Wet chain lube price ?

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
I am not one for penny pinching, im to lazy to persavear checking out discount codes and other faff associated with saving a few pennies, probably the reason I'm always skint but hey ho, I still servive.

After applying some muc off wet lube to my chain I became convinced it smells just like general gear oil, its well known in the motorcycle world gear oil is widely accepted as a good chain lube but most including me don't use it because it flings like hell, hence I use spray on chain lubes on my bikes.

A push bike is a different machine though , gear oil for me now on, £10 for a litre or cheaper oils are available from a fiver. £6.50 for 120ml of muc off gear oil :( I will use there bottle but just refill it from my infinite supply of cheap gear oil from now on.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but im guessing most wet lube mtb chain oil is gear oil, if it isn't then you wont go far wrong with gear oil, there is also the fact to consider I may be years out of date and every body apart from me has already discovered this information and is happy in the knowledge idiots like me are paying £6 plus for 120ml of wet lube for there push bike :oops:

fisha

Feb 17, 2020
Scotland
I guess it depends how precious you are about your chain.

In short though, anything is better than nothing... So gear oil will be fine.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Gear oil is generally a stickier oil and as such and attracts crap more.

for years I used 79p multi oil from the supermarket mixed with a tiny amount of GT85/WD40 etc.
the GT/WD breaks down the thicker oil and stops it being so sticky.

what's more important is how you look after/clean your drivetrain.
ie. Don't overlube, or run dry, keep it as clean as you can and never let gunk build up

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I tried SRG75 once. Out for a wet, muddy ride and the chain was as dry as a witches tit after a few miles. Not recommended.
I've tried MucOff, wet and dry, Squirt, Finishline and others I can't remember. Now I'm a Putolene wanker. The only downsides so far are the high initial set-up costs and the lack of rust-proofing on the outside of the chain.

fisha

Feb 17, 2020
Scotland
I was just going to say the same ! ... thats whats sitting in my bike parts basket ... its cheap n cheerful, but works great.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles