What do I do? Whyte E150RS to Levo SL...??

PorkPieRider

Apr 28, 2022
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I actually managed to go and see a Levo SL yesterday (Comp, in the red I like) and in my size (L). Had a bit of time on it and loved it.

So much so they did me a cracking deal and I get it next Saturday!

Luckily they did also have a Orbea Rise H30 in XL that I had a good look at but just didn’t gel with it the same as the SL. Felt longer reach and much slacker. I’ve not compared the geo to know if that’s real or not.

Although I have put the Whyte up for sale I am not averse to potentially being in the two bike camp. I just knew that the SL felt great when I tried it and I loved how much lighter it felt.

I am sure I’ll now enter upgraditis with it but just really want to get out there with a massive smile on my face again. Thanks for all the advice.

moseven

Aug 13, 2020
manchester
great thread and some advice if possible please - I've got a whyte e160 and it's a great bike - I'm thinking of a spec keveno sl - I like really techy climbs, and downs - normally ride everywhre on the whyte in trail mode - Would a kenevo SL be OK for the type of riding I like? I had a very short try on one yesterday and really liked how light it was - I'm 11 stone and fairly fit and not too bothered about how fast I get up, just more laps and more fun going down is what I'm after. cheers. Mo

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I'm 11 stone and fairly fit and not too bothered about how fast I get up, just more laps and more fun going down is what I'm after.
You sound like the perfect candidate for a KSL. Of course I miss the FF on big climbs, especially at the end of the day, but the KSL is so much nicer to ride downhill it's worth the extra effort.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
great thread and some advice if possible please - I've got a whyte e160 and it's a great bike - I'm thinking of a spec keveno sl - I like really techy climbs, and downs - normally ride everywhre on the whyte in trail mode - Would a kenevo SL be OK for the type of riding I like? I had a very short try on one yesterday and really liked how light it was - I'm 11 stone and fairly fit and not too bothered about how fast I get up, just more laps and more fun going down is what I'm after. cheers. Mo
If you climb faster you get more gravity so it is more battery = more fun/more gravity
going for a smaller battery cannot mean more fun it means less gravity.
You can buy one so you will have 2 batteries = twice the fun.
If you decide to sell one in 3 months let us know wich one you keep.

F4Flyer

Sep 30, 2020
Denver
Now that I have a couple of rides on the Levo SL, I can provide some impressions. My Pivot Shuttle is more nimble and easy to take around tight trails than the full-power Levo and also 46 lbs so I am comparing to that. The Levo SL feels lighter than my Pivot and much lighter than the Levo. It is easier to launch off bumps and bars and also quicker to change direction, especially at speed downhill. It feels like a normal mountain bike so I'm very comfy on it and it is more fun. There is none of that tractor-like feel. Power is down but I only ride on Eco or Trail so even on Eco, it is sort of like riding a 22-23 lb FS bike instead of a 28-30 lb bike.

The handling is excellent and that heavy feel (due to the heavy motor and battery...especially the motor) has vanished. It feels balanced and normal but I feel like I always have much stronger legs but with a human bias and not a motor bias if in Eco and even Trail. For me, this is perfect. I do not enjoy the full-power bikes as much mainly due to the weight and degraded handling. Some may like to go all out on Turbo/Boost with buddies but I am not that rider. I enjoy twisty trails, technical climbs, fast descents, and chunky slower stuff too, so handling is always my thing.

With a full-power bike, I could never shake that heavy feel down low. It was still fun but it never felt like a real mountain bike that I like, with nimble handling at slow speed and high speed. So there is my impression. I will be building new wheels soon-ish. Maybe Kings or Hydras or Onyx with some carbon 28mm-30mm rims. That will liven it up even more since these stock alloy wheels are pretty heavy.

PorkPieRider

Apr 28, 2022
There is none of that tractor-like feel.

Excellent stuff, as that is exactly the word (tractor) that I used with my wife when I first got the Whyte E150 - it feels like it will plough through or over anything but lacked the MTB pop/flick/fun that i’d been used to.

Less than a week to go now until I pick up my SL.. have even ordered some new shoes too LOL

F4Flyer

Sep 30, 2020
Denver
I think you will really like it since you sound like me when it comes to bikes. My friend just bought one and his father has a Levo. He does not like the Levo at all but says this bike (Levo SL) is a game-changer for him and feels like a regular MTB when riding....just not when putting it on the rack. I convinced him to get it and fortunately he did. I will also be changing the handlebar to something carbon with a bit more rise and changing the stock grips which are too thin for me and it all puts too much pressure on the outer edge of my palm. Also, I will check and torque the bolts often. I'm super excited about changing the wheels but need to sell my Pivot and a fatbike first.

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I actually managed to go and see a Levo SL yesterday (Comp, in the red I like) and in my size (L). Had a bit of time on it and loved it.

So much so they did me a cracking deal and I get it next Saturday!

Luckily they did also have a Orbea Rise H30 in XL that I had a good look at but just didn’t gel with it the same as the SL. Felt longer reach and much slacker. I’ve not compared the geo to know if that’s real or not.

Although I have put the Whyte up for sale I am not averse to potentially being in the two bike camp. I just knew that the SL felt great when I tried it and I loved how much lighter it felt.

I am sure I’ll now enter upgraditis with it but just really want to get out there with a massive smile on my face again. Thanks for all the advice.
[/QUOTE

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
When I want to ride a mountain bike I ride my mountain bike, mainly with my mates non of whom have a battery and motor.

when I want to do steep, technical climbs I use my full fat mullett Kenevo turbo which needs full power to get up the fun stuff I like to climb….then beat my times back down vs my non Ebike with almost identical geo but no motor. One of the best bikes, motor or no motor I’ve ever had. You just dial into how best to ride a bike over time not one run. I pop jumps better than my non Ebike on 23 kg vs 16kg. Momentum…which can also require harder more precise braking too.

Horses for courses but I’m now just used to riding with lower down weight. Maybe why DH riders are packing their hollow cranks with lead and using ebikes to practise on in the off season…

Glad you’re all sorted out on it.

F4Flyer

Sep 30, 2020
Denver
Well, my Pivot sold in a day. Now I have some cash to play with. That wheelset is looking like more of a reality though finding hubs is not easy. So the restriction here in the Us in 20 MPH for class 1 eMTBs. I find that to be absolutely fine since it is hard to hit that on most trails going up or flats or rollers. Only on some downhills do I pass that at times but then I do not really need the motor either.

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
This thread shows just how much buying any bike is a very individual decision. Based on your nature of riding, experience, fitness, body shape, age and objectives.

As above, many like the cross over feel of a light weight eMtb and I know some that wouldn’t have anything but a bike that feels 98% like their non Ebike or what they are used to. I know some who don’t want to “give in” and get an Ebike; try one and you’ll change your mind !

There are those who want to use the motor as literally a bit of an additional assist on those XC rides so a SL style would suit best especially with range extenders in backpack. And have the lighter feel and ride that so many enjoy.

There are those, like myself who have found a new discipline in technical climbing that need a full range of power to help. And those who simply don’t want to use the uplift, just self shuttle to the top fast and blast down.

Its simply amazed me how far in such short time ebikes have developed. Remember how long 29ers took to be accepted from Keith Bontrager starting to introduce them. How many years it’s taken for mtb geo to reflect more MX rather than road cycle.

Apart from rather high prices and motors that are far from generically reliable I think ebikes are one of the best innovation in off road biking in recent times.

If manufacturers are breezing these forums one hopes it’s a great insight into the psyche of differing needs which in turn helps then develop product that helps meet those needs.

Enjoy.

F4Flyer

Sep 30, 2020
Denver
Just another word on the range of the Levo SL. I'm 175-180 lbs and used 90% Eco/10% Trail...41 miles and 4,100 ft of elevation gain. I still have 30% of battery remaining. That was the main battery and I did not take an extender. So for me and in Eco mostly, I'm guessing that the range is around 55 miles and 5,500 ft. That will go down if I use the Trail/Sport setting, of course. I have two extenders now so if I have enough food and water, I can pretty much do any ride I want.

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
Battery consumption depends hugely not just on elevation gain but how much involvement the motor has had in said gain. This depends on fitness, terrain and as you say settings.

Example: You use gently sloping fire roads to gain height where you can input most of the power and the motor tops up. Range extended. Or go on more a trail/XC ride.

Example: You use the bike for steep, rocky, gnarly technical climbs which requires boosts in power, the motor providing a bigger percentage of the drive. Range much lower. Some of these climbs an SL may not actually get up unless the rider has very high levels of cycling fitness, using more than the 35nm more like the 80-90nm.

Ive done both and the range changes substantially.

Hence you need to assess the kind of riding and fitness you have based on such scenarios.

I have a 700wh battery so don’t need any range extenders in my pack ;-)

F4Flyer

Sep 30, 2020
Denver
Yes, agreed that battery drain can vary though in a setting with a max, it will not vary significantly unless lots of milder fire roads are used versus another ride that is consistently uphill where you are hitting that setting max. I do not know where you ride. I'm in Colorado. There are very few sections I have had to walk in my 15-20 years of riding here. If a section is too steep it is also probably too loose. I have ridden my regular MTB here for all these years. By Colorado standards, I am not a strong rider. Riders here seem to be exceptionally strong compared to other places I have been. However, I can produce bursts of power to get over steep rocky stuff over and over. I do not need the Turbo/Boost setting, for example. On the road bike I can produce 500-700 watts over and over with 800-1000 watts in short bursts but in general riding, my power is much lower. I think a lot depends on fitness, but I have noticed that I can pedal and even climb on the Levo SL without the motor whereas the full-power bikes are really impossible for me to pedal uphill. They seem so boggy and heavy and sink into their travel. I can actually pedal my Levo SL for miles if needed. On some steep sections, even my 46 lb Shuttle was almost impossible to get over. The full-power Levo was even more of an anchor. I can do that on the Levo SL with Eco or even no power. These are just my initial observations but I am a regular cyclist too. It isn't like I just jumped on the e-bike after years of eating pizza, drinking beer, and going to the gym once a month. I have paid my climb-suffering dues for years and years. :)

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
Yes, agreed that battery drain can vary though in a setting with a max, it will not vary significantly unless lots of milder fire roads are used versus another ride that is consistently uphill where you are hitting that setting max. I do not know where you ride. I'm in Colorado. There are very few sections I have had to walk in my 15-20 years of riding here. If a section is too steep it is also probably too loose. I have ridden my regular MTB here for all these years. By Colorado standards, I am not a strong rider. Riders here seem to be exceptionally strong compared to other places I have been. However, I can produce bursts of power to get over steep rocky stuff over and over. I do not need the Turbo/Boost setting, for example. On the road bike I can produce 500-700 watts over and over with 800-1000 watts in short bursts but in general riding, my power is much lower. I think a lot depends on fitness, but I have noticed that I can pedal and even climb on the Levo SL without the motor whereas the full-power bikes are really impossible for me to pedal uphill. They seem so boggy and heavy and sink into their travel. I can actually pedal my Levo SL for miles if needed. On some steep sections, even my 46 lb Shuttle was almost impossible to get over. The full-power Levo was even more of an anchor. I can do that on the Levo SL with Eco or even no power. These are just my initial observations but I am a regular cyclist too. It isn't like I just jumped on the e-bike after years of eating pizza, drinking beer, and going to the gym once a month. I have paid my climb-suffering dues for years and years. :)
Hi
I live in South Wales where the Geometron is tested (my other bike) and Dirt Mag did their testing and ride mainly hand cut trails …not often bike parks of which there are many and mainly climb around 6-700ft at a trot.

On week days when it’s quiet I climb back up the DH stuff a bit like trials.

I don’t road ride any more.

Been on mtb since late 1980’s and still ride a non Ebike to enjoy the feel and pain of climbs ;-)

I have mtb‘ around Durango in the past and Moab. Some great biking around where you are along with skiing, paragliding and general fun. Jealous !

Because I have a non Ebike that is a capable all mountain slayer I wanted a different for when not on it, not one that was a bit like it hence the full fat approach to ebikes. Have to say that after a while you do get used to the additional weight, takes a while so if you jump off a non Ebike straight onto 23-24 kg it can feel a handful. Why perhaps many then try an18kg light Ebike and immediately gel with it as it’s similar to their non Ebike.

However as you learn more, the low down weight in a full fat Ebike makes the suspension super plush yet supportive and facilitates great grip. I’m far faster down even technical stuff on my Ebike than non now. Slow in absolute terms but relatively faster ;-)

In my mind ebikes (motors) are not really fit for purpose in our muddy gritty world here however they are utterly addictive, fantastic fun and a real worthy addition to the mtb world. All eMtb from lightweight to the external battery versions. They are all great fun and given I’m now late in 50’s, with knees getting a bit worse from a life of smashing due to flying having an Ebike is fantastic. However I still very much enjoy being with my non eeeb mates on the Geometron.

sounds like you are far more cycling fit…the Lycra crew are very cycling fit and If you want one bike and are very fit the SL type is excellent.

Dont forget the Orbea Rise, that’s 60nm EP8 RS that’s light and can be mapped to deliver the full ep8 power. Also Fazua 60 motors.

More and more options. Great !

Enjoy it out there…

F4Flyer

Sep 30, 2020
Denver
Thanks and appreciate the insight. Yes, the Durango, Crested Butte, Moab, Fruita, areas are absolutely amazing!! I can see where many will prefer a full-power ebike. I used one for two years and loved it too....the Pivot Shuttle. If I ever bought another one, I'd look at that Yeti (they are local to me, and I love 20 minutes away). For now, bikes like the Levo SL and Rise are great. I love all the newer options in the lighter and full-power e-bikes. It is dry climate here where I am so water ingress is not as much of a problem, as you know, having been to this part of the world. Enjoy the ride!

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
Cheers for that…
You live in a fantastic playground; A Basin for some scary chutes, Silverton Railway (utterly beautiful in snow) and fun landing at Denver in all that rotor off the mountains ;-)
From a dry, for now, UK…

F4Flyer

Sep 30, 2020
Denver
I ride in the Breckenridge area a lot. They do not allow e-bikes there but the trails are really nice, so I have to keep up my fitness on a regular MTB. That is where I get my suffering in, most of the time. :)

PorkPieRider

Apr 28, 2022
Hi Everyone - well the SL Comp is now here, the Whyte has been sold and it‘s on to a new chapter.

I’ve done a few rides (light trail) on the SL now and it’s very impressive. Much preferring the lighter, smaller size too (size L frame rather than the XL I had on the Whyte).

Feels more nimble and have tried lots of miles on it with no assistance at all - perfectly ridable. Clearly the power output isn’t up there with Whyte but it doesn’t feel like it needs it to be honest. I got the bike shop to throw in the little turbo connect display thing so I can see a few metrics on the go Including rider power etc which is nice.

I have to say that the software/electronics feel much more advanced than the Bosch CX and Purion display that was on the Whyte. That feels very old-skool in comparison to the mission control app tuning, micro tune, heart rate controlled assistance, ride recording etc etc. It’s all very clever and very well integrated.

As an aside I also MUCH prefer the colour on the SL - rocket red, and I am a sucker for brightly coloured bikes. I fitted a matt invisiframe kit on it before I even rode it (well, I had a quick test ride on the road for 5 mins) and that fitted like a dream. Very straight forward actually and much easier than I was expecting. Very happy.

Today I’m off to Sherwood Pines, my most local ‘trail centre’, although it isn’t the greatest test. I’m hoping for two laps round on the battery using a mix of modes. Last time I went there with the Whyte I used e-mtb mode all the way round and it was good, but the Whyte felt cumbersome. Looking forward to the lighter agility from the SL even if I will have to work harder for it!

It’s been a very long time since I had a Specialized, (a 1993 Rockhopper Expert, in purple…) and I’m loving their latest work.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles