What’s this worth?

Scapel24

Jan 13, 2019
New Zealand
Hello, my dads wanting to sell his emtb (he’s buying a new one) but not sure how much to ask for it. I have no idea what it’s worth so I’d thought id ask the experts. He said it’s a 2014, not sure of the Km’s but I’ll find out. It hasn’t had a hard life as he’s 70. Any help would be greatly appreciated ??
FBBC31C2-6C5F-4802-9C2F-3D15039F88E8.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have only had an emtb a few weeks and I have never sold one, so I have no expertise to offer re second hand emtbs. But I have sold a fair few clockwork bikes and how different can it be? If they are in demand you'll get a better price, otherwise not.

Assuming it is in very good condition, I'd start by taking 30% per year off the new price (not the price your Dad paid for it). And that includes any upgrades that you've done. If you have had the suspension serviced and have proof, or any servicing in fact, then say so in your advert. You have to do your best to remove any doubts that the buyer may have about the bike. I'd guess they will be about the battery and the motor in addition to the usual suspension condition and frame cracking concerns.

Then you could go to where bikes are normally sold (eBay, Pink Bike Classifieds....) and see what bikes like that are selling for. Compare detail differences, compare prices.

Personally, I would only sell cash on collection. There are too many scammers out there!

Best of luck, selling a much loved bike for what feels like washers is heartbreaking! :(

dirt huffer

E*POWAH Master
Dec 3, 2018
Minneapolis
At that age it could need a new battery, suspension bearings, suspension rebuild, motor rebuild, drivetrain gone through, brake pads. If he rode it regularly, these are all wear items that should be inspected and factored in

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
At that age it could need a new battery, suspension bearings, suspension rebuild, motor rebuild, drivetrain gone through, brake pads. If he rode it regularly, these are all wear items that should be inspected and factored in
Agreed. Based on that I doubt you will find anyone willing to pay more than 15-20% of the new asking price for it.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
If its been looked after, which it appears it has, although its quite old by EMTB standards, still a well specced ride for someone looking to doing similar riding that your dad does, so I reckon you could probably get £1500 or so for it? Problem is that because the tech moves so fast and most people want the latest bikes, its very hard to tell the value of older EMTB's

Scapel24

Jan 13, 2019
New Zealand
Thanks guys, i appreciate the advice. It’s quite well looked after and I’ve serviced it for him quite regularly (used to work in a bike shop) I’m quite new to the whole emtb thing and am learning a lot with thanks to this forum! I’ll let you know how we get on ??

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles