Well this is going to be an interesting wait...

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Heard from my LBS this morning to say that my new Jam2 is expected to be delivered either today or Monday/Tuesday next week.

Heard from Focus is Stuttgart to say that they are very sorry but my bike (ordered in September) is not scheduled to be built until the beginning of March 2020.

So, by Wednesday next week, I will either be the possessor of a new Jam2. Or be thumping the desk in my LBS demanding my deposit back. Hmmm... (What's the "finger tapping/impatient" emoji?)

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Sounds like someone lacks focus...

Onto the 3d square waiting list ?

Well that's the dumb thing: when I have a look around the German discounters' websites, like bike-discount.de, they've got the Cubes in stock for immediate delivery. They've also got the Focus in stock with a delivery of 5 working days. It seems to me that both Cube and Focus are just stocking their German dealer network and can't really be bothered with shipping costs to the edges of the continent.

If my bike doesn't turn up next week, then I'll do an order from bike-discount.de for delivery at my cousin's place in Duisburg. I think that's what I should have done in the first place - it's cheaper, too, even given the 3 day drive to get there. :mad:

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
I would cancel too, I like my Jam2 and was considering ordering the new model with the bigger battery but from what I see now I think I should be looking for a different brand.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Maybe I should change the title to "Keep On Hangin' On"...

I was fully expecting to go into the LBS tomorrow morning and get my deposit back. I'd then decide whether to buy a Cube or a Focus mail order directly from Germany (delivery 3 to 5 days with all models of my size currently in stock).

However, late this afternoon I got a screenshot on Whatsapp from the LBS showing that my bike has just been loaded onto a truck by Focus.

So, now we wait to see whether it appears at the end of this week.... or not.... :mad:

Beanz23!

Oct 22, 2019
Kent
Well that's the dumb thing: when I have a look around the German discounters' websites, like bike-discount.de, they've got the Cubes in stock for immediate delivery. They've also got the Focus in stock with a delivery of 5 working days. It seems to me that both Cube and Focus are just stocking their German dealer network and can't really be bothered with shipping costs to the edges of the continent.

If my bike doesn't turn up next week, then I'll do an order from bike-discount.de for delivery at my cousin's place in Duisburg. I think that's what I should have done in the first place - it's cheaper, too, even given the 3 day drive to get there. :mad:

I ordered my Jam2 (2019 model) in November from Bike-discount.de - super quick delivery would use them again. Not sure that helps your situation but thought i would add it ;)

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
And then, suddenly, out of the blue, at midday today I got a phone call to say that the bike had just arrived at the shop and would be ready to pick up a 5 o'clock. I was there at 1 minute past 5...

20200115_174706.jpg

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I ordered my Jam2 (2019 model) in November from Bike-discount.de - super quick delivery would use them again. Not sure that helps your situation but thought i would add it ;)

That would be the Shimano motor? The heartache seems to be with the Bosch Gen 4 motor. Focus seem to be feeding their local suppliers (including bike-discount.de) first and drip feeding the Bosch motored bikes to their dealers outside Germany. The waiting times are extreme.

Had I realised the problems, I'd have bought from bike-discount.de and got the bike at least 6 weeks earlier - and with less aggravation. The lasses on the phone helpline are really lovely (I speak fluent German) but each time they couldn't find the order. Then said there was no order. And so it went on. Interestingly I wanted the colour that has finally been delivered but we could only order the black one here in Spain and the girls told me on the phone that a black one was definitely being delivered... :rolleyes:

Sijmes

Sep 22, 2018
Netherlands
Netherlands here, I ordered my Jam2 "Bosch" via bikecomponents.de on the 27th of Dec allowing for a 20 day delivery time. Latest mail informs me that my bike will now arrive on the 27th of Feb. Don't want to sound dramatic but the wait is killing.... My only consolation is that the price went up by 500 euro a week later ?

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Netherlands here, I ordered my Jam2 "Bosch" via bikecomponents.de on the 27th of Dec allowing for a 20 day delivery time. Latest mail informs me that my bike will now arrive on the 27th of Feb. Don't want to sound dramatic but the wait is killing.... My only consolation is that the price went up by 500 euro a week later ?

I know exactly what you mean. That wait is killing - especially as you get to the appointed day and it suddenly goes out another few weeks again. :mad:

A German friend of mine did ask me to be understanding with Focus. His view is that it is a small company run by bike enthusiasts and so there are always going to be scheduling problems.

I have to say that whenever I phoned them, the staff were lovely to speak to and I ended up forgiving them for the hassles. I'm loving riding the bike - done around 800km on it so far since Jan 15th.

Sijmes

Sep 22, 2018
Netherlands

DHL despatched my bike today, expect it here tomorrow. That's 6 days ahead of schedule ???

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
Did the shop swap the tyres our or did it come with those? Supposed to be tan walls?

I ordered mine from bikediscount.de on Monday, it got to UK last night, should be delivered tomorrow, Can’t wait!

Sijmes

Sep 22, 2018
Netherlands
Did the shop swap the tyres our or did it come with those? Supposed to be tan walls?

I ordered mine from bikediscount.de on Monday, it got to UK last night, should be delivered tomorrow, Can’t wait!
If I'm right it's the 6.8 with Fox suspension that gets the tan walls. The lower models get "plain" black and Rockshox. (Wink wink ?) Fingers crossed for a delivery tomorrow then. We get the weekend to build it up and dial it in.... Weathers shite here atm ?

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
If I'm right it's the 6.8 with Fox suspension that gets the tan walls. The lower models get "plain" black and Rockshox. (Wink wink ?) Fingers crossed for a delivery tomorrow then. We get the weekend to build it up and dial it in.... Weathers shite here atm ?

Correct: mine (6.7) has the plain black and Rockshox.

Reactions: MsO

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
Thanks! Mine seems to be stuck in DHL Greenford with a note saying “delivery only by appointment”. I’m guessing I’ll have to wait for a letter with a code to arrange delivery [crying emoji]

Could someone measure their wheelbase?
Its not clear from the geo charts whether the wheelbase is measured when the rear axel is in its high/long or short/low position. The geo charts are wrong because it says 427mm chainstays for the 29 version but reviews say that is the 27.5 wheel setting and chainstays are 455mm for 29 setting.

I also noticed that they have their own silly headset - ZS56-56 which means no anglesets will fit grrrrr.

Ohhhh hurry up DHL!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Interesting?

Under the trades description act I demand my time back!

#firstworldproblems #stampyfeettoddler

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
Well now its going to be me who has an interesting wait. My 6.7 arrived today, 6 days to get here from Germany. And they have sent me the wrong size and colour! Got a wait a week for it to get back to them. Then another week for a new one to get to me!

I guess thats what you have to put up with by saving £650 from buying in UK!

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Well now its going to be me who has an interesting wait. My 6.7 arrived today, 6 days to get here from Germany. And they have sent me the wrong size and colour! Got a wait a week for it to get back to them. Then another week for a new one to get to me!

I guess thats what you have to put up with by saving £650 from buying in UK!

That's a bummer. Wrong colour I could live with. But wrong size :eek:

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
That's a bummer. Wrong colour I could live with. But wrong size :eek:

My story has twists and turns. So because the colour was wrong, I checked the size sticker on the bike without taking it out of the box. It said medium. Sticker on the box said large. Assumed that they’d put the wrong bike in the box at the factory, hence the mistake. Anyway return arranged, it would take a week to get back to them and they said they had no way of holding one in stock for me(!). Thought I would double check size, measured the head tube.... 130mm.... measured the wheelbase 1245.... turns out I did have a large, and they had put the wrong sticker on the bike! Speaking to Bike Discount, they said I had ordered a blue. Receipt says blue. So colour is either my or website error, and size was just a wrong sticker....

I am a happy man! Pumped up the tyres, it round the patio, it fits like a glove!!!!

I’m actually really liking the blue.... time to get it muddy tomorrow! Happy days!!!

Sijmes

Sep 22, 2018
Netherlands
My story has twists and turns. So because the colour was wrong, I checked the size sticker on the bike without taking it out of the box. It said medium. Sticker on the box said large. Assumed that they’d put the wrong bike in the box at the factory, hence the mistake. Anyway return arranged, it would take a week to get back to them and they said they had no way of holding one in stock for me(!). Thought I would double check size, measured the head tube.... 130mm.... measured the wheelbase 1245.... turns out I did have a large, and they had put the wrong sticker on the bike! Speaking to Bike Discount, they said I had ordered a blue. Receipt says blue. So colour is either my or website error, and size was just a wrong sticker....

I am a happy man! Pumped up the tyres, it round the patio, it fits like a glove!!!!

I’m actually really liking the blue.... time to get it muddy tomorrow! Happy days!!!
All's well that ends well then, Congrats...
I wonder what size bikes we all actually recieved, where's that tape measure... ?

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
And then the wait was over..... DHL, big box ?

View attachment 26545

View attachment 26546

Sweeet!
Bad weather here so spent the day prepping mine.
Put invisiframe on the stays and underneath, swapped the forks, stem and bars out to my stuff.

Changed the flip chip over for short chainstays / 27.5 wheels.

Cant wait to ride the thing. Round the patio the motor seems very punchy - seems quicker and faster response to the shimano motor.

Sijmes

Sep 22, 2018
Netherlands
Sweeet!
Bad weather here so spent the day prepping mine.
Put invisiframe on the stays and underneath, swapped the forks, stem and bars out to my stuff.

Changed the flip chip over for short chainstays / 27.5 wheels.

Cant wait to ride the thing. Round the patio the motor seems very punchy - seems quicker and faster response to the shimano motor.

Did you flip the chip without changing wheel size then ? Just assumed you would only do that with a wheel change. I see that they included a different brake caliper mount also for the switch.

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
Did you flip the chip without changing wheel size then ? Just assumed you would only do that with a wheel change. I see that they included a different brake caliper mount also for the switch.

Yea I want to run my 27.5 wheels (not plus).

I’ve demoed many ebikes (not the focus, mind) and my favourite by a long way was the rocky mountain altitude because of the 27.5 wheels and short chainstays. It felt most like a normal bike. Sadly i was between sizes L is too short and XL had too long top tube and seat tube. Plus its very expensive! The geo (in 27.5) of the L focus is inbetween bang on inbetween RM’s L and XL - so its a winner for me.

I want for steep natural local off piste trails in 27.5 mode. And have the versatility to run it back in 29er mode for longer, more big mountain days.

I thought it would be easy to swap between the two, but as you know, you need to flip the chips and change the brake mount, but you also need to shorten the chain. Maybe I’ll keep 2 chains - one for each position.

Last edited:

Sijmes

Sep 22, 2018
Netherlands
Yea I want to run my 27.5 wheels (not plus).

I’ve demoed many ebikes (not the focus, mind) and my favourite by a long way was the rocky mountain altitude because of the 27.5 wheels and short chainstays. It felt most like a normal bike. Sadly i was between sizes L is too short and XL had too long top tube and seat tube. Plus its very expensive! The geo (in 27.5) of the L focus is inbetween bang on inbetween RM’s L and XL - so its a winner for me.

I want for steep natural local off piste trails in 27.5 mode. And have the versatility to run it back in 29er mode for longer, more big mountain days.

I thought it would be easy to swap between the two, but as you know, you need to flip the chips and change the brake mount, but you also need to shorten the chain. Maybe I’ll keep 2 chains - one for each position.
Didn't think about the chain to be honest. Might be worth testing mullet setup then, saves flipping and chipping ??

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet

If you're running a spare set of wheels and each wheel has it's own cassette, running a cassette with a few teeth (4+) smaller largest sprocket on the 29er wheel should allow you to change wheels and keep the same length chain for each wheelbase setting.
But if you're running 2 wheelsets set-up with rotors and cassette for quick changes It's a pretty good idea to have a dedicated chain for each wheel/cassette anyway so wear rates stay the same for each.
I run 2x 27.5" wheelsets on my Eeb (1 with slicks for commuting and another with off road tyres) and each has it's own chain.

Richt20000

Jun 29, 2018
Uk
Didn't think about the chain to be honest. Might be worth testing mullet setup then, saves flipping and chipping ??

Mullet set up - If i was doing it I would try flipping the chip, otherwise the seat angle is going to get very slack. It might be ok without though.

The best mullet bikes seem to be when people take 27.5 frames and stick a 29er on the front, rather than take a 29 and put a 27.5 out back. Obviously this bike we have the best of both worlds :)

I’m just experimenting now, but if going for 2x27.5 wheels the I’m presuming I need a longer fork otherwise its going to really steepen up everything, so I’ve put a 170mm fork our front. The extra 20mm will be 15mm higher under sag. The diff in hight of flip chips is abour 15mm.... i’ll report back

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles