Watch the seat clamp screw

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
My bike had a bit of a creak and while investigating the seat post screw snapped despite being torqued, might be worth a check of your bikes it looks like a cheapo one.

Last edited:

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
My bike had a bit of a creak and while investigating the seat post screw snapped despite being torqued, might be worth a check for your bikes it looks like a cheapo one.

Funny you should mention that, I altered my seat and then snapped the bolt, I ordered some stainless ones as replacements, has been fine since.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
My Focus one did the same ...light weight alloy bolt..
Swapped to ~Stainless BUT dont over torque as next thing to go will be the clamp thread, but then a suitable nut should do the job.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
That is a small issue, but one that has pissed me off more than a bit! I will be checking that when I go pick the bike up from the Focus dealer and get it replaced.

Lad

Nov 15, 2018
Australia
Snapped it on mine too whilst torquing it. Thought that must be just a one off dud screw...
Focus need to put a high tensile steel screw there.

Last edited:

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
That is a small issue, but one that has pissed me off more than a bit! I will be checking that when I go pick the bike up from the Focus dealer and get it replaced.

Steve I think you are just pissed off at the minute, hopefully they will sort it and you can enjoy the spring and summer riding.

Lad

Nov 15, 2018
Australia
Wrenching on my carbon bikes I quickly learned the hard way that it is good idea to use torque wrenches, so I used one on the now infamous Focus seatpost bolt. I can tell you that it snapped waaay before recommended torque. At that moment I really thought my wrench is kaput.

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
Hi Phil,
just have checked into the part list of the bike.
Seems that the bolt was changed already by us - now we use another material which seems to be stonger then the first one.

Best regards,
Wilko

Multichannel Sales & Social Media
[email protected]
+49 (0)4471 966 401 745
FOCUS-BIKES.COM

motmcd

Mar 5, 2019
reading,pa
Good information. Thanks for the share. It may be helpful to know that stainless steels typically do not match well with aluminum. SS is reactive with aluminum, and when SS comes into contact with an aluminum base metal, the aluminum will likely corrode. SS screws are also more susceptible to galling when used with steel nuts and vice versa. A small amount of a never seize product eliminates this concern.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Good information. Thanks for the share. It may be helpful to know that stainless steels typically do not match well with aluminum. SS is reactive with aluminum, and when SS comes into contact with an aluminum base metal, the aluminum will likely corrode. SS screws are also more susceptible to galling when used with steel nuts and vice versa. A small amount of a never seize product eliminates this concern.

Good info.....ACF 50 or Copper grease any :unsure:good?

Trots55

Jan 26, 2019
Oxfordshire
My bike had a bit of a creak and while investigating the seat post screw snapped despite being torqued, might be worth a check of your bikes it looks like a cheapo one.
Yep, mine did that as well. Did it before I'd even ridden the bike. I was a little cheesed off...

Bought a stainless steel one.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles