Water ingress and multiple other issues on 2020 trance E+3

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Looks a decent mod. Removable so you can charge off bike I assume?

looks better than mine, but probably not much more functional...

View attachment 47717
I've been looking to use something similar around the inside of the frame that will protrude up inside the ridged part of the battery case; an internal splash guard of sorts but it would still let water drain out should it get submerged.

Apl259

Dec 21, 2020
UK
Just following this topic and I realise now why my Bike is back at Giant for the 3rd time in 2 months... it looks like the design is not fit for purpose at all. I have a Trance E+1 Pro and it makes be frustrated that we pay what is a large prices for poor electrics on a bike. I work on the outdoor lighting industry and resins and IP68 connectors are our best friend. The JST connectors are automotive grade but just cant handle a soaking despite the IP67 rating. Poor cable bend radius seems to be the enemy of the Giant design and crap gasket materials. I am following the threads thinking I need to make some mods or at least get a Neoprene sleeve and stop washing my bike like the video suggests. Looks like I will be bunging up gaps and adding silicone sponge gasket tapes to help seal up battery parts and using self amalgamating tapes... really is poor design from a big name in the industry !

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
Welcome to the frustration of owning one of the most capable yet unreliable EMTB’s on earth.

Still love the damn thing!!
My -15 RCOne arrived today.

Will be waterproofed and installed ready for my Christmas day visit to the swamp that is Gisburn! ???

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Welcome to the frustration of owning one of the most capable yet unreliable EMTB’s on earth.

Still love the damn thing!!
My -15 RCOne arrived today.

Will be waterproofed and installed ready for my Christmas day visit to the swamp that is Gisburn! ???
Gisburn a swamp?
You need to come and have a go on our moorland!
Bring your snorkel. ?

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
I just thought I'd post pictures of what is in my bottom case now, if anyone is interested?
The power connector, suitably wrapped.

16109088204315761139630909756832.jpg

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
And a loop of the speed sensor wire on its way to the seat tube.

The cream coloured hose is abrasion resistance sleeve inside clear shrink wrap over the brake hose.

The other skinny black one is the shift cable, which may be deleted shortly if I commit to the AXS rear mech.

16109089558598984254914866978128.jpg

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
I've drilled a hole in the chainring to allow access to the inconveniently placed Allen screw holding the cover on too.
For some reason mine has a 36T which covers the screw but the wife's bike has a 38T with a more 'open' design and the screw is accessible on hers.

16109098907086815778328307484479.jpg

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
On that note, it seems GIANT shops are all now doing something too. Retrofitting those little seals.

B991D986-61C6-4E8E-BD40-7E774A2F202C.jpeg

I’ve had one on order since discovering it on here about a month ago.

No joy... shop is blaming brexit for shipping delays!! If I could find out the bloody part number i could try further afield!

Last edited:

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
On that note, it seems GIANT shops are all now doing something too. Retrofitting those little seals.

View attachment 50319

I’ve had one on order since discovering it on here about a month ago.

No joy... Blaming brexit for shopping delays!!
If I could find out the bloody part number i could try further afield!
I'm owed a favour by my LBS, I can grab one from them and post it to you if you want? Assuming that they still have some, they had loads when I got the new battery for the wife's.
I've not bothered fitting one to mine, half expecting to be fitting a fresh battery sooner or later anyway with it having been playing up on and off.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Got a downtube jacket and fitted some eyelets into it so I can pass it over the bottle cage mounting mushrooms. I have my lights (Hope R8+) battery fixed to the bottle cage. Just thought it might be of interest to anyone trying to keep the water and crap out and some heat in the battery in the cold weather to improve the range.
IMG_20210126_175701.jpg

Gordo73

Jan 29, 2021
Scotland
So here’s a question, having just ordered a 2020 Pro 0 should I consider cancelling it and hunt for the 2021 Pro 1 in my size? It’s a lot of money for a bike that’s to be used all year round in Scotland but doesn’t like water.

Have these issues been addressed in the 2021 Trance?

Cheers

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
So here’s a question, having just ordered a 2020 Pro 0 should I consider cancelling it and hunt for the 2021 Pro 1 in my size? It’s a lot of money for a bike that’s to be used all year round in Scotland but doesn’t like water.

Have these issues been addressed in the 2021 Trance?

Cheers
The design of the '21 bike is certainly improved in many areas so, unless you're getting a massive discount on the '20 bike, you're probably better off with the newer one, assuming that you can actually get hold of one. Looking at the build spec, the newer bike looks better spec'ed to me in respect of brakes and gears, but has heavier rims and crank.
I'd be happier with the later spec because the SRAM Code-R brakes on my 2020 bike were absolutely shit and the SRAM X01 Eagle derailleurs are well known for having up-shifting issues because the return spring stretches and no longer has the strength to pull the cable back from the lever so the gears 'hang' when up-shifting.
I fitted Magura MT7 brakes to my 2020 bike and they are night and day better than the SRAMs it came with, and I've fitted a second, smaller diameter, concentric spring inside the main return spring to fix the shifting issues (a right bastard job to do).

I doubt that you'll have either of those issues with Shimano kit.

In any case, knowing what I know now, I'd still strip the wiring and waterproof it properly, or get the shop to do it if you're not confident doing it yourself.

Good luck.

Joeri

May 13, 2018
Almere-stad, the netherlands
Owned a Giant reign e + 1 pro for 8 months. He is now back to the LBS for the second time. Lots of moisture problems. new motor and new electric cables and new controller. Everything new and a new battery next week. I am not at all happy with Giant's service. Front fork has also been replaced.
Can't remember my Levo was that bad. Giant says it depends on the Dutch climate. I think it's special that Giant take his stand.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Owned a Giant reign e + 1 pro for 8 months. He is now back to the LBS for the second time. Lots of moisture problems. new motor and new electric cables and new controller. Everything new and a new battery next week. I am not at all happy with Giant's service. Front fork has also been replaced.
Can't remember my Levo was that bad. Giant says it depends on the Dutch climate. I think it's special that Giant take his stand.
I suppose luck has something to do with it.
Yes, I've completely reworked the wiring on my trance but I did that of my own accord because the LBS were always fixing water ingress problems on other bikes, and yes I have a problem with my battery which I'm working around, BUT, my neighbour has a Levo and just about every part has been replaced. He is very happy with their customer service however, and I do know that Giant are pretty poor in that regard.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Got a downtube jacket and fitted some eyelets into it so I can pass it over the bottle cage mounting mushrooms. I have my lights (Hope R8+) battery fixed to the bottle cage. Just thought it might be of interest to anyone trying to keep the water and crap out and some heat in the battery in the cold weather to improve the range. View attachment 51176
Just a little update on the battery jacket after trying in the cold today. It very definitely improved the battery life. After 14+ miles with 1500 feet of climbing, quite a bit of it with the boost up, it just dropped down to three blobs of battery at the very end of the ride.
A similar ride in the same temps previously would have definitely had it down to two blobs, maybe even one, with that sort of riding and assistance.
An added bonus was that when I took the battery off to blow out the connector and charge it the downtube was bone dry inside. Admittedly it wasn't particularly wet ride because most of the water was frozen but not all of it. Well please for twenty quid or whatever it was that it cost me. Highly recommended. :)

Gordo73

Jan 29, 2021
Scotland
The design of the '21 bike is certainly improved in many areas so, unless you're getting a massive discount on the '20 bike, you're probably better off with the newer one, assuming that you can actually get hold of one. Looking at the build spec, the newer bike looks better spec'ed to me in respect of brakes and gears, but has heavier rims and crank.
I'd be happier with the later spec because the SRAM Code-R brakes on my 2020 bike were absolutely shit and the SRAM X01 Eagle derailleurs are well known for having up-shifting issues because the return spring stretches and no longer has the strength to pull the cable back from the lever so the gears 'hang' when up-shifting.
I fitted Magura MT7 brakes to my 2020 bike and they are night and day better than the SRAMs it came with, and I've fitted a second, smaller diameter, concentric spring inside the main return spring to fix the shifting issues (a right bastard job to do).

I doubt that you'll have either of those issues with Shimano kit.

In any case, knowing what I know now, I'd still strip the wiring and waterproof it properly, or get the shop to do it if you're not confident doing it yourself.

Good luck.
To be honest the saving wasn’t massive, 10% and delivered free. I was looking for the 2021 but there’s none around in a large with end of March the earliest date for one. There’s another complication in that as of the next week or two Giant prices are going up by 10% minimum (Cube already announced 20%).

The SRAM stuff doesn’t worry me much, I’ve had both brands in past and both have had pros/cons. The tip about the spring is most welcome though and one I’ll watch for.

I think I’ll order a spare loom and make the modifications shown here. A quick swap over and one of those neoprene jackets will hopefully ease some of the pain from water ingress.

It’s good to know there’s solid user advice and experience here, I guess time will tell how my bike turns out. In an ideal world I’m sure we’d all be riding £10k Santa Cruz bikes but for mere mortals it might need a bit of hands on tweaking.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
To be honest the saving wasn’t massive, 10% and delivered free. I was looking for the 2021 but there’s none around in a large with end of March the earliest date for one. There’s another complication in that as of the next week or two Giant prices are going up by 10% minimum (Cube already announced 20%).

The SRAM stuff doesn’t worry me much, I’ve had both brands in past and both have had pros/cons. The tip about the spring is most welcome though and one I’ll watch for.

I think I’ll order a spare loom and make the modifications shown here. A quick swap over and one of those neoprene jackets will hopefully ease some of the pain from water ingress.

It’s good to know there’s solid user advice and experience here, I guess time will tell how my bike turns out. In an ideal world I’m sure we’d all be riding £10k Santa Cruz bikes but for mere mortals it might need a bit of hands on tweaking.
Part of the appeal with a cheaper bike is that I'll throw it at or down anything that I'm braveenough to try. If I had a 10k bike I'd definitely be less brave. :)

Chunky

Subscriber
Dec 26, 2019
South England
I've got a 2019 Trance E+3 and have had a number of issues with water. The water issue is so bad that I'm live in fear each time I wash it. First time was when the bike was 3 weeks old, first wash and water got in the controller. That was replaced with the newer version with better sealing but since then I've had numerous issues with water getting in the connectors under the motor. The only good thing has been that the problem I have had each time is that when the connectors get wet is that you can't switch it off.Every time you power it down it switches itself back 5 seconds later, so when it's doing this I remove the battery. I just make sure that I always have a key close by.
I'm constantly removing the lower engine cover and drying out these connectors. Luckily in Australia there isn't much in the way of rain so riding is usually safe but it's still annoying that I live in fear of dark clouds on the horizon.:eek:
Mines pretty much the same. Had controllers changed after a month. I do my own servicing now and use a good grade water resistant grease on every thing. My wife has a focus jam, that's not much better.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles