Water ingress and multiple other issues on 2020 trance E+3

paul-g

Dec 27, 2019
yorkshire
As per a lot of connectors it looks like these pins consist a base metal ( bronze in this case??) with a highly conductive surface metal layer ( often gold or other precious metal). Either constant install/remove or battery movement...in fact probably a combination of both has worn away the high conductive layer. That could lead to sparking, higher resistance and also liable to corrosion.
This site could be useful for you DIY ebike electrical wiring gurus. Note, they classify the Rosenburger magnetic connector ( charging point) as used by Specialized on the Levo for example, as the best connector.
Luna Cycle Fast Ebikes and Electric Bike Kits
if they are bronze they will more than likely be phosphor bronze
(on my giant dosn`t look like they are coated)
Whilst the alloy is well known for high corrosion resistance and good wear resistance characteristics, phosphor bronze also offers good thermal and electrical conductivity with excellent spring and plating properties.
i had phosphur bronze electrical contacts and machine bushings on some of my machines
the wear was miniscule over the years

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
I had assumed that the battery connector terminals were nimonic stainless, because they are attracted to a magnet. I know it doesn't have fantastic conductive properties but the contacts are huge when compared to the wire gauge.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
I wrote this when I was doing mine, might be some use to someone.

16081453054532597339947915861252.jpg

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Your not wrong. This bike was brand new in February this year, has covered just under 1900 miles, and look at this wear already.

View attachment 47260
My approach has been to keep the water out. I did tape with normal electrical tape, and use dielectric grease on the connectors, but then use either a sock or a gaurd like the RockGaurdz carbon skid plate. I also keep the battery strapped over kill tight with two giant velcro straps.

Here is mine after about 4K miles and two winters. This was right after the worst (most fun) mud ride of the year. I've not had the battery out for a month at least.

I used to remove the battery to allow the system to dry out, and to keep an eye on things down there. For the last few months, I've just left it buttoned up because it always looks like this. Nothing to see.
20201217_114211.jpg

20201217_114131.jpg

20201217_114230.jpg

Last edited:

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
My approach has been to keep the water out. I did tape with normal electrical tape, and use dielectric grease on the connectors, but then use either a sock or a gaurd like the RockGaurdz carbon skid plate. I also keep the battery strapped over kill tight with two giant velcro straps.

Here is mine after about 4K miles and two winters. This was right after the worst (most fun) mud ride of the year. I've not had the battery out for a month at least.

I used to remove the battery to allow the system to dry out, and to keep an eye on things down there. For the last few months, I've just left it buttoned up because it always looks like this. Nothing to see.
View attachment 47459
View attachment 47458

View attachment 47457
How clean is that?
Can't even tell what colour mine is sometimes. ?

I was thinking actually, that a neoprene sleeve velcro-bound around the downturn would help in several ways; help keep crap and water going in via the lock and splashing/spraying up through the bottom slot, help protect against gravel rash and also keep the battery a bit warmer in winter to help keep up the range.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
How clean is that?
Can't even tell what colour mine is sometimes. ?

I was thinking actually, that a neoprene sleeve velcro-bound around the downturn would help in several ways; help keep crap and water going in via the lock and splashing/spraying up through the bottom slot, help protect against gravel rash and also keep the battery a bit warmer in winter to help keep up the range.
The sleeves work awesome! But are a pain in the Arse to take off and put on. A custom one with a zipper would be perfect.

I have pictures and order info for the sleeve sock thing around here somewhere it you want it? I like the RockGaurdz solution much better but it will scratch the paint so be warned.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
The sleeves work awesome! But are a pain in the Arse to take off and put on. A custom one with a zipper would be perfect.

I have pictures and order info for the sleeve sock thing around here somewhere it you want it? I like the RockGaurdz solution much better but it will scratch the paint so be warned.
You mean "it'll scratch the bits of paint that haven't Chipped off already"?

Considering that mine is only six months old, you wouldn't believe the state that the paint is in already. It chips for fun; there's loads of it come off around the battery, presumably through it nipping the battery when the frame flexes.

I didn't realise that neoprene sleeves were already a 'thing'? There's me thinking that I'd had an actual idea. ?

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
Been there and done that too...
Only tried it the once but the Bike still died In Hully Gully ?

Sleeve will certainly help to keep the downtube and battery connector clean. But that has never been my problem as far as I can tell...

The water seems to be entering the lower wiring via the crappy covers on the crankcase.

502FB7E8-EB1D-4201-A880-EEE1813D7B2F.jpeg

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore

Sleeve will certainly help to keep the downtube and battery connector clean. But that has never been my problem as far as I can tell...

The water seems to be entering the lower wiring via the crappy covers on the crankcase.

View attachment 47493
The 2021 design is much improved, they've borrowed some ideas from the reign models.

You wouldn't happen to have a business partner called Kenny would you?
If so, we may have a mutual friend in Martin Collins.
Another guy with a strange affinity for the blue oval badge. ?

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky

Dgedge

May 20, 2020
France
My bike has reached 1300km after 1 year.After the first ride I found the side cover of the motor slightly bent so I removed the covers and found mud inside and cables not properly installed. I cleaned up everything, struggled to find the best place to fit cables and connectors. After that I installed a kind of fender on the battery made with a piece of inner tube to prevent mud to go inside. It doesn't look nice at all but it make the job and is very often hidden behind my amigos frame guard.
I remove the battery after each ride and clean the bike usually with water hose but without pressure and with lot of care around the motor. I push a piece of foam rolled inside a plastic bag inside the frame at the place of the battery and cover the RCone with a plastic glove hold in place by a rubber band to protect them from water. It take only 2 seconds to install and remove.
After that i spray some contact cleaner on the battery socket

I also put a piece of inner tube around the seat tube to avoid water, mud and dust to go inside.

So far everything is ok but I must admit that this year there wasn't too much mud for me...

Some pictures:

battery-fender.jpg

battery-wash.jpg

rc1-wash.jpg

battery-socket.jpg

seat-tube.jpg

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
My bike has reached 1300km after 1 year.After the first ride I found the side cover of the motor slightly bent so I removed the covers and found mud inside and cables not properly installed. I cleaned up everything, struggled to find the best place to fit cables and connectors. After that I installed a kind of fender on the battery made with a piece of inner tube to prevent mud to go inside. It doesn't look nice at all but it make the job and is very often hidden behind my amigos frame guard.
I remove the battery after each ride and clean the bike usually with water hose but without pressure and with lot of care around the motor. I push a piece of foam rolled inside a plastic bag inside the frame at the place of the battery and cover the RCone with a plastic glove hold in place by a rubber band to protect them from water. It take only 2 seconds to install and remove.
After that i spray some contact cleaner on the battery socket

I also put a piece of inner tube around the seat tube to avoid water, mud and dust to go inside.

So far everything is ok but I must admit that this year there wasn't too much mud for me...

Some pictures:

View attachment 47519

View attachment 47520

View attachment 47521

View attachment 47522

View attachment 47523
Some food simple ideas there. ?

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore

View attachment 47493
Is your battery held tight against the connector?
The lock is adjustable, and if that doesn't give you enough then I'm told by my LBS that there's an additional packer to go under the battery connector.

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
Got to smile haven’t you? ?
So I put the bike back together after cutting out the lighting circuit and extra canbus connector.

Had a huge drama getting it all back in the bikes motor area with its adhesive lined shrink wrap as it’s so damn stiff. But I got it all back In.

The bike powered up just fine and I enabled the App to check the speed sensor was working and it instantly said I need a firmware update. (It was fully up to date previously) In for a penny, in for a pound I thought. Might fix the assist programming so Why not? ?

so I updated and then noticed on any power up my lights are always on and need turning off manually. Spent ages checking everything and can only assume it’s the latest bloody App update caused it and NOT my wiring changes. ??

What are the chances GIANT would cock that up in any update immediately on completion of my wiring changes?! ?‍♂️

On a positive. The update HAS fixed the assist memory. You can now power cycle and your changes are still in the bike. A test ride tomorrow will confirm they actually do something. Lol.

Last edited:

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
So I put the bike back together after cutting out the lighting circuit and extra canbus connector.

Had a huge drama getting it all back in the bikes motor area with its adhesive lined shrink wrap as it’s so damn stiff. But I got it all back In.

The bike powered up just fine and I enabled the App to check the speed sensor was working and it instantly said I need a firmware update. (It was fully up to date previously) In for a penny, in for a pound I thought. Might fix the assist programming so Why not? ?

so I updated and then noticed on any power up my lights are always on and need turning off manually. Spent ages checking everything and can only assume it’s the latest bloody App update caused it and NOT my wiring changes. ??

What are the chances GIANT would cock that up in any update immediately on completion of my wiring changes?! ?‍♂️

On a positive. The update HAS fixed the assist memory. You can now power cycle and your changes are still in the bike. A test ride tomorrow will confirm they actually do something. Lol.
The chances are pretty good. Lol.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore

Has there been another update since the 12th of December then?
Mine doesn't work, but it didn't require an update. ?

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore

The stiffness of adhesive lined shrink is why I used DR25 instead, particularly on the wife's because hers still has all the wiring to pack in the limited space available. I used a shrinking sleeve, rather than the original PVC sheath stuff specifically to reduce the loom volume for easier packaging and the extra flexibility of the rubbery DR25 means that there's less strain on everything.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
You will know if you have it. Bloody bike lights now default to “On” at power up. ?

View attachment 47612
Strange, mine defaults to annoying auto power assist mode but that's all.
I'll connect later and see if it offers a firmware update.

I see you have Hope brakes?
I didn't get on with the SRAM Codes either so I've fitted Magura MT7 to mine. Absolutely night and day better than before.
Off to Gisburn in the morning I think...

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
Strange, mine defaults to annoying auto power assist mode but that's all.
I'll connect later and see if it offers a firmware update.

I see you have Hope brakes?
I didn't get on with the SRAM Codes either so I've fitted Magura MT7 to mine. Absolutely night and day better than before.
Off to Gisburn in the morning I think...

Just back from there now. Managed about 30 miles and 4500ft.
Bike behaved well and was absolutely saturated. Good start! Even took my own hose and washed it down at the tap. Still fine.

New firmware has a cool new upgrade actually...

In slippery places like Gissy I probably wheel spin badly once per ride minimum, which always resulted in a red light of death with LED 3 indicating speed sensor failure and needing a reboot. Infuriating if on a technical climb when it happens.

Now you still get the light, but retain assistance and just can’t change power levels until you reboot.
Did a whole 500ft uphill today with it flashing at me. FAR, FAR, Better!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles