what are your feelings on riding trails that are in USFS areas?

Cavi

Jun 15, 2020
California, usa
So currently usfs considers emtb to be motorized vehicles and thus we are only allowed to ride trails that motorcycles can ride. This is absurd, but currently true. Do all of you stay off the usfs trails? Or just ride them discreetly? I am in the latter, I actually rode one trial and did not realize that is was a no no until now months latter. I honestly feel that we just need to carefully use them and be mindful.

Kyle_AZ_eMTB

Feb 5, 2021
Arizona
Unfortunately, in the US (at least in Arizona) there are plenty of haters when it comes to sharing the trail.

I rode a trail yesterday on my acoustic bike and there were signs posted from the USFS that the trail system was potentially going to be shutdown because of "excessive speed". It seems to me that the real concern is a disrespect for fellow trail users (all around with with hikers, bikers, and equestrian riders). I've had hikers refuse to let me past on the bike. I always ring my bike bell, slow down and stop, unless they let me through prior to stopping. We constantly see the trail lad-den with hazards that were placed there by man.

The US has a deep lack of understanding of the value of class 1 eBikes and how beneficial they are, especially for those of us in mountain country. I rode in Sedona last week and pretty much every trail I rode on had a "no eBike AND no Assist" sign attached to the trail marker. Heard all the arguments and none of them hold water why Class 1 should not be permitted on trails authorized for bikes. Since having Covid my oxygen levels have been low and my working heart rate has been higher than pre-Covid. Maybe I can get the doc's "prescription" for an eBike and get a pass for a few of the trails that allow as much...

If the USFS wanted to get rid of the grumbling from hikers they would threaten to take away their privileges by saying, "okay hikers get odd calendar days, and bikers get even". See how they like being refused access to tax payers land, not to mention the trail builders in my area are primarily mountain bikers. The hikers get the benefit of using "our" trails.

Let's hope that USFS listens to all the lobby groups, but most importantly takes a look at how the rest of the world is handling eBikes.

Cheers :rolleyes:

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
I'm not in the US, but that's a rule I'd happily ignore - as long as the consequence is just a telling off. It IS outrageous that so many of these places take government funding and purport to be serving the needs of citizens and follow that up by excluding a load of people. There are definitely issues around high powered, heavy vehicles using off road tracks. But IME, limiting their use to a handful of places has led to increased erosion and unusable trails. Message of responsible use is more effective IMO.

Sheer Thrill

Mar 28, 2021
USA
All this eBike hysteria is fueled by oppressive elitists and purists who get an ego boost from kicking out and holding down individuals they do not relate with. Privileged trail users can be just as irresponsible and disrespectful. Just as there are more responsible and respectful bikers than irresponsible ones. Douchebaggery is not a quality that comes with a purchase of an eBike, I’ve checked my receipt. It is absurd that modern day people are stuck in a primitive mindset that feeds on disregard. It is such a shame that there is an active restriction here is US that people hypocritically propagate but have no valid arguments to back their words with. Their complaints are unfounded. Their opinions and claims that eMountain Bike riders are hooligans with no interest in anything other than vulgar display of power without any oversight, are simply being fortified and massaged to serve their agenda, which is to keep the trails to themselves. I personally consider myself to be an open-minded person and gladly engage in a friendly debate with anyone who calls me out for riding in the Forest. In fact, I often encourage people to speak out and even promise to keep my mouth shut and let people speak without interruption. I believe that the quieter we are on these types of subjects the more open to interpretation others become. It literally creates an informational vacuum that uneducated people fill it with whatever they see fit.

The trail systems are there for people to enjoy and eMountain Bikes simply allow for an amplified riding experience. Beyond the significant health benefits of the activity itself, it’s also an elevated adventure that drives you happily insane! Trail access advocacy should be greater, not more restrictive. Restricting access to eMountain Bikes on trails is extremely disappointing if not discriminatory. And we all know, discriminating against a minority group is not a quality to be proud with today. Responsible and respectful eBike riders outnumber the irresponsible ones. The actions of the few should not restrict access for all.

But hey! I’m only a voice out of 7 Billion, don’t take it as gospel :)

Kyle_AZ_eMTB

Feb 5, 2021
Arizona
All this eBike hysteria is fueled by oppressive elitists and purists who get an ego boost from kicking out and holding down individuals they do not relate with. Privileged trail users can be just as irresponsible and disrespectful. Just as there are more responsible and respectful bikers than irresponsible ones. Douchebaggery is not a quality that comes with a purchase of an eBike, I’ve checked my receipt. It is absurd that modern day people are stuck in a primitive mindset that feeds on disregard. It is such a shame that there is an active restriction here is US that people hypocritically propagate but have no valid arguments to back their words with. Their complaints are unfounded. Their opinions and claims that eMountain Bike riders are hooligans with no interest in anything other than vulgar display of power without any oversight, are simply being fortified and massaged to serve their agenda, which is to keep the trails to themselves. I personally consider myself to be an open-minded person and gladly engage in a friendly debate with anyone who calls me out for riding in the Forest. In fact, I often encourage people to speak out and even promise to keep my mouth shut and let people speak without interruption. I believe that the quieter we are on these types of subjects the more open to interpretation others become. It literally creates an informational vacuum that uneducated people fill it with whatever they see fit.

The trail systems are there for people to enjoy and eMountain Bikes simply allow for an amplified riding experience. Beyond the significant health benefits of the activity itself, it’s also an elevated adventure that drives you happily insane! Trail access advocacy should be greater, not more restrictive. Restricting access to eMountain Bikes on trails is extremely disappointing if not discriminatory. And we all know, discriminating against a minority group is not a quality to be proud with today. Responsible and respectful eBike riders outnumber the irresponsible ones. The actions of the few should not restrict access for all.

But hey! I’m only a voice out of 7 Billion, don’t take it as gospel :)

Over-reach of the government prompted by a mis-informed minority whose request for "respect of their rights" takes away the rights of the majority.

Stagg3r

Mar 25, 2020
Asheville, NC, USA
Please don't brake the law. It will be bad for all of us. I ride acoustic, emtb and motorcycles and while I agree with everyone that the current usfs guidelines are absurd, it needs to be respected and fought via changing their rulling as oppose to ignoring them.
Some of us have litte choice if we want to ride our ebikes at all. I'm in Asheville, NC and 95% of trails around here are either USFS or Dupont State forest (the latter used to be known locally for being cool about class 1 but then put sinage up barring them). The only places that are openly friendly are the gravity focused bike parks. The other 5% are the full on motorized vehicle trails. That's great if you really want to be a hazard to yourself and others by going 15mph where the rest of the traffic is going at least twice that.
That said, I have noticed a marked difference in attitudes of local riders in the last year. I used to get dirty looks and an occasional gtfo. Now just about everyone asks me about my bike with sincere curiosity and says its their next purchase. Where I used to only ride off peak hours to avoid hikers and other mtbers, now the folks I know that only have acoustics just encourage me to go with their group rides an no one gives a toss about my emtb. You still hear the anti emtb talk around ("Pisgah is too small, another group of users will destroy the trails" and "Pisgah is too big, emtbers will go too far out and get stranded when their battery dies" are common... often from the same person) but it is fading as people actually get to ride one. The issue is that other groups would be happy to see all bikes off "their" trails. This isn't likely to change soon. Nor am I about to move my family from our home, work and school. So, if I want to ride my bike more than the few times a year I can get to a gravity park (what with working graveyard at the county water treatment plant), I may have to bend or just break the rules. I am always respectful and make sure I limit my impact on all other trail users but this is my home. The reality is that Pisgah is already full of class 1 emtbs and I have never seen an emoto on mtb trails. JUst like the other emtbers I see out on the trails, I am not going to abstain from my favorite sport/activity for years to "show goodwill" to a group that will act in bad faith no matter what I/we do.

Gutch

Sep 10, 2018
South Carolina
Some of us have litte choice if we want to ride our ebikes at all. I'm in Asheville, NC and 95% of trails around here are either USFS or Dupont State forest (the latter used to be known locally for being cool about class 1 but then put sinage up barring them). The only places that are openly friendly are the gravity focused bike parks. The other 5% are the full on motorized vehicle trails. That's great if you really want to be a hazard to yourself and others by going 15mph where the rest of the traffic is going at least twice that.
That said, I have noticed a marked difference in attitudes of local riders in the last year. I used to get dirty looks and an occasional gtfo. Now just about everyone asks me about my bike with sincere curiosity and says its their next purchase. Where I used to only ride off peak hours to avoid hikers and other mtbers, now the folks I know that only have acoustics just encourage me to go with their group rides an no one gives a toss about my emtb. You still hear the anti emtb talk around ("Pisgah is too small, another group of users will destroy the trails" and "Pisgah is too big, emtbers will go too far out and get stranded when their battery dies" are common... often from the same person) but it is fading as people actually get to ride one. The issue is that other groups would be happy to see all bikes off "their" trails. This isn't likely to change soon. Nor am I about to move my family from our home, work and school. So, if I want to ride my bike more than the few times a year I can get to a gravity park (what with working graveyard at the county water treatment plant), I may have to bend or just break the rules. I am always respectful and make sure I limit my impact on all other trail users but this is my home. The reality is that Pisgah is already full of class 1 emtbs and I have never seen an emoto on mtb trails. JUst like the other emtbers I see out on the trails, I am not going to abstain from my favorite sport/activity for years to "show goodwill" to a group that will act in bad faith no matter what I/we do.
Amen brother. I live in Travelers Rest SC.

Nov 21, 2020
Tucson, AZ
Unfortunately, in the US (at least in Arizona) there are plenty of haters when it comes to sharing the trail.

I rode a trail yesterday on my acoustic bike and there were signs posted from the USFS that the trail system was potentially going to be shutdown because of "excessive speed". It seems to me that the real concern is a disrespect for fellow trail users (all around with with hikers, bikers, and equestrian riders). I've had hikers refuse to let me past on the bike. I always ring my bike bell, slow down and stop, unless they let me through prior to stopping. We constantly see the trail lad-den with hazards that were placed there by man.

The US has a deep lack of understanding of the value of class 1 eBikes and how beneficial they are, especially for those of us in mountain country. I rode in Sedona last week and pretty much every trail I rode on had a "no eBike AND no Assist" sign attached to the trail marker. Heard all the arguments and none of them hold water why Class 1 should not be permitted on trails authorized for bikes. Since having Covid my oxygen levels have been low and my working heart rate has been higher than pre-Covid. Maybe I can get the doc's "prescription" for an eBike and get a pass for a few of the trails that allow as much...

If the USFS wanted to get rid of the grumbling from hikers they would threaten to take away their privileges by saying, "okay hikers get odd calendar days, and bikers get even". See how they like being refused access to tax payers land, not to mention the trail builders in my area are primarily mountain bikers. The hikers get the benefit of using "our" trails.

Let's hope that USFS listens to all the lobby groups, but most importantly takes a look at how the rest of the world is handling eBikes.

Cheers :rolleyes:

I know you didn't specify if you rode your ebike in Sedona, but if you did you're a brave man. I try to drive up there from Tucson every couple months for riding but I wouldn't even dare bring my ebike into the town of Sedona. They absolutely despise ebikes there, talking to locals you would think they're the end of the world. Over a year ago I was riding on Templeton trail and there was a group of bicyclists stopped near the very end of the trail where it descends down into Oak Creek area and there where two older women standing next to their ebikes getting berated by a group of 6 or so college aged dudes about how they're destroying the trails. The 2 women where visibly uncomfortable and seemed scared. These guys didn't realize how threatening they where being while going off on both of them, I rolled up and did my best to defuse the situation and everyone went their separate ways. But that is just one of the several ebike related stories I have about Sedona.

I'm not saying the women where in the right but what I am trying to say is they really do not take kindly to ebikes in Sedona and Arizona as a whole unfortunately. I've only had a couple run-ins with "ebike police" here in Tucson, but they didn't have a foot to stand on since I was riding on trails where they're legal, even though I would show proof on my phone how they're legal on said trail, it really didn't seem to matter to them. It is really frustrating not being able to ride on all the same trails but there is not much we can do about it other than voice our opinion when we can. It makes thing worse when you get caught with you ebike on a trail that they're not allowed on. It is my dream someday I can take my ebike up to the top of Mt Lemmon (just leave it off) and ride all the way down and shuttle back up the main road myself at that point with the help of the ebike assistance without having to organize a shuttle with friends.

RobertR

Jun 11, 2020
Usa
1 in 3 bikes sold globally are now eBikes.

Class 1 don’t go any faster downhill than an acoustic mtb.

Class 1 don’t “peel out” that would be a class 2 with throttle so no more trial damage by eMTBs than acoustics.

EMTBs are consistent uphill and over total ride time. We don’t have to stop as often to get heart rate down at top of climb (healthier for the heart). Acoustics hate that fact. That is really the #1 reason against Class 1s I feel.

Trial funding is/was a big issue. However being allowed on forest trials is just the beginning for access to all trials.

New generation ALL love eMTBs. So time is on our side.

I would really like to hear logical reasons to not allow Class 1s.
I speak with a local trial organization that are against class 1s and they all say because of the speed. They can’t understand going downhill is any faster per say.

Again, all trials are handicap accessible. They cannot deny that right.
They can’t ask you to provide medical
proof because of privacy laws (HIPPA).

So just say I’m handicap to ANYONE that says anything negative to you. Then ask them if they want to ride your bike. :)

Trust me, it works every time and they never question you again when you see them. Actually, they act embarrassed. :)

Go ride, stop listening to the vocal minority, have fun. ✌️

Nov 21, 2020
Tucson, AZ
I would really like to hear logical reasons to not allow Class 1s.
I speak with a local trial organization that are against class 1s and they all say because of the speed. They can’t understand going downhill is any faster per say.

There really are no super compelling reasons for not allowing class 1s on any trails IMO I 100% agree (minus one small potential issue I could see happening, I will address this in a bit). It is this blind ignorance or simple misinformation that is so ingrained into the mentality of those who despise ebikes that they fail to see reason. The main issues I see locally by riders that know nothing about ebikes and have never rode them; they all seem to think they're just like a lightweight dirt bike with an electric motor. Because they know nothing of the different classes of ebike.

They all mostly assume that they have a throttle and go do 45mph+ like a dirt bike. I always make a point to explain that CLASS 1 ebikes should be allowed on all trails regular bikes area allowed on because they only offer assistance when pedaling and they possess no throttle! I also stress that this is the class of ebike that mostly all ebike advocates are fighting for equal trail usage on, not the ones with throttles that can power you along without you putting in any effort. I strongly suggest anytime you find yourself the opportunity to explain these things with our fellow cyclists that are not familiar with ebikes, because this is much better than causing confrontation and more resentment against the ebike community which may jeopardize or future legal access to trails, as well as others.

Coming back to the potential issue I mentioned earlier... if we eventually get CLASS 1 ebikes permitted on all trails that traditional bikes are allowed we would run into the issue of people riding different classes of ebike or modified class 1 ebikes on those trails which could put the whole thing in jeopardy again. However, I think these potential people will like do these things regardless of whether class 1s are allowed or not so maybe it is a moot point. I personally feel the biggest issue with trail use as it stands is a lack of trail etiquette. It happens with all users of trails. Hikers with earphones in, ignorant to their surrounding, regular mountain bikers trying to top the Strava charts blowing by you going down a hill 30+mph. I could go on but my point is that if we can all work together to share the trails like civilized people it would be better for all.

Speaking as someone in the US examining the happenings with ebikes in Europe, I sincerely hope the US adapts more of the mentality that Europe seems to have and starts embracing and supporting ebikes more. Thanks for reading my rant. Happy trails.

Gyre

Jan 25, 2021
Pasadena, CA
They all mostly assume that they have a throttle and go do 45mph+ like a dirt bike.
Not true. The logic they apply is totally reductionist: Motor + bike = Motorbike. After that there's no reasoning to be had and the only avenue that might prove persuasive isn't words but a test ride. Some will immediately get it and others will double down.

lokbot

Jan 26, 2021
Oregon
I live in Bend OR and we have a bunch of fitness fascists that are anti eMTB. I agree with the fact that there are a bunch of people with a superiority complex that look down on others for recreating in a way that's different to them. I think JKW hit the nail on the head that the protestant work ethic is a major root of the anti-emtb sentiment. If you're not working hard you're sinning.

Banning eMTB because there is an antiquated no motorized vehicle law is against the spirit of the law. It wasn't intended to restrict low power bikes that can go the same speed as an elite athlete.

The argument that eMTB users will over use trails by lapping them doesn't make sense. Younger people with more free time can put in significantly more miles on trails than someone else with higher work and family obligations. I'm a nurse and work 12 hour over night shifts. An eMTB is the only way I could get a ride in during my work week.

If there's a problem with people going uphill too fast then we should ban xc hard tails that are climbing machines. They pass other riders while climbing trails all day long.

I ride an analog bike with friends and an eMTB when I'm out by myself. The eMTB gets me out on more rides that I wouldn't have time for because I'm busy saving lives and taking care of my family.

I think that everyone needs to ride within their comfort level. If you don't like breaking rules then don't ride where there are restrictions. If you think the rules are bullshit and you want to go forth and be a positive eMTB advocate then by all means get out and ride.

I don't plan on waiting for bureaucrats to make changes that are are more inclusive of safe outdoor recreation.

lokbot

Jan 26, 2021
Oregon
Ugh I'd cut my own head off before I became a subject of the British empire. Your rock climbing is weak, your weather sucks, your food is whack (except for the food from other cultures). Yeah you've got free healthcare, but it sucks ass and is over stretched. Your nurses are drastically under paid. You're over taxed. Yes you have paid holiday, but that's because your country sucks and people would die if they couldn't get away for a month a year. The only thing England has going for it is it's proximity to the rest of Europe.

If the US is shit tip the UK is a whole turd.

lokbot

Jan 26, 2021
Oregon
Yeah our gun violence is some bullshit. Wish we didn't have such a cultural devide causing half of the country to panic any time there's proposed reasonable gun control laws that are passed.

Not to say our for profit health system is any better. The places in the US with the best health outcomes have nursing unions and well paid nurses. There is a huge disparity in healthcare regionally in the US.

You can ride your eMTB where ever you want. So can I. I just don't give a fuck what some fitness cunt has to say if I pass them. There's literally no enforcement for eMTB use. If that was the situation in the UK y'all would have cameras taking pictures and getting fines in the mail.

Cheers

InRustWeTrust

E*POWAH Master
Mar 9, 2020
Sweden
Yeah our gun violence is some bullshit. Wish we didn't have such a cultural devide causing half of the country to panic any time there's proposed reasonable gun control laws that are passed.

Not to say our for profit health system is any better. The places in the US with the best health outcomes have nursing unions and well paid nurses. There is a huge disparity in healthcare regionally in the US.

You can ride your eMTB where ever you want. So can I. I just don't give a fuck what some fitness cunt has to say if I pass them. There's literally no enforcement for eMTB use. If that was the situation in the UK y'all would have cameras taking pictures and getting fines in the mail.

Cheers

Do Americans even ride the expensive bikes they buy? , maybe to mcdonalds back and forth but no more.

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
I'm an American and I ride my expensive emtb's...quite a lot...and never to MacDonald's. In fact, I don't even ride a bike on the road...woods singletrack only. And America most definitely is not a shit hole. Anyone who thinks this is literally, by definition, a friggin moron.

lokbot

Jan 26, 2021
Oregon
Do Americans even ride the expensive bikes they buy? , maybe to mcdonalds back and forth but no more.
That comment makes no sense at all. Have you seen any videos of Moab, Sedona, Bellingham, Bend, Tahoe, etc. Any of the destination riding locations. The Pacific Northwest has some of the best freeride trails in the world.

Also the argument that a country who's MTB community has been largely anti eMTB in the previous years has a bunch of fat fucks that don't ride bikes doesn't make any sense at all. If they were fat and out of shape they'd be riding eMTB. Not to disparage eMTB riders, but it is easy enough that fat people can do it. I saw a 300 lb dude on an eMTB and he was having a blast keeping up with his friends on analog bikes.

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
I live in Bend OR and we have a bunch of fitness fascists that are anti eMTB. I agree with the fact that there are a bunch of people with a superiority complex that look down on others for recreating in a way that's different to them. I think JKW hit the nail on the head that the protestant work ethic is a major root of the anti-emtb sentiment. If you're not working hard you're sinning.

So how is it with an e in Bend or Sisters? My son and I take an annual trip up there to ride. I really enjoy the Petersen ridge trail, and we usually tour with Cog Wild. If we go this year, I'll probably rent from Cog, but would like to still go ride Petersen. You are right about the fitness jerks. People are kind, up until they aren't...

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
So, the USFS considers a class 1 emtb a motorcycle and not legal on trails? This is EXACTLY why they classify etmbs into 3 categories.

squeegee

Aug 19, 2019
USA
PA just legalized emtbs on state trails, even class 3 are legal now as long and without throttle, hopefully this will spill over to more states soon. What I see in my area is more and more acceptance of ebikes in general, things are changing.

lokbot

Jan 26, 2021
Oregon
So how is it with an e in Bend or Sisters? My son and I take an annual trip up there to ride. I really enjoy the Petersen ridge trail, and we usually tour with Cog Wild. If we go this year, I'll probably rent from Cog, but would like to still go ride Petersen. You are right about the fitness jerks. People are kind, up until they aren't...
I just got my first eMTB (black Friday deal on Levo alloy) and have only gotten two rides in before a ton a snow dumped on our winter riding spots : /.

I've been riding mtb for years

I like riding fast and hard so I'm biased towards those kind of trails.

There is some negativity towards eMTB in Bend but I feel like it's a vocal minority which are on Facebook in Bend that make it sound way more anti eMTB than it really is. They also are super embedded into COTA because they're busy bodies so expect to see plenty of no eMTB signs at trail entrances. Especially Phil's trail head and Wanoga.

I find Phil's trail system to be boring. It's a great place to take a beginner to intermediate rider who doesn't really need a challenge or speed to enjoy themselves. I think this would be the place you'd be most likely to get a scolding from an analog MTB rider. It's crowded, rich people who ride xc live near bye and like to ride from their homes to the trailhead. These are the exercise snobs that are going to care enough and have a sense of entitlement that would speak up if they saw an eMTB.

I think Peterson ridge area would be great for eMTB. I ride the loops out there on a single speed a couple times each summer (my buddy who lives near sisters only rides single speed hardtail so it makes a fun experience). Very scenic and different vibe than trail systems close to Bend. Not nearly as crowded. I can do a loop and see no one else or maybe a single group. Maybe a different experience if you're on eMTB and you're carrying along at a faster clip than other people doing the loop.

If you like big scenic loops like this the Paulina Lake loop is great.the farther away you are from Bend the less crowded it will be which may be your best bet for no negative interactions.

If you like fast, technical, jumps, etc. The Wanoga area is where it's at. I feel like the kind of rider in this area generally wouldn't care about eMTB riders unless they're acting like a tool. Like don't ride off trail to pass someone on a climb. Slow down say "hey rider can I pass when you see a good spot" and pass when it's appropriate. We don't need double track.

I'm not sure what kind of riding you like, but while we have a huge trail network it's largely green and light to medium blue trails. Maybe 10% of our trails are black diamond.

Honestly there are a ton of eMTB friendly riding destinations in Oregon that I would recommend. Off the top of my head Post Canyon in hood river, and Oakridge have some of the coolest trails in Oregon. Black Rock has gnarly freeride lines as well as cool mellower options. I don't know if Ashland allows eMTB, but their trails are lapable.

I love Bend, but I like to joke that we have the okayest mtb trails in Oregon.

I don't know if any shops that rent eMTB in town. Plenty of shops sell them though.

JStrube

Sep 15, 2022
Atwater, CA
I'm 55, and never really was a jumper even 30 years ago. My son is 26, and loves the air time. I mostly like to get out, off the road, and be in the forest. I like to ride at a good clip, enjoy some technical stuff, and small air. Since my 30's, I have not been able to climb very well, I have an extra half heartbeat, and take a beta blocker to keep it in check. Riding my Canyon Spectral, I would do fine on Peterson, did the bottom half of the McKenzie River trail fine, but the top half was too rocky for my skills.

We love to come up, ride a couple days, and drink beer... Always a positive experience. Trying to get more fitness back this year. at 49, I rode 5000 road miles, but the next year, only rode 500. that was a fitness killer, but the roads are less safe, and the group had an accident, where a large majority quit riding. I do have a nice gravel road to ride, and a small steel MTB park about a half hour away that I cannot climb, so hopefully, I get quite a few more miles in this year on my new Heckler... Which should show up next week...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles