Washing the bike is it worth it?

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
I should of purchased a second-hand bike with its newness well and truly worn away, I'm never off the thing given the chance. For the last week its gathered its crap over several rides and to be honest I couldn't stand it any longer so its had a wash.

Its a good hour and half to wash a bike from start to packing all your shit away and longer if you really go to town on the thing, is it even worth it ? After one ride the OCD illness kicks in again, I need to just ride the thing and throw it in the garage and stop being so precious.

After a decent clean it puts me off using the thing, maybe I need to stick some road tires on it and wait till summer :(

On a different note could anyone tell me if its safe to have that part of the frame in the picture taking all the weight on the bike stand ( its a carbon fibre frame) or is it best under the seat ?

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
if you care about your bike keep it clean and properly maintained. If you don’t and are happy to not spot mechanical issues or potential failures and generally let it rot then ride it hard and put it away wet.

Always clamp your bike by the extended seat post, never by the carbon frame.

Northumbrian

Sep 3, 2018
Rothbury
I have the same framed bike, and it’s a problem supporting it in a work stand. Can’t really support it with the Seat tube as there isn’t enough material to grip it. Only other way is to lift it in a purpose made stand under the chain stays.

kafkastan

Aug 11, 2019
Brighton, UK
is it even worth it ? After one ride the OCD illness kicks in again

I think, with your reference to OCD, that you know the answer really. I see in your pics that the grips and tyres are nicely soaped up. I imagine your whole bike gleams after a clean! Mine really doesn't. I'm looking at it now and it's still objectively pretty grubby. But I know the drivetrain, fork stanchions, shock, seat dropper post and brake rotors are sparkling.

Properly clean the important bits, wave a hose at the rest! It's only gonna get muddy again.

And compression from a clamp is definitely still something to avoid with carbon. I'm with @Benson, support by the dropper post. I used to worry about doing that, but if Berkshire Bikes do it that way, I'm not going to argue.

Good Times

Nov 8, 2019
Sydney Australia
If mine is proper dirty I'll hose it and that's about it. I don't see the point in fully sponge-bathing the thing for cosmetics. I just want to get the dirt away from the moving parts and that's about it. Dry it with a blower, wax the chain, done in 5mins max.

Also please no on that carbon! It has great strength front to back, but they don't lay up the fibres to give up/downwards strength and especially there, potentially the weakest point. Do you even need to mount it for washing?

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Personally, I prefer a wheel stand for washing.
I do hang my bike to lube chain, but I just slide the nose of the seat onto the bottom clamp which is enough to hold the wheel off the ground for lubing the chain. Wouldn't work on it that way though.

coggbike

Jul 24, 2019
California
As others have said, definitely no clamping on the carbon frame.

I use a top tube adapter to hold my bike on the bike stand. In addition to balancing the load front and back, it also makes it easier to lift and clamp onto the stand. You can lift it onto the opened clamp in its horizontal position rather than trying to lift a 50 lb bike and attach it to the seat post with the clamp in the vertical position.

69E29330-FD5B-4107-A73A-283ED39B321C.jpeg

BigLee

Jul 12, 2019
Lake District cumbria
I got one of the mobi v15 pressure washers and clean mine before it goes in the van. Wet fresh dirt is always easier to hose off right after the ride ? a quick dry down with an old towel and straight in the garage when I get home ready for next time ??

Snoozeboy

Feb 20, 2019
Lausanne
Also do you ever get the back wheel off the ground with the downforce generated by that rear spoiler? ?

I like the spoiler. It's exactly the same as mine, on my 2018 Cube Stereo 140. Generates downforce, reduces the need for servicing the dropper and keeps my arse dry. I was just going to use if for winter, but I think I'll leave it there for the rest of the year as I ride more off-road in those months.

kafkastan

Aug 11, 2019
Brighton, UK
I use a top tube adapter to hold my bike on the bike stand. In addition to balancing the load front and back, it also makes it easier to lift and clamp onto the stand. You can lift it onto the opened clamp in its horizontal position rather than trying to lift a 50 lb bike and attach it to the seat post with the clamp in the vertical position.

Genius, just genius! Yet probably also obvious if you're not an idiot like me. I have a couple of false crossbars knocking around yet never thought to do this, despite regularly doing battle with my increasingly contrary workstand to accommodate awkward mounting angles. @coggbike, you have changed my life!

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
As others have said, definitely no clamping on the carbon frame.

View attachment 24576

Hi coggbike, great idea, thanks for sharing :)

I'm trying to work out how to transport my Levo, would you say the bike could be transported on a rack using the bar?

I don't want to hijack the thread, here's my original question, Thanks Bike Rack Mount Options

kafkastan

Aug 11, 2019
Brighton, UK
I'm trying to work out how to transport my Levo, would you say the bike could be transported on a rack using the bar?
I've used Halfords False Crossbars to suspend two manual bikes, totalling ca 26kg, on a Saris Bones. Worked well. I'll reluctantly do the same again with my eMTB if the wife absolutely insists the bike has to be carried outside the car to make room for luggage.

(I have suggested a roof box for the luggage so the bike can stay inside. Not a runner, and she seems to think I'm the one being unreasonable.)

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
I've used Halfords False Crossbars to suspend two manual bikes, totalling ca 26kg, on a Saris Bones. Worked well. I'll reluctantly do the same again with my eMTB if the wife absolutely insists the bike has to be carried outside the car to make room for luggage.

(I have suggested a roof box for the luggage so the bike can stay inside. Not a runner, and she seems to think I'm the one being unreasonable.)

Thanks kafkastan, I just wander if a false crossbar of will handle the weight of a levo, mine's about 20kg without the battery, around 16-17 without the wheels I guess.

I'll try and take some pictures when I can to get a better idea of that I need.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
That's a cracking idea for the parallel bar, then just lift it onto a support giving even weight distribution. looks like I better get used to lifting the bike over obstacles or in the van via the seat from now on.
A good coating of acf50 on some components and a hose down now and again, then a propper wash when enough is enough seems to be the only way forward untill this weather drys up.
Incidentally i have to agree that rear mudguard is hideous but funtional :oops:

kafkastan

Aug 11, 2019
Brighton, UK
Thanks kafkastan, I just wander if a false crossbar of will handle the weight of a levo, mine's about 20kg without the battery, around 16-17 without the wheels I guess.
I just looked again at that listing I linked to. They're sturdy things, so I'm very surprised that they cite a max load of only 15kg. I have a tiny 20g carabiner that's rated to carry 18kg, so I'm fairly certain that there are false crossbars out there that'll see you right.

Also, just to say, I use a lashing strap wound between the false crossbar and top tube to spread the load away from the headset and saddle.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
To answer the first part of the original post the answer is no! I say no for 2 reasons. Firstly this time of year the bike is just as mucky after 5 minutes of the next ride so it is a waste of time. Secondly there is a tendency to treat the bike...er....as a bike. In fact it is a combination of a bike and an electrical device and I bet few would put a hose on a device containing PCBs and a battery then leave in a cold damp garage/shed!
Fortunately there is a middle road.
This time of year (UK) I leave the bike after a ride whilst I have a coffee and sort other stuff in my van. Hopefully there is some wind and/or a bit of sun to help dry the bike a bit. I then spend 10 minutes with a soft brush and some towelling cleaning off the mud. It is then clean enough to store indoors. Before the next ride I put the bike on a workstand and wipe over with a damp cloth and then spray with frame protector. I use a small brush to do some detail work around bearings...silicon spray the stancions dropper and shock shaft and lube chain etc.
That way the electronics are kept dry and muddy water is not washed into all the places you do not want it.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Ps if I use a workstand I remove both wheels unless I am working on the drivetrain in which case I set it up with just the back wheel off the ground.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
I just looked again at that listing I linked to. They're sturdy things, so I'm very surprised that they cite a max load of only 15kg. I have a tiny 20g carabiner that's rated to carry 18kg, so I'm fairly certain that there are false crossbars out there that'll see you right.

Also, just to say, I use a lashing strap wound between the false crossbar and top tube to spread the load away from the headset and saddle.

Thanks kafkastan, I'll have a look at some and see that loads they will take. the concern I have id the seat post and stem sliding off allowing the bike to drop.

B1rdie

Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I only wash my bikes after the next ride or if I am going to try to sell it.

kafkastan

Aug 11, 2019
Brighton, UK
the concern I have id the seat post and stem sliding off allowing the bike to drop.
Lashing straps are definitely your friend there. You can get extremely cheap straps rated to a quarter ton. Lash around false bar and your top tube (and other parts of frame if you wish), then tighten to the point where the stem and seatpost/ saddle are actually taking almost no weight. The bike is then basically suspended, by the frame itself, from the false bar by the strapping. If I'm going any real distance, I'll add a redundant second strap that's slightly less tight.

As I've said, to date I've only done with manual bikes, but if you find a suitably rated false crossbar, I don't see why it won't work for your Levo.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
There is no way i couldn't wash my bike after every ride with current conditions, the clay/mud mix round here means that if you leave it all the jockey wheels etc are locked solid from the crap in them. I left my bike for two days after a ride recently and the chain had started to rust, I had to pretty much dismantle the rear end to get everything to move freely again.

I dont think you have to give it a deep clean, I dont care about the state cosmetically, but all the moving parts need a clean.

I use a bike dryer, which is basically an industrial hairdryer, and IMO this is the best thing for cleaning bikes in the water as it gets all the crap and water out and everything dry.

kntr

Sep 19, 2019
USA
I wash my bike after almost every ride. I lightly spray it with water and then dry it with a towel. I only use soap on the tires and wheels. It only takes 15-20 minutes. I don't see how you can take an hour and a half. My bikes are spotless and it doesn't take long at all.

What kind of soap are you using?

coggbike

Jul 24, 2019
California
Genius, just genius! Yet probably also obvious if you're not an idiot like me. I have a couple of false crossbars knocking around yet never thought to do this, despite regularly doing battle with my increasingly contrary workstand to accommodate awkward mounting angles. @coggbike, you have changed my life!

Haha! What’s funny is I almost said “I know, I’m a genius” at the end of the post, but thought it was too much :)

It did take me a while to think of using the cross bar. I got the stand for Christmas, but despite using the cross bar every time I put the Levo on my bike rack, I kept thinking how the hell am I going to get the bike on the stand by myself clamping to the seat post. I hadn’t even tried to get it on the stand yet when it finally crossed my mind to use the cross bar. Having never seen anyone use it I did in fact think to myself “I’m a genius”.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles