sending them all back and have now ordered

TLD Speed in next size up, they didn't have the stage in the larger size
100% Teratec in next size up
Fox enduro D30 in next size up, I still think these may be too small though
POC vpd air sleeves, might as well try and see if the sleeves fit better than the smaller pads

What I don't understand is why I'm having to order the largest sizes when my arms really aren't very big. Would someone who goes to the gym simply be unable to wear elbow guards as their arms simply wouldn't fit into them?

they are all sized small that why I sized up, otherwise it's arm pump central.

To get around slippage I wear a snug fitting jersey over elbow pads.. keeps them in place good.

IMO the armor jacket are all to hot to wear even riding dirt bikes and I find them totally useless.

the reason to protect elbow is its a really nasty place to get injured that can take you out for a long time.

I rarely wear them on trail rides though and I always wear kneepads

jamied

Mar 14, 2018
UK
dont think you need to wear elbow pads to go to the gym;).

But what if you slip over on the stairs?

I repeat what I said above if you cannot find something that suits. Go for a jacket that includes shoulder and elbow pads. The sleeve keeps the elbow pad in place without it having to be a compression fit........and there is little point wearing elbow pads without shoulder pads.
I also think elbow pads are something of a misnomer. The areas on your arm you are most likely to hit in a fall are above and below the elbow rather than the point of the elbow.

I already have a back/check protector, my thinking was that I can mix and match, e.g. knee pads only on an easy ride, knee and elbow and a more aggressive trail ride, then knee, elbow and back at a bike park.

I'm thinking that if you're landing on your shoulder you will break something and a pads not going to do much against that, where as elbows get a lot more cuts and scraps.

The POC elbow sleeves arrived today, size L feels just right, no blood flow restriction and don't slip down when moving my arms around. They could be the ones! I have another 3 arriving tomorrow so I'll see if any of those are better than the POC's

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
But what if you slip over on the stairs?

I already have a back/check protector, my thinking was that I can mix and match, e.g. knee pads only on an easy ride, knee and elbow and a more aggressive trail ride, then knee, elbow and back at a bike park.

I'm thinking that if you're landing on your shoulder you will break something and a pads not going to do much against that, where as elbows get a lot more cuts and scraps.

The POC elbow sleeves arrived today, size L feels just right, no blood flow restriction and don't slip down when moving my arms around. They could be the ones! I have another 3 arriving tomorrow so I'll see if any of those are better than the POC's
Ive heard the poc are great!

kinda a funny acronym to have in today's political climate! At least in US! Haha

jamied

Mar 14, 2018
UK
Ive heard the poc are great!

kinda a funny acronym to have in today's political climate! At least in US! Haha

What does POC mean in the US? I'm not aware of it meaning anything in particular in the UK

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
What does POC mean in the US? I'm not aware of it meaning anything in particular in the UK
people of color, ie non white.. then there's bipoc black and indigenous people of color.

just newish PC language updates.. not many use it in real life.

jamied

Mar 14, 2018
UK
Depends whether you are Dianne Abbot

people of color, ie non white.. then there's bipoc black and indigenous people of color.

just newish PC language updates.. not many use it in real life.

I was not aware it had been abbreviated to POC. Although it's not surprising, I didn't know what most acronyms mean and have to ask

jamied

Mar 14, 2018
UK
So after try a bunch of badly fitting pads I now have 3 that fit well so it's now down to comfort, features, price. The contenders are:

Fox enduro D30 size L (£70) - these are the most expensive, although I have found them for £60 from another store. The padding on these feels like it offers the best protection of the 3. I used an un-scientific test method of hitting my elbow against a wooden door frame harder and harder until I felt the impact hurt. I had to hit my elbow the hardest in the fox but only very slightly more than the rest. Fit wise they are the biggest of the 3, I'm not sure if they would twist slightly during a fall or not. They don't have pre shaped pads but the pad is the most flexible, they also have removable pads. Comfort wise they are the least comfortable, not uncomfortable, but I can feel them on the inside of my elbow.

100% Teratec size L (£37) - the cheapest by quite a way, they feel very similar to the POC pads, it feels like these are the thinnest pads by a hair, but interestingly they faired ever so slightly better than the POC's in my elbow bashing test. These are probably the smallest of the 3 for fit. As I sit here typing this with the 100% on one are and the POC on the other I not sure if I can feel a very slight amount of blood flow restriction. These ones have removable pads too and are pre-shaped to fit the elbow. They feel very comfortable to wear.

POC vpd air sleeves size L (£60) - these are easily the most comfortable to wear, nice and snug and no signs of blood flow restriction. However they faired the worst in my elbow bash test, but to be honest there was very little difference between any of them. The have pre shaped elbow pads, but they are not removable like the other 2 which means they can't be put in the washing machine.

TLD Speed elbow sleeve size XL (£47) - for the sake of completeness I also tried these, however I immediately discounted them as the pad is so thin you might as well just wear a thick hoodie, also the fit for me it too big.

So now to decide which ones to keep. I think I'm ruling out the 100% due to them being a fraction too small, had they have been a slight bit larger I think they would have been the clear winner due to the price, they came out in the middle for every metric but there isn't really a lot in it for any of them. Out of the POC and Fox I think the POC edges out due to comfort, and that I I'm not 100% sure the Fox pads won't slip on impact due to them being marginally bigger.

To be honest I think I'd be happy with any of them had they of been the first set I ordered. Fit feels like it's the most important factor as I won't be wearing them if they are uncomfortable.

Hopefully someone else might find my elbow pad journey useful!

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
So after try a bunch of badly fitting pads I now have 3 that fit well so it's now down to comfort, features, price. The contenders are:

Fox enduro D30 size L (£70) - these are the most expensive, although I have found them for £60 from another store. The padding on these feels like it offers the best protection of the 3. I used an un-scientific test method of hitting my elbow against a wooden door frame harder and harder until I felt the impact hurt. I had to hit my elbow the hardest in the fox but only very slightly more than the rest. Fit wise they are the biggest of the 3, I'm not sure if they would twist slightly during a fall or not. They don't have pre shaped pads but the pad is the most flexible, they also have removable pads. Comfort wise they are the least comfortable, not uncomfortable, but I can feel them on the inside of my elbow.

100% Teratec size L (£37) - the cheapest by quite a way, they feel very similar to the POC pads, it feels like these are the thinnest pads by a hair, but interestingly they faired ever so slightly better than the POC's in my elbow bashing test. These are probably the smallest of the 3 for fit. As I sit here typing this with the 100% on one are and the POC on the other I not sure if I can feel a very slight amount of blood flow restriction. These ones have removable pads too and are pre-shaped to fit the elbow. They feel very comfortable to wear.

POC vpd air sleeves size L (£60) - these are easily the most comfortable to wear, nice and snug and no signs of blood flow restriction. However they faired the worst in my elbow bash test, but to be honest there was very little difference between any of them. The have pre shaped elbow pads, but they are not removable like the other 2 which means they can't be put in the washing machine.

TLD Speed elbow sleeve size XL (£47) - for the sake of completeness I also tried these, however I immediately discounted them as the pad is so thin you might as well just wear a thick hoodie, also the fit for me it too big.

So now to decide which ones to keep. I think I'm ruling out the 100% due to them being a fraction too small, had they have been a slight bit larger I think they would have been the clear winner due to the price, they came out in the middle for every metric but there isn't really a lot in it for any of them. Out of the POC and Fox I think the POC edges out due to comfort, and that I I'm not 100% sure the Fox pads won't slip on impact due to them being marginally bigger.

To be honest I think I'd be happy with any of them had they of been the first set I ordered. Fit feels like it's the most important factor as I won't be wearing them if they are uncomfortable.

Hopefully someone else might find my elbow pad journey useful!
One thing to know about fox pads and D30 is the they become soft and pliable when they heat up, so as you ride they conform and get more comfortable. When cold they are bulky and weird, once warm they disappear.

jamied

Mar 14, 2018
UK
One thing to know about fox pads and D30 is the they become soft and pliable when they heat up, so as you ride they conform and get more comfortable. When cold they are bulky and weird, once warm they disappear.

All of the pads I tried have D30 or their own version of the same stuff. The D30 feels the softest out of all of them with POCs VPD material pretty close behind. With the Fox pad it was the material on the inside of the elbow that was slightly uncomfortable, the pad side was fine. I think it had more to do with the type of material used.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles