What did you buy your ebike this week?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I suspect someone's been watching Matt Jones' sales videos YouTube channel ?

Meanwhile over here, I'm going in. Hours of swearing ahead.

View attachment 72498

Haha no I’ve had my eye on the PNW for a few weeks since mashing my hand up as I can’t use my dropper lever due to having no strength in my thumb. Going rate is around £66 + delivery from USA ?

Couldn’t find any in stock in the UK and then a place we went to yesterday, Yorkshire Cycke Hub, just happened to had a fresh delivery in and are selling them for £52, bargain

Just fitted it. Now I don’t normally get excited about pushing levers but OMG this thing just makes me want to ride round in circles dropping & raising my seat post! So buttery smooth and easy to press. I can finally use my dropper seat again woo hoo!

0D3C95F7-03A7-4892-B148-8DA14D3B224F.jpeg

PS - I feel your pain, I have a Nobbly Nic to fit later. Best of luck!

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Haha no I’ve had my eye on the PNW for a few weeks since mashing my hand up as I can’t use my dropper lever due to having no strength in my thumb. Going rate is around £66 + delivery from USA ?

Couldn’t find any in stock in the UK and then a place we went to yesterday, Yorkshire Cycke Hub, just happened to had a fresh delivery in and are selling them for £52, bargain

Just fitted it. Now I don’t normally get excited about pushing levers but OMG this thing just makes me want to ride round in circles dropping & raising my seat post! So buttery smooth and easy to press. I can finally use my dropper seat again woo hoo!

View attachment 72499

PS - I feel your pain, I have a Nobbly Nic to fit later. Best of luck!

And before anyone says anything, I know, yellow & orange! Don’t care!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
And before anyone says anything, I know, yellow & orange! Don’t care!
Like anyone will notice with that monstrosity of a screen/controller photo bombing. ?

Ps. I've never understood why anyone wants grip the paddle of a dropper lever. Ie. Seeing as they all push AWAY from your thumb via a hinge in the OPPOSITE direction to your thumb joints means they work better when your thumb can slide on the paddle rather than grip it .

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Like anyone will notice with that monstrosity of a screen/controller photo bombing. ?

Ps. I've never understood why anyone wants grip the paddle of a dropper lever. Ie. Seeing as they all push AWAY from your thumb via a hinge in the OPPOSITE direction to your thumb joints means they work better when your thumb can slide on the paddle rather than grip it .

it’s so soft and easy to push that I guess the silicone insert wouldn’t make much difference compared to smooth metal. It’s crazy soft to push, kind of like a brake lever in reverse. I’ve always thumb wrestled with cheap levers before, hope this one lasts like this

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yeah. I've used one. It's not all that grippy but still.
I do struggle to see the logic of folk that put grip tape on them tho.
A soft edge would be more use to me I have a hole in my thumb from my dropper lever this weekend... My own fault for running completely worn out grips causing my hands to slide inwards off the ends

Last edited:

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Got you covered for orange Deathgrips too, brother. Also, I have a flat tyre.

Just watched that Matt Jones sales video you mentioned. His Marin bike does look sweet AF. He glides it all over those dirt jumps like it weighs in at 12kg! The video was a continuous advert for a whole range of products. He’s a natural in front of the camera, and his mate Ben filming and giggling throughout does make you laugh

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
He;s a great rider & his channel is good value so I don't want to pile in but when he gets into sponsors, he can't half trowel it on.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Sexy new stem so I can change the Kenevo to 35mm bars. New grips for that as mine are worn out from death grip ! :)

Grips with tree deflectors on the end (counterpunch) to try on the Focus, so I don't get hooked up again, when I think I might just slide it. But end up with bars going instant 90 degrees and OTB.

View attachment 72590

the first time I saw those counterpunch grips was only yesterday when the guy from Loamlab posted in the ride footage section. The end bars do look funky, like little horns!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
the first time I saw those counterpunch grips was only yesterday when the guy from Loamlab posted in the ride footage section. The end bars do look funky, like little horns!
Yup, they look nice .. I plan to test them !!! Might even make a vid ... uhmmmmm...

Haven't checked the ride footage bit for a while, I'll have a nosey.

Wasn't sure at first as they seemed quite small, but then I thought about it for a while and decided that trees were round (well, normally) so the guard only needs to be long enough to deflect you round it. Make the guard too long and you'd probably end up hooking crap instead.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Yup, they look nice .. I plan to test them !!! Might even make a vid ... uhmmmmm...

Haven't checked the ride footage bit for a while, I'll have a nosey.

Wasn't sure at first as they seemed quite small, but then I thought about it for a while and decided that trees were round (well, normally) so the guard only needs to be long enough to deflect you round it. Make the guard too long and you'd probably end up hooking crap instead.

He didn’t post a vid of the grips, I just clicked on his signature link to the loamlab website.

You should make a video review, Zimmervision ??

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Sexy new stem so I can change the Kenevo to 35mm bars. New grips for that as mine are worn out from death grip ! :)

Grips with tree deflectors on the end (counterpunch) to try on the Focus, so I don't get hooked up again, when I think I might just slide it. But end up with bars going instant 90 degrees and OTB.

View attachment 72590
What bars you getting/got? OneUp 35mm carbon are comfortable.

I'm tempted with loamlab standard grips myself.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Ok, so comfortable based on angle ? vibrations ? warmer to the touch than ally in winter :)

How crash friendly are they ?
They flex a lot, maybe too much for some. sounds like you need some fat bars.

Jesus dude, how many trees do you crash into?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Chromag say to throw them away after a year regardless.
Yow ! not getting the environmentally friendly points for those ones, or were they talking about your girlfriends ??

Jesus dude, how many trees do you crash into?
ALL of them ! :) It's called being at one with nature .. Great job on your arm plaster by the way (y)

Uhhmmm .. ok, so it looks like I'm probably an Ally bar kinda guy. Even if I'm not hitting trees directly, when the bikes on it's own in automatic tumble mode they're a pretty regular contact point .. Which reminds me, I think I was assaulted whilst still on the bike at the weekend ...

assault.jpg

It's ok though, they had too many pins and it saves me taking some out ...

Wish I'd not looked now .. it's a minefield :) I like the 35 Raceface Chesters on the Focus, they "feel" solid compared to the Kenevo for example. I thought this was psychological, but as it looks like they weigh in at 400g, maybe it's not - they are just heavy built. Haven't found an identical set for sale anywhere.

@e*thirteen Components do a fairly simple and normal looking 35 bar with similar specs - 35mm rise and 9, rather than 8 degree backsweep (will I notice 1 degree .. ?!? .. will I prefer 1 degree more ???)

Sorry .. I'm taking the what have you bought your bike thread off topic and into the realms of 25 pages of what bar's best or worst and why .. bambam will say "the one with the hottest chicks in" ..

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've bought a set of these to go with my Stem.

e*thirteen Components

Official e*thirteen
Feb 8, 2021
Global
@Zimmerframe - As you said, our bars are fairly standard with regards to rise and sweep options. Nothing too out of the norm. Our "Plus" level bar is our nicest alloy bar we make and what we would recommend if you are looking for an alloy bar over a carbon. It's a no-frills, high-end alloy bar. Reasonable weight, super strong and fairly priced. We are pretty big fan's of our stems also (of course) and our matching Plus stem is a great option if you are also picking up a bar.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
@Zimmerframe - As you said, our bars are fairly standard with regards to rise and sweep options. Nothing too out of the norm. Our "Plus" level bar is our nicest alloy bar we make and what we would recommend if you are looking for an alloy bar over a carbon. It's a no-frills, high-end alloy bar. Reasonable weight, super strong and fairly priced. We are pretty big fan's of our stems also (of course) and our matching Plus stem is a great option if you are also picking up a bar.
Thank for the reply @e*thirteen Components. So to give you the stage and let a heavyweight member do the unusual and give the hard sell without being mod pounced.... (because you're answering a question).

The Base is 6061 Aluminium, and only about €30, but 400g ish.
The Plus is 7075 Aluminium and about €70, weighing in at 280, 290g ish.
And then having a look, the Carbon "Race" is Carbon, but I don't know what type or layup, or even what type or layup would be considered optimal for handlebars. Available for about €120 and comes in around 230g.

I literally have no idea as it's something I've never really put that much thought into. I know a 35 is stiffer, or certainly feels it. A 35 gives more area to clamp a bar, so you can clamp at a lower torque - which is better for carbon. Though that then might mean if someone wanted carbon bar to not be stiff, it's contradicting itself. As usual much of this will be personal preference I guess.

If you have the time, patience, energy, will to live - as if you're talking to a bunch of idiots (you are if that helps) what are the advantages and disadvantages of each in real world terms for the average muppet ? You can use Doom's Funn 35 kingpin as a comparison if that helps, or not if you don't want to. This is more about information and education than brand rivalry.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Thank for the reply @e*thirteen Components. So to give you the stage and let a heavyweight member do the unusual and give the hard sell without being mod pounced.... (because you're answering a question).

The Base is 6061 Aluminium, and only about €30, but 400g ish.
The Plus is 7075 Aluminium and about €70, weighing in at 280, 290g ish.
And then having a look, the Carbon "Race" is Carbon, but I don't know what type or layup, or even what type or layup would be considered optimal for handlebars. Available for about €120 and comes in around 230g.

I literally have no idea as it's something I've never really put that much thought into. I know a 35 is stiffer, or certainly feels it. A 35 gives more area to clamp a bar, so you can clamp at a lower torque - which is better for carbon. Though that then might mean if someone wanted carbon bar to not be stiff, it's contradicting itself. As usual much of this will be personal preference I guess.

If you have the time, patience, energy, will to live - as if you're talking to a bunch of idiots (you are if that helps) what are the advantages and disadvantages of each in real world terms for the average muppet ? You can use Doom's Funn 35 kingpin as a comparison if that helps, or not if you don't want to. This is more about information and education than brand rivalry.
Maybe you should be asking which bars are crash tested and are they tested/rated for downhill race use?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Ok, so after several hours of research in carbon and alloy, different angles, shapes and so on .. I did some more research .. and then some more .. somehow wasted most of the morning looking after all the time I wasted yesterday looking ...

And decided ... on the Funn Kingpin 35's because @Doomanic is my childhood hero. OK, actually, after all of that .. I chose them because I liked the red and thought it would go well with the Kenevo's red bits.... ?

Unfortunately, the story takes a turn for the worse there as no matter what I try, the buying bit on chain reaction seems to be having an off day.

So instead I've just bought the Carbon Neatt Oxygen's because they're most similar in numbers to the ones on the bike now - except lighter. So my lardy Kenevo will now be less than 24kg's .. which in modern terms, makes it a lightweight :)

And now I get to try some carbon bars with my sexy new stem and see how they feel. I think I'll have a lunchtime BBQ to celebrate before it starts freekin raining again.

Bought a new RRP bolt on front for the Focus so I can move the Muckynuts to the back.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles