Water ingress and multiple other issues on 2020 trance E+3

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
That would probably help, but it looks rank.

As already said, you shouldn't have to fit a cover to make your ebike work in the rain. My Shimano E8000 has been fine so far, but the battery isn't sealed so water can get down the side and into the frame.

l've sealed it up with black tape until l can think of a better solution.

anfos

May 1, 2021
Greece
The motor seems pretty well sealed on my 21 Stance E+ 2 but the cables are exposed sitting behind a plastic cover that has gaps around. I guess removing the cover (which doesn't require to remove the cranks) and using a compressor or a hair dryer after a wet ride would be fine. Even the more expensive ebikes like Specialized Levo have the same issues if you search on YouTube and that is because companies don't make motors completely sealed for heat issues (cutting down costs would be another reason I would imagine).

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
I was wondering whether to seal the covers with silicone, and the battery cover as well. Just leave the drain holes under the motor in case any water does get in.

anfos

May 1, 2021
Greece
I was wondering whether to seal the covers with silicone, and the battery cover as well. Just leave the drain holes under the motor in case any water does get in.

Sounds like a good idea, not sure how well it would seal since there is flex on these plastic covers but would certainly help. Let us know if you try it.

I am thinking of getting one of those motor covers but somehow make it hug the motor better like skin, maybe a thin neoprene sheet/roll cut into shape and hold with velcro.

cappuccino34

Nov 24, 2020
Helmshore
Hi, which scope are you using that has built-in CANbus?

Lots of them do, but the scope pictured is a cheapo micsig one.
It's a pretty crap scope if I'm honest, but it's okay for getting knocked around the workshop because it's sort of 'ruggedised'. Plastic buffer case around it. Rubber would be better but it is only a cheap thing.

Donamici

Jan 1, 2022
Ireland
What kind of foam tape are people using inside the downtube to provide better sealing against water ingress?

A link would be great.

TIA.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles