• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Unanswered Water in motor area Shimano E8000

Spectral ON Nick

Apr 8, 2018
dorset
Hi guys,

After quickly washing my Focus Jam Factor earlier, water has got into the motor area, I have removed the cover and it is wet. The power light (blue) on the top tube is also now on all the time (well, it comes on full, goes slowly dim and then returns to full on straight away).

Does anybody know how to disconnect the batter or main power cable please, I don't want to risk damaging the circuitry. Any thoughts and suggestions on how to prevent this going forward too? On very wet rides, is this normal for water to enter the motor area under the cover? the bike has NOT been submerges in water at all, just ridden through some fairly large puddles.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I was looking at that area on a new 2018 Jam2 Factory only this morning. There are backward facing slots that could be air vents, through which I can see coloured wires. That all looks as though water would piss through there carrying mud, leaves, whatever.... They even have air scoops near the head tube to channel cooling air to the battery (and rain and water splashes etc). The dealer said that the water just runs out at the bottom.

However, I believe that all these motors are IP57 which looking at the video of the test is high volume low pressure hose proof for several minutes (I am not an expert on this, just going from memory of what I saw on the Speccy Levo thread on this topic). It would not make sense to have a motor that is IP57 if all the connections, wiring and switches to it were not also IP57.

What happens if you press and hold the button for up to 30 seconds (another tip from another thread for turning it on, maybe it works for off as well).

If it is water in the switch, try a hair drier on it for a while. I once dried out a (cathode ray) TV that was on when my wife watered the flowers she had stood on top of it. The TV was fizzing and popping until I turned it off; it took 10 mins with a hair drier to dry it out. A work colleague bought smoke damaged computers and just washed them in a bath, then put them in a room with dehumidifiers running. Every one worked! So water itself is not damaging unless the power is on at the time it's wet.

But this should not be happening! It sounds like a warranty problem to me

thul

Apr 7, 2018
Norway
Had the same issue, turned out to be moisture/slight corrosion on the battery charging port. A quick spray of contact cleaner resolved the issue for me.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles