What Backpack?

Andy.M

Nov 25, 2020
Rochester UK
Hi guys, as the title, looking for some pointers on a suitable backpack.

I have a Focus Jam2 which has a bottle holder. I am thinking of having some longer days out and will be using the TEC battery extender which uses the bottle cage mount meaning I need another way of carrying a bottle. I imagine I will need room for extra coat etc as well.

Now I've never liked wearing back packs as I tend to get a very sweaty back!! So any particular bags to look at?

Richywalker64

Nov 14, 2020
Hartlepool
I use a Camelbak and think it's brilliant, they also have a wide range of sizes
I also have an Evoc e-ride to carry my spare Shimano battery but I find it too big and heavy, especially up steep climbs when the bike just wants to wheelie

SwissMountainLeader

Mar 10, 2021
Switzerland
depends how much you want to carry. Personally I use a waist bag for short rides

For longer days, I have a Deuter Trans Alpine 24L. It depends on what you want to carry and where you are. I’m in remote places quite a lot and probably more aware than most people of what can go wrong and what I need to deal with it.

Dazb

Sep 27, 2021
North East England
I bought an Osprey Syncro 12L recently and I'm more than happy with it, It has the airflow section on the back to stop getting sweaty and it doesn't cost the earth.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have had a Camelbak MULE for about 12 years and although it is showing a few scars it is still perfectly usable. It holds everything I need and can even take a bit more. It is super tough too and shrugs off brambles and the like. Catching one of the pockets on an overhanging tree ripped it open but some use of my sewing skills sorted that out and that was about 4 years ago! I almost wish the bloody thing would wear out so I could justify buying a new one!
It is only in the height of Summer that I get the sweaty back issue, but I believe that the latest models have a better design to reduce contact with your back and to promote airflow.

Howz

Oct 12, 2019
Chester
I’ve got a battery extender and use the below with hydration bladder, really comfy backpack, but a bit expensive.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I use the camelbak waistbag. Carries hydration plus all my spares. Much better in my book than a backpack both in terms of comfort/freedom of movement and weight distribution on the bike.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Now I've never liked wearing back packs as I tend to get a very sweaty back!! So any particular bags to look at?

Without a doubt, Camelbak. They make a variety of styles, so pick whatever fits your needs. Most of their full-size packs use 3 liter bladders. I don't care for the waist packs. To keep it in place, I have to wear it too tight and it's not comfortable. My primary one is the kind that carries the weight lower on your back. It's big enough to carry a couple snacks, tools, pump, and tube. I can also jam a small jacket in there.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
I’ve got a battery extender and use the below with hydration bladder, really comfy backpack, but a bit expensive.

I’ve used kreiga stuff on the motorbike for years. Their stuff is absolutely bomb proof. The r15 is my go to rucksack 👌🏻

I use this on the mtb.

It’s really good quality and very comfy. Also has the mesh airflow thingy which is good.

Last edited:

Stoffel

Jun 16, 2021
Cotswolds UK
I’ve been using an Osprey Syncro 12 for almost a year and I’m very happy with it. It is held off your back to allow the air to circulate so you don’t get too sweaty.
It has a zipped section with separate compartments for your tools and spares and a bigger zipped compartment for a jacket/food. It also comes with a waterproof cover to stop it getting up to the paps in the winter.

GMLS

Jun 22, 2020
Surrey
I love my Osprey 14.Really well designed with a specific tool roll holder and other compartments, very comfortable, light and allows your back to breathe whilst also giving a lot of spine protection.They even sent me a replacement buckle foc after 8 years use.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I'm an "everything but the kitchen sink " kind of rider and use a Camelbak HAWG..tough as old boots with loads of storage and up to 3l of water ..it sits off your back ..ventilation is good ..excellent back pack .
This is the latest version ..pricey !
I paid less than £100..a good few years back ..

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
Main thing for me is hydration so I’ve always used Camelbak in various guises. I currently have a Lobo a Mule and a Charge they all have good storage and decent back ventilation

Tone461

Nov 29, 2020
West Midlands
Been using one of these for about 3 months now, Curved shoulder straps are very good and its well made . Drinks tube is only on the left side though....? Bit of a mid size pack I'd say.....

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
I use a Camelback Chase vest for shorter/solo rides. It's got really handy pockets in the shoulder straps for nibbles, phone etc so I don't need to take it off unless I need to get a tube out or tools. It also sits high on the back so you can still access pockets in the back of your top if you have them.

For big/family rides I use an Osprey Raptor which has a really good tool wrap bit in the bottom (so you don't have to tip your pack out to find tools) which has a flap to lay out on the ground so little bits like chain links do not easily get lost in the grass or mud.

samohtr

Jul 24, 2020
St Albans

Another vote for the Decathlon ALL MOUNTAIN MTB HYDRATION BELT 4L/1.5L WATER - BLACK from me.

This one is bigger than the evoc one, comes with a 1.5 litre bladder and is still half the price.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I drink before and after rides. I never carry liquid so
12 months i use a lumbar pack, they come in different sizes
all you need is a good 2 in belt.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Hi guys, as the title, looking for some pointers on a suitable backpack.

I have a Focus Jam2 which has a bottle holder. I am thinking of having some longer days out and will be using the TEC battery extender which uses the bottle cage mount meaning I need another way of carrying a bottle. I imagine I will need room for extra coat etc as well.

I got a cheap Tomshoo last xmas never heard of them . £ 26 complete with cover , pocket insidefor waterbag , outerpocket as well. 20ltr. Spot on. Winter or wet riding mine gets covered in mud so i wouldn't spend a fortune on one. Not so easy to clean . Think i will get a spare one not so easily dried this time of year not too keen on a wet rucksack on my back.

Andy.M

Nov 25, 2020
Rochester UK
Thanks all for replies
I went for the Decathlon ALL MOUNTAIN MTB HYDRATION BELT 4L/1.5L WATER - BLACK

Wasn't sure when it arrived but had a test ride today and thought it was great. Never knew I was wearing it while buzzing around the countryside trails!

Plenty of room for water and essentials and a thin wind cheater coat.

Its the first time Ive used a hydration bladder and did find it a bit of a faff trying to suck the water but expect I will get used to it.
Only thing is how should I look after the bladder? Do I try and leave it propped open to dry?

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Thanks all for replies

Wasn't sure when it arrived but had a test ride today and thought it was great. Never knew I was wearing it while buzzing around the countryside trails!

Its the first time Ive used a hydration bladder and did find it a bit of a faff trying to suck the water but expect I will get used to it.
Only thing is how should I look after the bladder? Do I try and leave it propped open to dry?
You will end up with a few different ones i used a bum bag for many years . Now depending where i am going and time of year i pick what i think i need.

Duke

Feb 15, 2021
Germany
Thanks all for replies

Unmout the hose wash the mouthpiece and swirl the hose a few times around to get the water of.
Empty out the water as good as posible of the bladder let it open and hang it somewhere to let it completely dry. Never close it if it is moisty. Left the hose and the bladder seperate to dry before you use it next time.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I only use water so sweel out occasionally with boiling water . That's all i do you could sterilize with miltons or similar.

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Just gone to a hydration belt with a 2lt bladder in it and enough room for all your tools plus more space for snacks, keys etc. I too suffered from the 'Sweaty Back Syndrome' and find the belt much, much better. Plus it helps lower your centre of gravity. Took a little time to get used to clipping the hose back on to your waist with a magnetic attachment but would not go back to a back pack now. Can't remember the brand and at work now so can't look but it was under 50 pounds in cost.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
depends how much you want to carry. Personally I use a waist bag for short rides

For longer days, I have a Deuter Trans Alpine 24L. It depends on what you want to carry and where you are. I’m in remote places quite a lot and probably more aware than most people of what can go wrong and what I need to deal with it.

Same here in remote areas a lot and solo. If i break down sods law it will be at the bottom of a hill with a big push out. Winter soon here , not nice being wet and hungry with 20 miles still to go.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles