What bar size are you all running?

Mikey1984

Oct 27, 2018
North east uk
My giant e+0 sx 19 come with 800x35 20mm rise but i felt a little low on the front so iv just had some renthal carbon 30mm rise fitted looking forward to trying them on the trails.

What size are others using?

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
The back sweep is what i really look for. Anything with 9-10 degrees of backsweep feels really comfortable in my hands

Cam Zink's cz38 bar, murdered out black on black :cool:
760mm, 38mm rise, 9.5 backsweep

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
My giant e+0 sx 19 come with 800x35 20mm rise but i felt a little low on the front so iv just had some renthal carbon 30mm rise fitted looking forward to trying them on the trails.

What size are others using?
I have different width/rise bars on different bikes. ranging from 710 to 800mm and rise varies considerably per bike too.
But that's massively irrelevant to you. it doesn't matter what bar height or clamp diameter anyone else is using.
You're not them, you won't have their proportions, flexibility, riding style or preference.
You're probably not on the same bike/size bike
almost definitely won't have the same bike geometry, head tube length, fork axle to crown length nevermind stem rise headset stack.
Not all manufacturers even measure their ride the same and there certainly isn't consistency between sweep figures (even from the same manufacturer)
Unfortunately getting bar position as "right" as possible is down to personal preference and trial and error.

If you are unsure of what height bars you prefer on a particular bike I'd suggest finding a bar with up/back sweep you get on with and using spacers to find your preferred height through riding the bike where you normally ride and are familiar with. it's a lot more cost effective to raise/lower a suitable alu bar via spacers and choose width by moving controls/grips than buying another manufacturers expensive carbon bar they claim to have 10mm more rise in the hope that their definition of 10mm is ideal for you.

Giant OEM bars used to have a horrible sweep for me and felt horrible whatever height/roll I tried them at. I don't know if they've gotten any better in recent years

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
I always think a good starting point for bar height for a rider who is unsure of where his bars should be, is to position the bar level with your saddle.

If you have to run a high riser like a 50mm or even a 70mm, go with that. In my option headset spacers look dorky and high-risers are the sheet. :cool:

Mikey1984

Oct 27, 2018
North east uk
I have different width/rise bars on different bikes. ranging from 710 to 800mm and rise varies considerably per bike too.
But that's massively irrelevant to you. it doesn't matter what bar height or clamp diameter anyone else is using.
You're not them, you won't have their proportions, flexibility, riding style or preference.
You're probably not on the same bike/size bike
almost definitely won't have the same bike geometry, head tube length, fork axle to crown length nevermind stem rise headset stack.
Not all manufacturers even measure their ride the same and there certainly isn't consistency between sweep figures (even from the same manufacturer)
Unfortunately getting bar position as "right" as possible is down to personal preference and trial and error.

If you are unsure of what height bars you prefer on a particular bike I'd suggest finding a bar with up/back sweep you get on with and using spacers to find your preferred height through riding the bike where you normally ride and are familiar with. it's a lot more cost effective to raise/lower a suitable alu bar via spacers and choose width by moving controls/grips than buying another manufacturers expensive carbon bar they claim to have 10mm more rise in the hope that their definition of 10mm is ideal for you.

Giant OEM bars used to have a horrible sweep for me and felt horrible whatever height/roll I tried them at. I don't know if they've gotten any better in recent years

Thanks for taking time to write all that info Gary i was just wanting a little lift on the front and that 10mm feels better for me so far. I was just intrested to see what other people were changing even though i understand we arnt all the same ie bikes and body size and maybe i should of posted this in the giant section.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I changed the bar height on my emtb by 2mm (via moving one of those absolutely hideously dorky looking headset spacers). The bike came spec'd with a bar I already use on another bike so sweep and width were sweet. and I already have a very similar geometry/travel regular enduro bike so matching set-up was an incredibly painless and quick procedure. (still requiring riding/trial and error though)

Ps. bars at the same height as saddle is a pretty poor starting point for most mtb riding. And IMO mtb bar height should always be set for optimum control when standing rather than comfort while seated.

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
I've replaced the stock one with Nukeproof Horizon carbon bars. 10mm rise and 800mm wide. Really comfy for me but not everyone's cup of tea for sure :p I like the subtle graphics on them too, it's a nice touch in my opinion.

RobNevyn

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Nov 19, 2018
Central Coast NSW Australia
I'm changing the bars on my E +1, considering Renthal Fatbar Lite's with 40mm rise and 760mm width. Like Gary said it is all personal preference however several people have said the Giant cockpit feels low and I agree with them.

Isshogai

Dec 19, 2018
Frankfurt
i replaced my stock bar for a Thomson titanium riser bar, for a litte more FLEX. So far i've been using it for 5k kilometers, and i'm more then pleased with it.

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Anything less than 780 just feels weird now.

Isn't it weird how you can really tell a 20mm difference in bar width. I could go up in width from experience, I'd really struggle to down in size.

Positioning has been covered in great detail by Gary. It still amazes me how many people still have the bars set at the top of the steerer because that's how it came.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Oh wheelie
I once seen a man with a steering wheel stuffed down his pants. I asked what’s with the steering wheel shoved down ya pants.
He replied “ don’t know, but it’s driving me nuts “
A career in cracker joke writing awaits... :ROFLMAO:

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
Nukeproof bars I see mentioned they really nice and the closest I have found in shape to Renthal which are my favourite bar ,they seem to have a little less rise and sweep to others , Easton carbon I have one bike also feel similar .
I was surprised the other day when I swapped some carbon Renthals for the nukeproof bars on my daughters new vitus at the difference in wieght , in a word don’t bother with carbon bars if it’s just for wieght saving the carbons were about 50 grams lighter , less vibration if that matters to you is the reason for carbon .

I have set of your favourite giant bars Gary if your missing them ? something about the shape was wrong . Newer giants are better but still a strange bend

Kiwi in Wales

Short cranks rule!🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carmarthen, Wales
I run 750mm wide purely because I have a lot of fairly narrow single track to navigate around on a lot of my local trails. Any wider and I unfortunately start clipping trees and snagging bramble tenticles :rolleyes:.
The rise, for me personally I like to run 4 x 5mm spacers and have a 15 degree rise but as Gary says, this all comes down to personal preference and riding styles (y)

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Nukeproof bars I see mentioned they really nice and the closest I have found in shape to Renthal which are my favourite bar ,they seem to have a little less rise and sweep to others , Easton carbon I have one bike also feel similar .
Yeah. I get on well with Nukeproof bars too, Have them on 3 bikes. Renthal, Raceface, Spank, Easton and Funn on others. The Renthals are actually the most different feeling bend (sweep) to all the others. But even sticking to one brands bars sweep can change within model/rise/width offered.
If you only have one bike it'll be either a case of trial and error until you find the sweep/shape you get on with best or just run what's there and adapt to them. We can all ride a multitude of shapes/width bars just fine but there will be a preference in there somewhere for everyone.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I have recently switched to the Nukeproof Horizon bars on my bikes, having used Renthals for as long as I can remember previously - I really like them, seem a bit less buzzy too, and like @Kernow says nice and lite. Mine are 780 and 38mm rise - I run them tilted quite far forward though, whereas I know a lot people line the up with the HA.

I tried 800 Fatbars but felt too cumbersome - I also went down to 760mm on the hardtail in the summer, as per @Kiwi in Wales situation lot of overgrown single track and wanted to see if the bars being cut down made a difference, which it did, but missed the 780 feel so went back to that length.

Interesting article on Pinkbike the other day about bar/stem relationship, not sure as to how much what they explore stacks up, but the basis of it is that you should always have your hands in-front of the stem bolt/steering axis, and some short stems and bars combos can put your hands behind this point due to not just the sweep, but where the bend is in the bars.

Exploring the Relationship Between Handlebar vs Stem Length - Pinkbike

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I run them tilted quite far forward though, whereas I know a lot people line the up with the HA.
I'm an awkward bastard (No? really?) and roll forwards minisculely with most bars

Haven't read the PB article but agree too short a stem/sweepy a bar can be detrimental to handling. (on mtb anyway, BMX and moto it's fine)

ULEWZ

Nov 27, 2018
Northridge, Ca
The wife and I are use to higher bars so I just bought 2 Diety 35 820mm wide with 38mm rise and will see how that works. On sale for $39.95 each, so no big deal if they don't work out. 820mm may be too wide, so I may cut them down to 800mm using the printed cut lines. Upsweap 5, backsweep 9, 346g.

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
I run Burgtec carbon at 800mm wide.
What Gary says is correct that one persons ideal size and width is another persons pain in the wrist, so always experiment and try different heights, but do be careful at trying different widths cause once you cut those bars you cant go back.
Interestingly most people run there bars at 780mm (from talking to people and what they most have to cut them to at the local bike shop) at Burgtec we used to sell 780's but customers still wanted 800 and cut them down, so now when we make new bars we only do 800mm.

Julio

Dec 21, 2018
New Zealand
The wife and I are use to higher bars so I just bought 2 Diety 35 820mm wide with 38mm rise and will see how that works. On sale for $39.95 each, so no big deal if they don't work out. 820mm may be too wide, so I may cut them down to 800mm using the printed cut lines. Upsweap 5, backsweep 9, 346g.
Where did you find the Deity bars on sale please?

ULEWZ

Nov 27, 2018
Northridge, Ca
Got my Deity bars in the mail this morning, so naturally I installed them on my bike and the wife's bike. 820mm was too wide for the existing wiring, so out came the tube cutter, and now both are 800mm, same as stock. I like the 38mm rise as it was way more comfortable for me, especially for the downhills. The uphills, while way more comfortable on my wrists, caused the front end to come up on the steepest of climbs, necessitating leaning a great deal forward. Not a show stopper, but It was noticeable.
20190111_135557.jpg
20190111_135604.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles