What do I do? Whyte E150RS to Levo SL...??

PorkPieRider

Apr 28, 2022
Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire
Hi Everyone

Very short history - Been a MTBer for ever, hard tails then on to carbon Lapierre full suss (26" wheels, retro!) for the last 8 years.

Sold it, thought I'd try this new emtb generation out and bought a Whyte E150RS v2 (2022) in October 2021.

I'm now 100 miles in, charged it 4 times in total and I'm not feeling the love, just haven't gelled with it.

At the time I test rode a Spesh Levo SL and dismissed it because it didn't have the emtb 'kick' I was expecting, but I am now wondering if I missed the point.

I tend to ride XC / trails, not big jumps or pump tracks. My fitness varies somewhat but my Lapierre never felt slow or boat-like, it could just fly in the right conditions.

I find myself now riding my Whyte and basically riding the whole trail at about 16 mph, just over the assistance level and it feels so heavy and unwilling to chuck itself in to turns.

Is this just me and not being used to 29er wheels? I know the Whyte is heavy, even in emtb terms, but I do wonder if I'd have been better with the SL.

I do like to ride to keep fit, so most of the time I ride my Whyte in eco, with occasional emtb mode use. Certainly not turbo everywhere!

Any thoughts welcome - I want to love the Whyte but can't help but think I bought the wrong bike... :(

Cheers

Will.

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Years on 27.5 wheels & I still can't quite get used to wrenching 29's about. To me, it's a thing. Your other option would be to derestrict the bike, then it will run out of gears before it runs out of assistance. But it's illegal etc. etc.

PorkPieRider

Apr 28, 2022
Years on 27.5 wheels & I still can't quite get used to wrenching 29's about. To me, it's a thing. Your other option would be to derestrict the bike, then it will run out of gears before it runs out of assistance. But it's illegal etc. etc.

Thanks. Yes I did wonder if it’s just the 29s but hard to tell. I’ve never really properly thought about derestricting because of warranty, illegality etc but I think I’m talking myself into something just lighter to handle generally. Will give it some more thought.

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
Yep you missed the point with the SL! Nobody who loves ff ebikes will like the SL, if however you want a bike that handles like a steam bike, but you get just enough assist to ride every day then its the bike for you. If you ride everywhere on eco then there is absolutely no point in dragging round a FF bike, its like filling your three litre bladder right up for a half hour ride!

Muzzabike

Aug 19, 2018
New Zealand
I've gone from a Merida e160 to an SL and have no regrets. I originally wanted an Obera Rise but the model I was after wasn't available until next year, and an SL came up secondhand. I was originally a little skeptical that the SL would be under powered but after riding it for 3 months I find its power to be perfect. Its only lacking in power if your regularly ride with fit riders on full powered ebikes , then you might struggle to keep with them on the climbs. The overall riding experience is natural and closer to riding a non-assist bike than anything else I've ridden. I don't have an issue with modern 29 mtb's and for the type of riding you have described think they should be great assuming you are not shorter than average. FYI I'm around 71kg and 172 cm tall and choose the Large SL to get the reach I prefer. Hope this helps in your decision process.

PorkPieRider

Apr 28, 2022
I've gone from a Merida e160 to an SL and have no regrets. I originally wanted an Obera Rise but the model I was after wasn't available until next year, and an SL came up secondhand. I was originally a little skeptical that the SL would be under powered but after riding it for 3 months I find its power to be perfect. Its only lacking in power if your regularly ride with fit riders on full powered ebikes , then you might struggle to keep with them on the climbs. The overall riding experience is natural and closer to riding a non-assist bike than anything else I've ridden. I don't have an issue with modern 29 mtb's and for the type of riding you have described think they should be great assuming you are not shorter than average. FYI I'm around 71kg and 172 cm tall and choose the Large SL to get the reach I prefer. Hope this helps in your decision process.

This is really helpful, thank you. I’d consider myself to be medium-fit. Don‘t laugh but we do have a Peloton too and I use it for year-round cardio pretty much daily so I don’t tend to lean on the motor in my E150 that much at all.

I also don’t have friends with ebikes either - they all have analogue and are happy with them. My wife does have an emtb (a Liv) and she does lean on the motor quite a bit, but I’d think I’d be ok on an SL matched with her.

I‘m 186cm so not quite sure if I’d be an L or XL, I have historically preferred a bike on the smaller side And I can see on the Spesh website I’d be on the cusp between an L and XL.

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Has anyone gone from a full fat emtb to an SL or lightweight emtb?

There are a lot of us out there.

The SL isn't perfect, but it's one of the best options out there if you need help getting up hills but still want to ride a bike.

I kept the old norco optic for my kids , my giant full e (2018 precursor to etrance), and am loving the levo sl.

I loved the punch of the Giant, but after 3 years the novelty of the power was gone and I found myself running in the lower assistance levels more often than not. I kept the giant as back up , plus I use it as a work horse for shuttle days with the kids. It's an overweight sponge - 22 kg , 27.5 wheels and very quick geometry. Yet I feel detached from the trail.

The SL makes climbing bearable rather than fun - yes, there are at least 2/3 times on every ride where I think how much easier thus would be on the sponge , but there are hundreds of times where I'm grinning. If anything, I'm starting to enjoy needing to think a little uphill. I'll never be into that masochistic fitness crap - it should be adrenaline getting the heart beating, not hypoxia ! But once I stop spinning cranks, I LOVE the SL.

My advice - buy a light 27.5 rear, run the E150 geometry sharp for a month and see if you are still using full power. Then spend a day in eco. If you still have doubts, that 27.5 will make a levo sl really nice....and hopefully by then the new generation will gave been announced (a used levo sl has a transferrable warranty , when the kenevo sl came out the second hand price of lsl's came down , it'll drop further when gen 2 comes out)

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Has anyone gone from a full fat emtb to an SL or lightweight emtb?

Yes, had a full fat for over a year which got me back into mtb’ing after a ten year ish break and riding motorbikes instead, but once the novelty of having 85 Nm of power wore off it just felt too big, cumbersome & heavy, so went for a lightweight instead. Total game changer. Feels like I’m riding a normal bike now but with assistance up the climbs

PorkPieRider

Apr 28, 2022
Yes, had a full fat for over a year which got me back into mtb’ing after a ten year ish break and riding motorbikes instead, but once the novelty of having 85 Nm of power wore off it just felt too big, cumbersome & heavy, so went for a lightweight instead. Total game changer. Feels like I’m riding a normal bike now but with assistance up the climbs

That’s a bit how I feel about my Whyte - too big, cumbersome and heavy to be fun. I really enjoy riding a bike and a bit of effort going in is fine too.

PorkPieRider

Apr 28, 2022
There are a lot of us out there.

The SL isn't perfect, but it's one of the best options out there if you need help getting up hills but still want to ride a bike.

I kept the old norco optic for my kids , my giant full e (2018 precursor to etrance), and am loving the levo sl.

I loved the punch of the Giant, but after 3 years the novelty of the power was gone and I found myself running in the lower assistance levels more often than not. I kept the giant as back up , plus I use it as a work horse for shuttle days with the kids. It's an overweight sponge - 22 kg , 27.5 wheels and very quick geometry. Yet I feel detached from the trail.

The SL makes climbing bearable rather than fun - yes, there are at least 2/3 times on every ride where I think how much easier thus would be on the sponge , but there are hundreds of times where I'm grinning. If anything, I'm starting to enjoy needing to think a little uphill. I'll never be into that masochistic fitness crap - it should be adrenaline getting the heart beating, not hypoxia ! But once I stop spinning cranks, I LOVE the SL.

My advice - buy a light 27.5 rear, run the E150 geometry sharp for a month and see if you are still using full power. Then spend a day in eco. If you still have doubts, that 27.5 will make a levo sl really nice....and hopefully by then the new generation will gave been announced (a used levo sl has a transferrable warranty , when the kenevo sl came out the second hand price of lsl's came down , it'll drop further when gen 2 comes out)

Great idea - I’ll look in to that. I think my Whyte is more like 25kg!!

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
I echo these thoughts but went from e160 to Rise M10. FF bikes will gradually pull away from you on general climbs but it's less of an issue once things get more technical.

I still use both, Merida for 'lazy' rides, Rise for a workout or a really technical ride.

PorkPieRider

Apr 28, 2022
I echo these thoughts but went from e160 to Rise M10. FF bikes will gradually pull away from you on general climbs but it's less of an issue once things get more technical.

I still use both, Merida for 'lazy' rides, Rise for a workout or a really technical ride.

Oh boy... I'd not even considered the prospect of having two emtbs.. Keeping the Whyte and adding to the fleet !! Hmmmm....

F4Flyer

Sep 30, 2020
Denver
I like lighter bikes and I don't really like to ride long with full power, so no point carrying around the additional weight. I still enjoy my Pivot Shuttle but am getting a Levo SL tomorrow. It is more my style and what I enjoy about mountain biking...the more nimble handling and feel of a regular mountain bike.

PorkPieRider

Apr 28, 2022
I like lighter bikes and I don't really like to ride long with full power, so no point carrying around the additional weight. I still enjoy my Pivot Shuttle but am getting a Levo SL tomorrow. It is more my style and what I enjoy about mountain biking...the more nimble handling and feel of a regular mountain bike.

Thanks, will be interesting to hear how you get on.

greengenes

Jan 14, 2021
uk
I sold my SL and bought the Levo turbo comp. I do miss the SL for the ability to be able to pick it up and lift it over gates, stiles, racks, etc. So now my routes have to be planned accordingly. But the Levo turbo in all other respects is superior, including handling (surprisingly), stability, and the almost silent motor. The SL motor made such a din. Appreciably more so that the EP8 and Bosch.

St4nley

Subscriber
Nov 17, 2020
Derbyshire
Also in the 2 ebike camp here, a Rail 9.8 xt and Levo SL expert, both great bikes, Rail for more hilly days in the Peak and the SL for more xc type riding and trail centres.
Have also had a day on a Rise, while there is a lot of love for them I’d take the SL over one, I prefer the slacker head to be left to the full fat ebike and have no issues climbing on the SL it’s just a steadier pace than the Rail.

F4Flyer

Sep 30, 2020
Denver
Thanks, will be interesting to hear how you get on.

I'll report back. I like nimble bikes so when I tested several, the Pivot was the best handling for me...maybe because it had the shortest chain stays and I do like the DW Link suspensions for climbing. I will not sell it just yet but if the SL is what I prefer, I will.

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Also in the 2 ebike camp here, a Rail 9.8 xt and Levo SL expert, both great bikes, Rail for more hilly days in the Peak and the SL for more xc type riding and trail centres.
Have also had a day on a Rise, while there is a lot of love for them I’d take the SL over one, I prefer the slacker head to be left to the full fat ebike and have no issues climbing on the SL it’s just a steadier pace than the Rail.

i am pretty much the same here
I have a trek rail 9.9 for lazy days and hilly days and a rise for more xc rides / longer flatter rides
If I had to choose ONE it would be the rise as I can ride with motor off and like doing more xc riding where the lower power is perfectly enough

if I was you I would go with the sL as more suitable to type of riding you are ultimate going to do

( great warranty on the sl as well )

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
As above you may be struggling to move from a 26 to 29 front end. Also a longer, slacker and lower bike will feel less twitchy and less enthusiastic to be lobbed into tighter stuff.

29ers need to be ridden a little differently to get the best out of them. Think more carve than rooster in corners: The bike needs to be cranked over much more to encourage the drop in. However Higher weight will make the bike feel slower to rapidly drop from one turn to another. In this respect They are a bit slower for sure but will also carry great speed through momentum and the additional weight lower down creates a super planted feel. I’m faster down a fairly pedally DH trail on my eeb vs. Non eeb and they have very similar geo and same mullet setup.

Sometimes you may feel you’re not going that fast but compared to being on your old Lap may be faster. If that dings your thing.

nearly all DH bikes are at least 29 up front. Roll over and big hit handling.

Give yourself a chance on the E150; Whyte produce some great bikes both eeb and non eeb. Their kinematic are great.

have you found a good place to practise repeat runs with both supported and unsupported corners ? Look also at outside pedal position. Drop outside for low support corners and bring up for berms. And crank the bike over like never before. See how it feels. Aaron Gwinn has some good hints.

in terms of more power, find some totally gnarly climbs: roots, rocks etc. something you can’t push up and do climb challenges. To me this is what eeb stuff is all about. Challenging climbs as well as drops.

There wasn’t and still isn’t any issue with running 26” wheels. It’s more about head angles and CS lengths that require you to change technique a little. You can feather eco mode to replicate a non Ebike if a workout is what you want. I find on my runs my HR between non eeb and eeb is often only 10bpm different as I do killer climbs on the eeb that I’d have to push up on the non eeb.

just practice, play and enjoy what you have perhaps it will all come alive for you …I certainly hope so….

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
How much travel had your previous bike?
How much travel do you have now?
It might be different tires added to different suspensions?
What tires are you on?
Maybe try 3 more PSI?

jooles

Jan 23, 2020
South Wales
How much travel had your previous bike?
How much travel do you have now?
It might be different tires added to different suspensions?
What tires are you on?
Maybe try 3 more PSI?
Yep different geo…different kinematic….different wheel size….it will all need dialling in to get the best

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles