Weight Weenie-ing and e-Bikes

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
Weight weenie-ism has come up a lot on here recently, especially since the Levo SL came out. This short podcast is an interesting listen.

‎The BikeRadar Podcast: Tech Talk - Does weight really matter? on Apple Podcasts

I love a bit of weenie-ing about weight and have done it on most bikes I’ve ever owned, even BMXs. Some things make a lot of difference and others don’t and the podcast discusses that. There’s more EMTB content than you might expect too.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Thanks mate.
That kept me occupied nicely while I'm meant to be resting. Bit too much use of the words "possibly" and "I think" in the first half but ultimately I'd agree with most of what Seb is saying. Thing is, Seb is not really what I'd consider an all round rider. Mountainbiking for him is a little too focused on whinching up hills to ride against the clock down enduro tracks. Not a bad thing. But something to bear in mind when listenting to his thoughts.

Similarly Chris Porter just so happens to be one of the least stylish riders with such strong views on bicycle geometry and bike weight to ever grace the planet.

Interestingly. My DH bike is 35lb (very light for a DH bike). and the last time I rode it in the Alps I was actually finding it a little light/skittish, partly from coming off months of riding a 47lb Eeb. So the second day riding I experimented by adding a kilo (tool bag) under the BB. it was noticably more stable for it. A rock thrown up off the track ripped the bag clean off on the last day riding and I haven't felt the need to add any stability riding UK DH on the shorter, tighter lower speed tracks of Innerleithen.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I deinfitely find normal bikes to feel more skittish when riding one after long periods only on the EMTB. I guess it’s a because the extra weight in certain instances can be a bit of a get out of jail free card on terrain where you might get bucked around more in a normal MTB

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
I actually had some of your (and @R120’s) comments in mind when listening and thinking about weight distribution. It’s also made me think a little more about my pack weight too. I’ve been considering that a lot recently anyway due to some physical changes I have to adapt to following an operation so this gave me food for thought.

I think a more detailed analysis could focus a little more on the gyroscopic effect of bigger wheels and change of direction.

My experiments on this will have to wait until I’m out of isolation though, gah.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I once took my E- Sommet our for a ride without the battery, so it was weighing in at prob just over 19 KG, and whilst a bit of a bastard up the hills it rode really well out on the trails, and downhill.
that’s why I think that when EMTB’S are able to hit the 18kg level without having to be paired down in terms of components/power/range we will be at the sweet spot

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I once took my E- Sommet our for a ride without the battery

Haha.. I've done exactly the same with mine.

tenor.gif

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
I once took my E- Sommet our for a ride without the battery, so it was weighing in at prob just over 19 KG, and whilst a bit of a bastard up the hills it rode really well out on the trails, and downhill.
that’s why I think that when EMTB’S are able to hit the 18kg level without having to be paired down in terms of components/power/range we will be at the sweet spot

I agree, and also keeping all the weight down low which I suspect has quite a big effect on how bikes like the SL feel on the trail. The e-Sommet does seem to have that weight low down too.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Haha.. I've done exactly the same with mine.

tenor.gif
Is that "Miles with Niles" ??

I've done a couple of recent rides with the power off on the Kenevo for rehab. That might just be dumb though. What's probably more dumb is that I left the battery in, but unlike you fancy external types I'd of had to make a temporary blank from cardboard and ducktape, or a plastic bag and expanding foam .. or more hardcore .. plastic bag and concrete.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles