Wassup about those e thirteen carbon wheels?

Santa

Oct 4, 2019
Montreal, Canada
I keep reading negative comments every now and then about the carbon e thirteen wheels that come with the Decoy Pro Race. But no-one has given any specific reason why. So why all the hate?

Camstyn

Jun 19, 2019
Kamloops BC
I’ve had no problems with mine, lots of broken spokes with the carbon wheels on my Tues Pro Race though. Almost every day at the bike park. I rode the Decoy at the bike park a couple days last summer while waiting for the Tues to get the wheels repaired and no problems with it. Turns out it’s as much or more fun than the DH bike too.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Their carbon rims break easily.
Their spokes are weak for purpose
Their hubs have poor design and durability.

The above is from warranting, rebuilding and replacing hub internals with many. I wouldn't personally ride an E13 wheel.

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Their carbon rims break easily.
Their spokes are weak for purpose
Their hubs have poor design and durability.

The above is from warranting, rebuilding and replacing hub internals with many. I wouldn't personally ride an E13 wheel.

Have E-13 hubs on my Jeffsy and have opened the hub 2 times now for cleaning, but is there anything special I need to pay attention to? Seems too simple to fail, other than the bearings :unsure:. The cassette is rubbish for sure.

p.s. not carbon rims btw!

Fatbap

Feb 15, 2020
Rhondda south wales
Biggest issue I had was the hub on my decoy as I wanted to fit a shimano xt cassette an at the time e13 did not do a hub. So I just changed my wheels

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Have E-13 hubs on my Jeffsy and have opened the hub 2 times now for cleaning, but is there anything special I need to pay attention to? Seems too simple to fail, other than the bearings :unsure:.
Just keep on top of that.
If you feel the slightest amount of play get them serviced and replace the bearings ASAP. as the design means any small amount of play often results in wear and damage to the internals.
TBF most of the failures I've dealt with have been ridden by the owners with play somewhere. Most decent rear hubs just don't shit themselves quite so quickly when bearing/axle play occurs.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I bought an e13 TRS + wheelset and one of the selling features that convinced me was the 5 year warranty. But the rear rear hub failed about every 700 miles. The service agent replaced the hub three times and kept telling me that he had never had to do it once let alone three times! (He was implying that e13 hubs are great and it must have been my fault). Before number three, I had decided to sell the bike and my mate showed interest, so I told him all about the problem. The hub failed on his test ride, but he still bought the bike as long as I got if fixed (No3)! About six months later his hub failed. :cry:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
E13 anecdotally to me seem to make piss poor kit - so many threads on here and other forums about various parts begin crap or having high failure rates.

I have had two minot bits of kit from them, both chain devices, and both fit for purpose but very poor quality of manufacturing and material compared to others I have used, simple thing like poor quality hardware, and band manufacturing tolerances.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My YT Capra came with a e13 chain device fitted to the 2x. I quickly had to take it off because the chain kept coming off and jamming, scoring the frame. The device looked good quality and I got a good price for it on eBay. But I never had a problem again with the chain coming off. Bad design I guess.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles