Washing the bike is it worth it?

coggbike

Jul 24, 2019
California
Hi coggbike, great idea, thanks for sharing :)

I'm trying to work out how to transport my Levo, would you say the bike could be transported on a rack using the bar?

I don't want to hijack the thread, here's my original question, Thanks Bike Rack Mount Options

I’ve been using the top tube adapter for my Levo since I got it in early September. The one I have is a Thule and it’s rated at 50 lb, so just enough, though I’m sure there’s some buffer in the rating. It’s quite good quality, and I like it better than the Yakima one I’ve been using on my analog bike for 20 years.

I used lashing straps at first between the frame and cross bar as @kafkastan mentioned to take some weight off the seat post and head tube, but got lazy and stopped doing that after a short while. Haven’t had any issues. I do use a strap to pull the bike toward the rack a little to keep it from swinging forward and backward.

I do have getting a tray style rack on my radar, but the current setup is working fine for now.
7EC7FF60-963E-4709-84A5-0BD5691D1D42.jpeg

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Lashing straps are definitely your friend there. You can get extremely cheap straps rated to a quarter ton. Lash around false bar and your top tube (and other parts of frame if you wish), then tighten to the point where the stem and seatpost/ saddle are actually taking almost no weight. The bike is then basically suspended, by the frame itself, from the false bar by the strapping. If I'm going any real distance, I'll add a redundant second strap that's slightly less tight.

As I've said, to date I've only done with manual bikes, but if you find a suitably rated false crossbar, I don't see why it won't work for your Levo.

Thanks kafkastan, looks like straps and bar would be a good solution, I'll order some straps and have a look at the bars, problem solved I hope!

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
I’ve been using the top tube adapter for my Levo since I got it in early September. The one I have is a Thule and it’s rated at 50 lb, so just enough, though I’m sure there’s some buffer in the rating. It’s quite good quality, and I like it better than the Yakima one I’ve been using on my analog bike for 20 years.

I used lashing straps at first between the frame and cross bar as @kafkastan mentioned to take some weight off the seat post and head tube, but got lazy and stopped doing that after a short while. Haven’t had any issues. I do use a strap to pull the bike toward the rack a little to keep it from swinging forward and backward.

I do have getting a tray style rack on my radar, but the current setup is working fine for now.
View attachment 24615

Thanks coggbike, it's great to see the false bar actually being used, you've put my mind at ease about using one.

Is it possible to post a picture of the other end of the bar? It looks like the dropper post is fully extended with the Thule bar under the saddle?

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
I wash my bike after almost every ride. I lightly spray it with water and then dry it with a towel.
That towel must be magic, theres no way your lightly spraying a mud sodden bike with water then leisurely wiping it down with a towl o_O . I use a bike dryer after washing, couldnt be without it.

Reactions: S D

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Bloody eMTB are a pain. The Singlespeed could be thrown into the spa-pool, fire up the bubbles then hang it from the front wheel to dry.

kntr

Sep 19, 2019
USA
That towel must be magic, theres no way your lightly spraying a mud sodden bike with water then leisurely wiping it down with a towl o_O . I use a bike dryer after washing, couldnt be without it.

Must be a magic towel. My bikes look brand new and I never use soap except on wheels and tires. I don't let the bike mud dry on though. I wash my bike right after my ride.

coggbike

Jul 24, 2019
California
Thanks coggbike, it's great to see the false bar actually being used, you've put my mind at ease about using one.

Is it possible to post a picture of the other end of the bar? It looks like the dropper post is fully extended with the Thule bar under the saddle?

Here are a few pics on the stand. Not on the rack, but the position of the Thule bar is the same whether on the stand or the rack.

Yes, the dropper is fully extended, and as you can see from the close up pic, the hardware of the dropper sits perfectly on the Thule bar end.

I also included a close up at the front FYI. As well as a shot of the bar where the small tube slides in and out of the large tube. As you can see, the small tube is not slid very far out of the large tube. The Thule bar being rated at 50 lbs has to handle the smaller tube being much further out of the bigger tube. So I think with it being on the more compact end of the extension range, I have no worry about the weight on the Thule bar. My bike is a medium and 48.7 lbs.

B1B25ACD-F36B-4B5A-8ED1-737F59162633.jpeg
9533E606-6D9C-46D9-ADEA-DF545AA6CBB2.jpeg
570C32B2-DBC8-4CEB-81D3-96694F49DB3C.jpeg
E9ACBD06-4EFD-4D51-B830-6ADF8DE84384.jpeg

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Here are a few pics on the stand. Not on the rack, but the position of the Thule bar is the same whether on the stand or the rack.

Yes, the dropper is fully extended, and as you can see from the close up pic, the hardware of the dropper sits perfectly on the Thule bar end.

I also included a close up at the front FYI. As well as a shot of the bar where the small tube slides in and out of the large tube. As you can see, the small tube is not slid very far out of the large tube. The Thule bar being rated at 50 lbs has to handle the smaller tube being much further out of the bigger tube. So I think with it being on the more compact end of the extension range, I have no worry about the weight on the Thule bar. My bike is a medium and 48.7 lbs.

View attachment 24656 View attachment 24657 View attachment 24658 View attachment 24659

Great! thanks coggbike, looks good, I'll look at getting a bar and see how I get on :)

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I thought "perceived wisdom" was not to hang the bike off an extended seat post.

Is this just a fairy story to frighten the punters away from doing their own servicing?

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I thought "perceived wisdom" was not to hang the bike off an extended seat post.

Is this just a fairy story to frighten the punters away from doing their own servicing?

I’m interested in the answer to this.
I’ve always hung my carbon clockwork bike from the extended seat post.

My emtb is ready for collection on Monday, and I want to get it in the work stand to apply the invisiframe kit, and also take the wheels off for tubeless. Carbon frame, so I’d be defaulting to the seat post for attaching it.

The bike weighs 21kg, so is it safe to do this, or should I be looking for alternative method - maybe a Thule bar like above?

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I should of purchased a second-hand bike with its newness well and truly worn away, I'm never off the thing given the chance. For the last week its gathered its crap over several rides and to be honest I couldn't stand it any longer so its had a wash.

Its a good hour and half to wash a bike from start to packing all your shit away and longer if you really go to town on the thing, is it even worth it ? After one ride the OCD illness kicks in again, I need to just ride the thing and throw it in the garage and stop being so precious.

After a decent clean it puts me off using the thing, maybe I need to stick some road tires on it and wait till summer :(

On a different note could anyone tell me if its safe to have that part of the frame in the picture taking all the weight on the bike stand ( its a carbon fibre frame) or is it best under the seat ?

I should of purchased a second-hand bike with its newness well and truly worn away, I'm never off the thing given the chance. For the last week its gathered its crap over several rides and to be honest I couldn't stand it any longer so its had a wash.

Its a good hour and half to wash a bike from start to packing all your shit away and longer if you really go to town on the thing, is it even worth it ? After one ride the OCD illness kicks in again, I need to just ride the thing and throw it in the garage and stop being so precious.

After a decent clean it puts me off using the thing, maybe I need to stick some road tires on it and wait till summer :(

On a different note could anyone tell me if its safe to have that part of the frame in the picture taking all the weight on the bike stand ( its a carbon fibre frame) or is it best under the seat ?

I snapped the seatpost clamp using seat post in stand. I tilted it up a bit so be careful. My frame to big for frame in stand.

LandSurfer

Nov 12, 2019
As others have said, definitely no clamping on the carbon frame.

I use a top tube adapter to hold my bike on the bike stand. In addition to balancing the load front and back, it also makes it easier to lift and clamp onto the stand. You can lift it onto the opened clamp in its horizontal position rather than trying to lift a 50 lb bike and attach it to the seat post with the clamp in the vertical position.

View attachment 24576
I found this great little video from ParkTools (entertaining characters, they are!) that estimates loads, torque, dropper-specific issues. Their numbers are fascinating and confidence-inspiring.
Conclusions I took away from their analysis:
1. clamp force from their stand's clamp: about 60 ftlb (not a concern on any part of the dropper, lower or upper, especially relative to point forces of bike's standard seatpost clamp ~1000 ftlbs);
2. clamp strategy on droppers: okay to clamp either lower or upper post, but watch for dirt if clamping upper; also, always extend dropper to max to avoid unanticipated vacuum pressures on seals
3. torque from bike twisting in clamp: negligible, esp. relative to typical forces from a rider.

PLEASE confirm this for yourself by watching vid, using common sense; this was just my takeaway, coulda missed something!

Last edited:

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Haha! What’s funny is I almost said “I know, I’m a genius” at the end of the post, but thought it was too much :)

It did take me a while to think of using the cross bar. I got the stand for Christmas, but despite using the cross bar every time I put the Levo on my bike rack, I kept thinking how the hell am I going to get the bike on the stand by myself clamping to the seat post. I hadn’t even tried to get it on the stand yet when it finally crossed my mind to use the cross bar. Having never seen anyone use it I did in fact think to myself “I’m a genius”.
Somebody is already working on the marketing... "ebike rated work stand adaptor."

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
+1 for a Bike Bar. Use it on my Bike Rack. I've got a Saris Bike Beam which seems pretty beefy. You can get cheaper ones from Halfords etc. I use Velcro straps to lash the bike to the rack to stop it flapping in the wind and a strap between the front wheel and frame to stop the front wheel spinning in the wind.

I wash the drivetrain and get most of the muck off. Clean and lube the chain. Make sure your jockey wheels are cleaned as well as if they seize it can cause havoc. The more you water the bike the more it seems to go wrong so less is more IMHO. Don't wash your bike upside down either as water collects in the TCU, if that's where yours is mounted. I blow some air over the drivetrain as well using a small compressor to get the sand out..

I've got a Worx Hydroshot Pressure washer which isn't as harsh as a full pressure washer and you can use water from almost anywhere as well as a Drinks bottle.

Winter is a nightmare, bring on Spring..!!

Last edited:

coggbike

Jul 24, 2019
California
I found this great little video from ParkTools (entertaining characters, they are!) that estimates loads, torque, dropper-specific issues. Their numbers are fascinating and confidence-inspiring.
Conclusions I took away from their analysis:
1. clamp force from their stand's clamp: about 60 ftlb (not a concern on any part of the dropper, lower or upper, especially relative to point forces of bike's standard seatpost clamp ~1000 ftlbs);
2. clamp strategy on droppers: okay to clamp either lower or upper post, but watch for dirt if clamping upper; also, always extend dropper to max to avoid unanticipated vacuum pressures on seals
3. torque from bike twisting in clamp: negligible, esp. relative to typical forces from a rider.

PLEASE confirm this for yourself by watching vid, using common sense; this was just my takeaway, coulda missed something!

Great video, with actual numbers to support the conclusions. Thanks for the link. This can help a lot of people feel comfortable with a topic that most information out there is urban legend.

filotnie

Aug 11, 2019
Frankfurt - SW London
That Parktool guys are smart.. I thought about this as well and I clamp to extended seat post.. Why? I am 85kg.. I do crazy things on my bike while seating and climbing, wheelies.. so seat and seat post are getting easily 50 - 60 kg of mass + additional forces.. so hanging 25kg down should not harm and if it would then better on the stand then under me.. :D
I just avoid setting extreme angles rotating bike on the stand.

Banktramp

Jul 13, 2019
West Midlands

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
I’ve had no issue with mine for 1.5 years at the 15kg limit. The Saris one is more beefy than the Halfords one but it is quite a lot more.

As I say 3 Velcro straps and some Plumbers foam on the Carrier frame to stop rubbing. It’s been a perfect solution so far. I wouldn’t put more than one eBike on the back.

8D7101E3-7B6A-40F2-BCC3-548B38AF4297.jpeg

Banktramp

Jul 13, 2019
West Midlands
I’ve had no issue with mine for 1.5 years at the 15kg limit. The Saris one is more beefy than the Halfords one but it is quite a lot more.

As I say 3 Velcro straps and some Plumbers foam on the Carrier frame to stop rubbing. It’s been a perfect solution so far. I wouldn’t put more than one eBike on the back.

View attachment 24742
Yes I strap the bike to the rack anyway to stop it swinging and scratching the frame, Might be worth getting one then if you’ve had no issues.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham

View attachment 24742

Thanks for the pic BikePilot, I was worried about the weight limit on the Saris. On faq's on their site, the limit varies between 35 and 40lbs (16/18kg). It's good to hear you don't have any issues as 15kg does seem to be the limit indicated on most beams.

I tried to find the Thule @coggbike uses as its rated 50lbs/22.7kg, but it's not available in the UK.

TheBikePilot

🎥SHOOTER🎥
Patreon
Author
Oct 9, 2018
Clapham, London
There’s always wiggle room in their claims TBH. I can say I’ve road tested it for you and it’s great!

Lifetime warranty on all Saris products as well ?

Last edited:

kafkastan

Aug 11, 2019
Brighton, UK
Haha! What’s funny is I almost said “I know, I’m a genius” at the end of the post, but thought it was too much :)
Definitely not too much. I used "The Cogg Method" for the first time to wash my bike today and it was even better than I had thought. Just so much easier to lift and lock the bike into, and out of, the stand. Also, in a development I didn't anticipate, the false bar cradles the stem enough to keep the bar and front wheel straight. (So that annoying and fiddly handlebar holder thing that came with my stand is going into the recycling.)

Whatever else you may or may not achieve in life, whatever life throws at you, always know that there is an Irishman in Brighton that thinks you a god amongst men!

coggbike

Jul 24, 2019
California
Definitely not too much. I used "The Cogg Method" for the first time to wash my bike today and it was even better than I had thought. Just so much easier to lift and lock the bike into, and out of, the stand. Also, in a development I didn't anticipate, the false bar cradles the stem enough to keep the bar and front wheel straight. (So that annoying and fiddly handlebar holder thing that came with my stand is going into the recycling.)

Whatever else you may or may not achieve in life, whatever life throws at you, always know that there is an Irishman in Brighton that thinks you a god amongst men!

Thanks @kafkastan, made my day!! Truly glad “The Cogg Method” works so well for you.

I also store my Levo on the stand with the cross bar in my garage. Keeps it off the floor and out of the way. And a nice, clean, new Levo looks like a work of art on display hanging from the stand. Sometimes I just go out to the garage to look at it (and think about my next ride). Another unanticipated advantage :)

Cheers,
Cogg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles