Washing stand?

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
After my maiden voyage today, I got the bike home and got the hose out. I usually use a Topeak stand... but have encountered an issue. When you pedal backwards on an EMTB, the chain doesn’t move! I had loads of pine needles and stuff in my chain, and had to lift the rear to spin it. It also was tricky to clean the tyre for the same reason. My bike lives indoors, so the tyres need to be clean!

I have a workstand, but don’t really want to take that outside and get it wet.

Can anyone suggest a small stand that raises the rear wheel? Even if it’s just a few inches so that I can pedal to clean the chain / wheels?

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Zip tie crank to sprocket ( not my idea, but it's the most ysefull information I've read on this site)

ps re usable zip ties have a tag you can easily depress rather than wasting plastic every time you wash the chain

coggbike

Jul 24, 2019
California
Zip tie crank to sprocket ( not my idea, but it's the most ysefull information I've read on this site)

ps re usable zip ties have a tag you can easily depress rather than wasting plastic every time you wash the chain

Or perhaps slightly easier (and the most useful information I’ve read on another site).

Put an allen wrench in one of the Allen bolt heads on the sprocket. The crank stops against the allen wrench when you turn the crank backwards and turns the sprocket.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I too have found the back pedalling hacks to be priceless. But that won’t get your tyres clean for indoors.
For a wash stand, a pipe or framing timber sticking horizontally out of a wall or fence (or supported on both ends) will work.
You hook the front of your saddle over it. If it’s high enough, both front and rear wheels should be off the ground for you to hose down.
Our local MTB park has pipes sticking out of a concrete wall, right next to the water hose taps.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I just came across this video...

Hmmm, perhaps build a manual machine
/ wash-work stand??

I’ll have to be a sturdier build for an eBike application... although (disclaimer) because of the heavier weight, a ‘manual machine’ might bend or deform the back wheel of an eBike if training goes wrong too far sideways?

Last edited:

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Would something like this work on a Levo?

£18.99 on eBay

s-l1600.jpg

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
I just came across this video...

Hmmm, perhaps build a manual machine
/ wash-work stand??

I’ll have to be a sturdier build for an eBike application... although (disclaimer) because of the heavier weight, a ‘manual machine’ might bend or deform the back wheel of an eBike if training goes wrong too far sideways?
I'd be tempted to make the base longer and have the braces on the backside of the upright , so there is freedom for the bike to fall to the sides and not twist the wheel against timber.

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I just ordered one of these off Amazon.
I wash my bike out on the road to save my drive getting filthy... so this should be ideal.
My maintenance stand is Feedback, so I know they’re good quality.

Scorpion Bike Stand | Feedback Sports | Moto Style Bike Stand

This arrived from Amazon today. Although it looks well made, it doesn’t fit through my crank - even with no sleeve fitted. The crank is big enough, but there’s something a few mm in that’s thinner and won’t let it through.
Thankfully it’s a free return!

I,ve been using one of these for the last year - 15 - Cycling - Adjustable Rear Bike Stand
Bargain price £12.99p however it was a bit unstable with ebike on it. So extended the base legs and now super stable.

Think I’ll try one of these since it’s so cheap. How did you extend the base legs? I was looking at something similar when I originally asked the question. £7.99 on Chain Reaction... but no stock!

H1 Dave

Dec 30, 2019
Earby, Lancashire
This arrived from Amazon today. Although it looks well made, it doesn’t fit through my crank - even with no sleeve fitted. The crank is big enough, but there’s something a few mm in that’s thinner and won’t let it through.
Thankfully it’s a free return!

Think I’ll try one of these since it’s so cheap. How did you extend the base legs? I was looking at something similar when I originally asked the question. £7.99 on Chain Reaction... but no stock!
Hello There.
i just slid a couple of 18" lengths of metal tubing i had kicking about that had the similar I/S dia as the O/S dia of the stand then put a couple of slits in and secured the extension pieces to the stand with a couple of jubilee clips = Job done.
Just remembered i did also put a blob of weld where the upright part joins the base just to make it even more stable.:)

Last edited:

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I'll have to find it first, the main reason I haven't used it is I can't remember where I put it...

Yorkshire Rich

Aug 1, 2019
westyorkshire

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
I bought this too after reviews on here for my focus 2.6 29er and it doesn't fit for me so have got a big stand that lifts the bike and that's great. I hope you have better luck with it than me

I guess this is a no then.

I just want something small that can get wet / dry easily for standing when washing - and rotating the wheel!
I have a Feedback Pro Elite workstand for using indoors, but don’t really want to use it for washing the bike.

Hello There.
i just slid a couple of 18" lengths of metal tubing i had kicking about that had the similar I/S dia as the O/S dia of the stand then put a couple of slits in and secured the extension pieces to the stand with a couple of jubilee clips = Job done.
Just remembered i did also put a blob of weld where the upright part joins the base just to make it even more stable.:)

Is your bike a 29er?

H1 Dave

Dec 30, 2019
Earby, Lancashire
I guess this is a no then.

I just want something small that can get wet / dry easily for standing when washing - and rotating the wheel!
I have a Feedback Pro Elite workstand for using indoors, but don’t really want to use it for washing the bike.

Is your bike a 29er?
My cheapo decathlon stand works fine on my Focus Sam2, my missus Focus Jam2 both 27.5'ers and also works fine on my Trek Fuel 29er

p3eps

Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
My cheapo decathlon stand works fine on my Focus Sam2, my missus Focus Jam2 both 27.5'ers and also works fine on my Trek Fuel 29er

Shame they don't sell it online. There are a couple of identical looking ones on Amazon.

Tribey

Jan 1, 2019
South Devon, UK
I use one of these;

71boson1ayL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ibera-Utility-Adjustable-Foldable-Mechanic/dp/B00G7ZO3GE/

It was pretty close size-wise on a 2.8" 27.5 wheel and I haven't tried it on a 2.6" 29er yet.
I use one like this immediately after a ride, and wash with a Mobi V17.
I got mine from eBay, no logo on the adjuster knob, but half the price.
It folds flat, so is easy to store in my van.
It keeps the back wheel off the ground, allows pedalling to wash/oil the chain.
Put it on level ground and it does the job.

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
I got an old park stand off Craig's.list that holds.my commencal.meta 650b, and the stand is robust but also I keep two short sections of 2x4 s in the back of the van and flip the bike keeping the bar resting on the wood so the electronics don't get smashed ( did that mistake) . The drive train actually cleans better upside down , I use low pressure water from my garden hose then when any and all abrasive stuff is gone I dry the drivetrain with shop rags and bring it inside where it's warm. Then I relube the chain..each time if it's NorCal.wet season. Things stay pretty clean this way. I always take the battery off when cleaning.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I use a Halfords work stand thy was about 20 quid in one of their various sales - it takes the weight fine, I like to have the bike raised up for washing with both wheels able to spin freely

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles