What did you buy your ebike this week?

HIGHL4NDER

Jul 10, 2019
Scotland (nr Edinburgh)
An old roadie mate used to do the same. He'd done it since the 60s so I suspect it's almost as old an idea as the waterbottle and cage itself.

There are far better solutions today for not a lot of dosh.

LifeLine Zip Up Tool Stash | Chain Reaction Cycles

Same product is available on ebay for about £3.50 if you can wait for delivery from China

very similar to mine, but the one I picked up says GIANT on it. was < £10 but cant remember where I found it. Amazing what you can fit in it, got levers, C02 & spare large canister, CB19 multi-tool, tyre boots & patches for the wife's tyres, tubeless plugs and reamer tool for mine. Even found room for zip ties and a spare gopro battery. Great bit of kit!

I still take a tiny backpack, but it only holds a little water, pump and first aid kit.

This week was a quiet one, just a top cap gopro mount for my halfrauds light (not a fan of the rubber bar mount) and the pedal tool to fix my loose pedal!

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
29er front wheel assembly for KHS 6555e+. Its perfect candidate for a mullet... or maybe not. Should know something soon. Chances are good, I wont be able to tell the difference.
20191015_101245.jpg

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
29er front wheel assembly for KHS 6555e+. Its perfect candidate for a mullet... or maybe not. Should know something soon. Chances are good, I wont be able to tell the difference.
View attachment 20128
Oh boy was I wrong! See above post scepticism. The mullet rocks on this bike, and I cant think of a single reason to ever put the 27.5 back on except as a backup.
I'll try to make all this optimism a little more objective in the "other manufacturers" thread I started for the Voltiac later on.

As a side note, the shop that setup up the wheel, mounted a DH casing assegai with maxgrip becuase he figured I was the only local customer who would ever be able to tolerate it (no real down hill here that I know of). Its so much better in the corners (less squirm) than the exo+ maxterra of the same tire and rolls pretty dam fast if you ask me, but that may be the 29er effect.

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
very similar to mine, but the one I picked up says GIANT on it.
Yeah. it's exactly the same product. Loads of "brands" sell them.
I'd kinda prefer no logos on everything if I could so for me the cheapie direct from china ones are win win

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Yeah. it's exactly the same product. Loads of "brands" sell them.
I'd kinda prefer no logos on everything if I could so for me the cheapie direct from china ones are win win

These all seem to state that their only "shower proof", is this just to cover themselves or do they leak a lot through the zip and you stick all your stuff in a plastic bag in the case ?

HIGHL4NDER

Jul 10, 2019
Scotland (nr Edinburgh)
These all seem to state that their only "shower proof", is this just to cover themselves or do they leak a lot through the zip and you stick all your stuff in a plastic bag in the case ?

Well mine has a ridged flap of material over the zip so you cannot see the zip when its closed. I forgot to take it off the bike when I was cleaning it last time and no water got in. Also been out twice in really awful downpours with no noticed ingress.

I can't remember where I got it from honestly, but this is mine and it is sold as "waterproof":
Giant Tool Capsule | Tredz Bikes

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Admittedly, I'm a terrible test rider becuase I just end up adapting to the machine I'm riding, and going with it. I often get way out in left field with a setup and have to go back and start over. In this case though, the khs 6555e+ had a fairly steep steering angle, and actually seems to turn better with the taller front wheel; I wanted the steering to slow down, and it did.

Geometry Geeks

What I didnt expect was to like the feel from the DH casing better, but there it is, I said it.

What I didnt expect was the 29 to roll noticeably better but it feels faster. I might connect to that strava thingy again and see if there is any actual truth to my seat of the pants opinions.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Ordered Cube specific performance mudguards
You'll like these ! I have the "race" ones which are slightly lighter but flimsier. The front cracked eventually but it had survived an astronomical number of crashes upto that point.

If you have to use the big round spacer on the front, roughen it up first so it grips better and for the rear wrap electrical tape or similar where you plan to mount it or the clamp will eventually mark the paint.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
You'll like these ! I have the "race" ones which are slightly lighter but flimsier. The front cracked eventually but it had survived an astronomical number of crashes upto that point.

If you have to use the big round spacer on the front, roughen it up first so it grips better and for the rear wrap electrical tape or similar where you plan to mount it or the clamp will eventually mark the paint.

I think you have a Kenevo?
Have you had any other e-bikes before that one?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think you have a Kenevo?
Have you had any other e-bikes before that one?

An e8000 hardtail before the Kenevo .. Which had the cubes on. and a decathlon e-st500 before that .. which was more unreliable than any of the unreliable stories you hear about any of the bike brands on here even in peoples worst nightmares. Two rides maximum between stoppages .. I learnt a lot about how crap it was to ride without a motor during that period. I bought the cubes for that initially. In fairness to the decathlon bike, I think they've sorted out the reliability issues, so now it's probably not bad for the money (in bike terms) as a fireroad plodder.

That's all this year... :) Unhappy wife ... Unhappy life .... it works the other way round too :ROFLMAO::rolleyes::censored::cry:

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills

Do you keep the mud guards on all year round or only in winter?

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Yay! The stems for my build came in today. The machining on these are just works of art...
Wow you got all three lengths huh. Can’t get over how thin the front clamps are. Gorgeous machining indeed!
I also ordered that same stem last week, but only the 60mm in black - the ‘Sam Hill’ edition. Just waiting for it to arrive together with a matching Nukeproof 38mm riser bar.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Teno, how do you like the Havoks btw?
I like them fine on dry, and on rocks and roots. They're true plus size tires, very wide in the 2.8 size, light, fast and floaty. But I punctured the rear pretty easy with a big gash running about 18 psi. I wouldn't run them that low in the rear knowing what I know now. They were a bitch to mount!

YrianX

Patreon
Sep 14, 2019
Norway
Wow you got all three lengths huh. Can’t get over how thin the front clamps are. Gorgeous machining indeed!
I also ordered that same stem last week, but only the 60mm in black - the ‘Sam Hill’ edition. Just waiting for it to arrive together with a matching Nukeproof 38mm riser bar.

Yeah they are LOVELY! Almost can't stop staring at them... Pic's don't really do them justice.

There was a sale on and I have always wanted to have a set to be able to play around to find the best position as I struggle a bit currently to get the right balance of weight on my arms for control Vs numbness in hands on long rides.

Got the 35mm 50mm and 60mm, also have a Renthal Apex 40mm on my Scott... And the original 70mm the Scott came with so should be fully covered for playing around with setup now :ROFLMAO:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles