Weather. WTF.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I am normally fine with wet weather riding but it’s starting to really get to the point where I just can’t be arsed with it!

The last 4 weeks have been ridiculous in the U.K. and even just going out for a 1 hour ride means about another 2 hours to clean kit and bike!

Anyone else at the point of getting totally pissed off with it?!

/moan over

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Totally agree with you Rob.
I know we will be called Southern Softies, but for me it's not so much about getting wet, it's the fact that I know I am gradually ruining my bike.
Note to self, never by a new bike in winter! ?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Yup, for me the main thing is that up until a month ago you could find trails that where still riding ok, but now everything is fecked.
Haven’t been over to the Surrey Hills for a few weeks. Not holding up too well?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
the irony of us carbon framed, lithium riding environmental impacting consumers is also not lost on me ?

Paul Mac

Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Don't worry your carbon footprint makes feek all difference.
China has put more co2 in one year than the UK has since the industrial revolution in the 1800s?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I haven't bothered going over since early feb - but round me (about 15 miles away as the crow flys) even the top of the hills are a quagmire, let alone the trails - bigger issue is that the rain has washed away most of the top soil form the clay, so now getting pretty serious erosion on the trails themselves, lots of roots appearing that used to be well buried, etc etc.

Problem for me is if I am not riding the bike, I am walking the dog, and cleaning the dog takes about the same time as cleaning the bike!

cozzy

Aug 11, 2019
Hampshire UK
Im not fine with wet & never have been. My season usually stops end of October & starts March/April or so. I get no enjoyment sliding around in the slop, getting cold, wet & ruining my bike.
It does seem to have been especially bad this year though. Roll on summer.

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.

no.

& FWIW it rained all last night and this morning (Dorking) and we just had hail.

you'd be alright doing laps of Golden Birdies (aka Barry's for the newbies). pretty good use of an e actually.

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
Good to know we are having a collective shit time of it :) Hopefully spring will come early this year - and it's good to look forwards to events.

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
I've a turbo trainer set up indoors (in fact my road bike's not moved off it the last 5 years), I find a 20 minute session HIIT session on that plus some dumb bells keeps me feeling good without getting tedious. I'm also running a bit.

We just need a few dry days in a row and we'll be back out. In the meantime I'll pass.

Couple of the vids I use on my turbo (I'm incapable of grinding away in Zwift) ->

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
1 hour ride means about another 2 hours to clean kit and bike!

I thought bike gentry, such as yourself, just took their bike to Berkshire Cycles when it needs cleaning ? ;):cool:

If it makes any of you feel any better .. I'm in northern France and it's been endlessly wet for months. Probably like yourselves, today is torrential rain mixed with torrential hail with wild gales. So a bit like every other day.

Finished my fencing, so just about to stick some zee's on the back of the Kenevo and then go for a test ride .. it's just started to snow .. uhmmm ... or blizzard . with thunder. anyway, when I get back, I expect to see a positive youtube video from the new channel "Rob rides the sofa" ..

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Today ??? in the mush ??? please say yes .. I want to see another video ... if you keep this up you'll be the first guest on Rob's new, new, new, video series of "Rob rides with ....."

haha, theres no way mate, its hailing like f**k, then raining, then sunny, then hailing again, and that was only the last 5 minutes :D
I have edited some video of my local ride so ill upload this to the "old blokes" youtube channel now ! best I can do

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Is it really that bad ? Or are we just being a bunch of electric pussies ??

This is last week when I went for a plod because I couldn't be bothered going clearing any of the DH runs first as there was more crap weather due.

w1.jpg

w2.jpg

w3.jpg

w4.jpg
w5.jpg

w6.jpg

w7.jpg

w8.jpg

w9.jpg

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Every week is a new storm with a different name. The only motor sound I hear at the moment is my Dolce Gusto in turbo mode. Just ordered 3 different types of hot chocolates, Galaxy, Galaxy White and Maltesers flavours. It’s called the Mars variety pack. Sad but true ?

khorn

Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
It’s not only uk that is wet, in Denmark we have broken all wet weather records this winter and basically it has rained since last September non stop. Major parts are flooded right now and most of my local trails are closed as they are submerged. This is simply crazy, today btw is storm and heavy rain....

Karsten

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
Is it really that bad ? Or are we just being a bunch of electric pussies ??

This is last week when I went for a plod because I couldn't be bothered going clearing any of the DH runs first as there was more crap weather due.

View attachment 26781
View attachment 26782
View attachment 26783
View attachment 26784 View attachment 26785
View attachment 26786
View attachment 26787
View attachment 26788
View attachment 26789

I wish we could be electric pussies, good name for a band that!
I dont think so, depends on where you live too but some of the water here that is present all year round is now unrideable and dangerous.. other standing water is over the axles and therefore your feet and that really is just miserable, no amount of weather protection keeps that out.. then you factor in the fact that its 2 degrees here and "its a no from me"

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I am normally fine with wet weather riding but it’s starting to really get to the point where I just can’t be arsed with it!

The last 4 weeks have been ridiculous in the U.K. and even just going out for a 1 hour ride means about another 2 hours to clean kit and bike!

Anyone else at the point of getting totally pissed off with it?!

/moan over

Moan away mate.

I'm actually down AF this year. :confused:
Commuting 80-100 miles a week is starting to make me not even want to bother riding for fun at all if the weather isn't decent. It's not actually just the wet that's gettinmg me down though. The wind and cold (sleet) is way worse on the road and with too many drivers in steamed up cars becoming totally unobservant knobs it's sometimes fucking terrifying. I'd still rather ride to work than drive but I'm sort of starting to hate the Eeb ATM because of the lack of fun i'm having on it.

I dunno why you're spending so long cleaning kit though. No bike (and kit) should take 2 hours to clean. I'd recommend installing a hot water hose where ever you wash your bike and havingyour bucket/brush/rags/lube all to hand there as well. i use my hose to rinse down all my riding kit before stuffing it in the washing machine.
Probably helps I live in the middle of nowhere and can just strip off whenever I want but the the whole lot from mankyAF bike to clean, lubed and ready to ride again, wet clothes in the machine and a brew/beer to drink genuinely never takes me any longer than 10 mins.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Just ordered 3 different types of hot chocolates, Galaxy, Galaxy White and Maltesers flavours. It’s called the Mars variety pack. Sad but true ?

Eh? Yeuk!
Cadburys is the KING of hot chocolate. Made with boiling milk. none of yer hot water instant pish!
Excellent recovery drink too BTW

miPbiP

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Surrey Hills.
it's not so much that it's bad at any one time, that happens every winter, but that's it's been non-stop since late September.

actually the sun's out over the Surrey Hills right now, but don't be deceived, it's a trap.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Eh? Yeuk!
Cadburys is the KING of hot chocolate. Made with boiling milk. none of yer hot water instant pish!
Excellent recovery drink too BTW

Years since I made an Analogue choc Gary. Things have moved on. It’s all E-chocs these days ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles