What are the bad points

Mike F

Aug 22, 2018
Auckland New Zealand
To me a bad point is the fact that batteries cannot be taken on planes with a bike.

The other is a manufacturer issue. Why do they not have smaller batteries for smaller rides or what I really want is a range extender in addition to the main battery. A smaller battery would be easier to transport in a backpack and should be cheaper than a full size battery.
In terms of my Merida e one sixty a smaller external battery might intergrate into the frame better. ( Does not bother me however others this is a deal breaker in terms of looks)

WheelsandBoards

Dec 13, 2018
Cirencester
Very few bad points......you could argue about running costs and for sure the quantum of bills will be higher.

However, having a partner who measures her clothes costs by "cost per wear" then in fact one could argue an emtb is cheaper.....not per mile (not a sensible way to measure a fun giving ebike) , per hour in the saddle.

The initial cost of the bike is high but will likely be diluted by so many more fun hours riding.....

Until recently I had the full on 2018 Capra CF Pro Race.....£5k of dream bike that spent far too much time in the garage. Crazy really a bike that was getting too little use and just devaluing. Now replaced by an ebike......an exponential growth in riding time. If I really want an uplift day at BPW I"LL hire a DH Rig.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
To me a bad point is the fact that batteries cannot be taken on planes with a bike.

....................)

What! I did not know that. I have no current plans to take an emtb on board a plane, but I might do in the future if the emtb does me as much good as I hope.

Is it true then; battery+bike = no fly?

Does it just apply to bikes going in the hold? What about putting the battery in your hand luggage? And what about batteries that are integrated into the frame? I guess that means no holidays abroad for my Focus then! :eek:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Haha... don't you just love forums?
You answer a simple question honestly from your own perspective and you'll get lots of folk disagreeing, trying to disprove you and possibly a wee character assasination from someone who's never met you..
What are the bad points or pitfalls of owning and riding a EMtb ?

THERE ARE NO DOWNSIDES AT ALL TO OWNING AN EMTB... infact they've pretty much eradicated all disease and brought about world peace.

Don't even try to argue with the above FACT I can prove it by quoting a random heartrate and a cool story or two.

Last edited:

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
Some of the downsides I'd consider to be universal:

Cost
Increased complexity
Weight
Flexibility of build

Others, like the fitness aspect, will depend on specific rider and use. For example, a downside of road bikes for me is that road riding is a bit dull! Not due to the bike, just I'd rather be off road.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
a downside of road bikes for me is that road riding is a bit dull! Not due to the bike, just I'd rather be off road.
Funny thing about that is that it's what you make of it rather than the actual bike/biking type. eg. That feeling of breaking 50mph on tarmac riding a 18lb roadbike with 25mm tyres dressed in a slither of lycra and no helmet isn't what I'd ever consider dull whereas mile after mile of featureless bridle way even on an Emtb can become dull very quickly for me.

Couchy

Nov 15, 2018
Nottingham
I like the additional speed an emtb gives me on technical trails over a normal bike, I only ride to get an adrenalin buzz and ebike plus trying 100% does that and gives me the extra speed over a normal bike and trying 100%. I’m always knackered after a ride as I put in as much effort as I can. It is a bonus on a day when I’m already tired to still be able to go out and have a good ride too.

For me there are no downsides, I’ve come to this from racing and trackdaying motorbikes and it costs pennies in comparison ?

Northumbrian

Sep 3, 2018
Rothbury
Just hit the big “6 O” , still love my no assist MTB,s, but find that the e- bike doesn’t kill me after a decent ride ( Knees in particular).
Basically, like others say allows quicker recovery, so you get out more often.

Sion

Dec 23, 2018
Mold
The only downside I see is the flat battery fear. Ebikes are better in every situation for the average rider.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Haha... don't you just love forums?
You answer a simple question honestly from your own perspective and you'll get lots of folk disagreeing, trying to disprove you and possibly a wee character assasination from someone who's never met you..

THERE ARE NO DOWNSIDES AT ALL TO OWNING AN EMTB... infact they've pretty much eradicated all disease and brought about world peace.

Don't even try to argue with the above FACT I can prove it by quoting a random heartrate and a cool story or two.
Shit, sounds like we need a thread to discuss the bad points and pitfalls of forums.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks MattyB. that was really helpful, if bad news.

It is even worse news for all those with an integrated battery like the Focus Jam2 I'll be getting before too long. Yes the battery will come out but it will be a bike shop job at each end for me.

Anyway, I don't know why I'm bothered I've never taken my clockwork bike on a plane so I am unlikely to take an emtb. I'll do what I did before, either rent one or take it in the car.

Moots YBB

Dec 18, 2018
Brussels
the worst about them is that u want to ride them every day, even when the weather isnt appropriate, yesterday i had sand in my eyes and even between my teeth, and wet shoes, and i still did 70 kilometers., alos bad is that i cant talk about anything else anymore.

m1kks

Dec 24, 2018
Fife
The worst thing i have found is the cleaning and maintenance has to be done everytime and carefully, but that said i am getting into a good routine with that now.
I have also got the battery fear, got home yesterday with 1km left. It was a great run 2500ft of climbing and descending. My fitness is getting better, I am losing weight, but then I cycle in the lowest mode I can.

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
For me the bad side of owning one is the running costs. I will be alternating cheaper chains to save money and run the cassette and chainring down till they die effectively. 2019 will probably bring around 10k miles on the Levo so will be able to give a better perspective running costs by 2020 :)

Another downside, similar to electric cars, "adding miles" takes time in the sense that you need to wait for the battery to charge. That makes it a little tricky for me some days when I commute as I do require two full charges if i want to ride back on 30% the whole way. I normally use 10% for all journeys and I like that a lot!

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
As others have said it does wear standard chains and cassettes faster than an analogue bike. My bike shop says they reccomend a cassette every two chains. Don’t forget a bike shop usually always recommend changing parts.

With regards to the battery issue on flights I’m going to take it off and post it to the hotel but then by the time I’ve done that and paid for the bike on the flight it’s upwards of £250 which is about the cost of renting one locally..Either that or rent a camper and do a bit of a tour of Spain..

I’ve had a few tech issues in the past and if it’s anything motor related it usually has to go back which is a faff but it’s not frequent and for the fun I have on it I don’t begrudge it.

You can now get beefed up ebike chains and out on a heavier cassette since we aren’t trying to save 20grams :)

Of course anything for an eBike now attracts a premium price..

I wouldn’t say you get fitter over the same distance, it all depends on so many variables. I get out more often in crappier weather and have more fun. Win/Win.

The positives far outweigh the negatives.

Last edited:

Sco Pau

Jan 3, 2019
San Jose/Marina CA
After 4 years of owning my first eBike a 2014 Haibike Xduro AMT RX There is no negative that outweighs what positives these bikes bring. You almost get addicted where you put aside other needs to go out and ride. Kinda like a ski bum or dedicated golfer thinking of nothing else they would rather do. And those 2 sports thrive only because of the comfy chairlift and cushy golf cart. I'm in better shape because of constant riding at various fitness levels, become an even better rider and explored parts of our huge local parks that I could not achieve with my organic mtn bike. The future is here and it rocks!

Demo first b4 buying....

Moots YBB

Dec 18, 2018
Brussels
a bad side is that everything is so small now, my local forest for example. i can leave home (brussels) at noon, and be in antwerp in time for a late lunch ! (easely over 30 kmh average)

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
Speaking as one of the older at 57years (and fatter at 116kg) guys. I find the ebike so much more fun that I have basically trebled my riding over the last three months since I bought it. I quite simply feel more motivated to ride more often and further as its so much more fun. So yes I am getting fitter. That's just me though. 76kms with 1400m of climbing this morning. What a blast.
Good on ya mate! In 2003 aged 57, I had a heart attack. Diagnosed with a hereditary condition called Coronary Artery Disease (CAD). Have always kept reasonably fit since I can remember. Had another angiogram two years ago and told heart arteries had deteriorated so much there was nothing more that could be done other than aggressive medication. The rest was up to me. No more riding the hills unless I got an e-mtb he said. I gave my Scott Spark 20 to my son-in-law and purchased a brand new Giant Trance e-mtb +1 pro. Haven't had so much fun since my rugby days and can't wait to get out on the trails. Cardiologist has now told me, if I keep doing whatever I am doing. I will probably die with my CAD, rather than die from it. Ride 3 days a week now. Would ride more, but rugby playing grandsons keep me busy. Now ride with a small group of similar age ( 65 up to 83 years old) e-mtb'ers, and we have a blast.
Impressed with your 76kms/1400 metres climb. Keep it up, and depending on your reliance on your motor, the weight will soon start dropping off you. We still need to watch our food and alcohol intake though. Best of luck.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles