Warranty Questions - Australia

hemi.rokingi

Dec 13, 2018
Australia
Just wondering whether anyone has had experience with having their E8000 motor replaced via warranty in Australia. I mainly ask due to a lack of Shimano dealers (according to their website) - I wonder about the wait times? My motor is fine for now but it seems to be getting noisier and I think at some point It may need to go back on warranty.

My other question - I know fitting longer forks/other non-standard components voids your frame warranty. Does this apply to the motor?

Cheers!

Rallysaloon

Oct 6, 2018
Uk
Has anyone wondered what they will do when they do have E8000 motor issues and their motor is out of warranty? Mines ok at the moment but it's almost two years old and sods law says it's going to die a few days after. I've looked into it and basically you can't buy a replacement motor (in the UK, as Shimano are keeping them all for warranty work) and I'm not taking my bike to a bike shop and be held to ransom to get it fixed.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Just wondering whether anyone has had experience with having their E8000 motor replaced via warranty in Australia. I mainly ask due to a lack of Shimano dealers (according to their website) - I wonder about the wait times? My motor is fine for now but it seems to be getting noisier and I think at some point It may need to go back on warranty.

My other question - I know fitting longer forks/other non-standard components voids your frame warranty. Does this apply to the motor?

Cheers!

In Australia, by law, the retailer AND importer are the warranty agents for your bike. It's your responsibility to get the bike to where you bought it from and then it's their responsibility to warrant the entire bike as supplied to you. So if you bought a bike from Joe Blow's Discount Bikes, then Joe Blow is the agent. He in turn will work with his supplier of the bike who provides the warranty. Depending on how old the bike is and how you have treated it you are entitled to either a warranty repair, replacement or refund. This choice is yours, not the agents within a "reasonable amount of time" (that's the text in the statute). So in Oz you don't deal with Shimano. You deal with your retailer. THEY deal with Shimano.

If you bought your bike from overseas then you'll need either an international warranty (through the local importer or return to seller) or you might be on your own. If you do have an international warranty on a part then you wouldn't get free labour from your LBS to assist you but they might act as your agent with Shimano as they will be getting paid for the service they provide.

Regarding the change of components, you're not quite there. To deny a warranty claim the retailer/importer would have to PROVE that the modification caused the fault. So changing forks could NOT void a motor warranty. It may not even void the frame warranty. Say for example there was an incomplete weld on the rear triangle and it failed. Changing the fork has no bearing on this and you have a warranty. If the fork didn't change the geometry, you have warranty. If the change put unreasonable stress on the head tube and it failed, you don't. Changing a stem would not void the warranty on the handlebar unless it was incorrectly fitted. And if it was fitted by your bike shop it'd be under the warranty they MUST provide on their workmanship.

Australian consumer law is very robust. Occasionally, retailers or importers push their luck. You have a strong consumer affairs department who are diligent in supporting you if you think a seller is acting improperly. It's worth being aware of your rights as sometimes sellers try to tell you otherwise.

Consumers

Gordon

hemi.rokingi

Dec 13, 2018
Australia
In Australia, by law, the retailer AND importer are the warranty agents for your bike. It's your responsibility to get the bike to where you bought it from and then it's their responsibility to warrant the entire bike as supplied to you. So if you bought a bike from Joe Blow's Discount Bikes, then Joe Blow is the agent. He in turn will work with his supplier of the bike who provides the warranty. Depending on how old the bike is and how you have treated it you are entitled to either a warranty repair, replacement or refund. This choice is yours, not the agents within a "reasonable amount of time" (that's the text in the statute). So in Oz you don't deal with Shimano. You deal with your retailer. THEY deal with Shimano.

If you bought your bike from overseas then you'll need either an international warranty (through the local importer or return to seller) or you might be on your own. If you do have an international warranty on a part then you wouldn't get free labour from your LBS to assist you but they might act as your agent with Shimano as they will be getting paid for the service they provide.

Regarding the change of components, you're not quite there. To deny a warranty claim the retailer/importer would have to PROVE that the modification caused the fault. So changing forks could NOT void a motor warranty. It may not even void the frame warranty. Say for example there was an incomplete weld on the rear triangle and it failed. Changing the fork has no bearing on this and you have a warranty. If the fork didn't change the geometry, you have warranty. If the change put unreasonable stress on the head tube and it failed, you don't. Changing a stem would not void the warranty on the handlebar unless it was incorrectly fitted. And if it was fitted by your bike shop it'd be under the warranty they MUST provide on their workmanship.

Australian consumer law is very robust. Occasionally, retailers or importers push their luck. You have a strong consumer affairs department who are diligent in supporting you if you think a seller is acting improperly. It's worth being aware of your rights as sometimes sellers try to tell you otherwise.

Consumers

Gordon
Thanks for the thorough response @flash! Really appreciate it.

hemi.rokingi

Dec 13, 2018
Australia

Consumers

Gordon
A quick question - what happens in the case if a refund to any custom parts?

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
A quick question - what happens in the case if a refund to any custom parts?

To the best of my knowledge any refund is limited to the original components. If you replace a fork, for example, you may become ineligible for a refund or you may be entitled to a part refund. In that case Consumer affairs would have to make a decision and that decision would be binding. That still leaves repair or replacement of the faulty part.

Gordon

p.s. I am not a lawyer. I just understand some aspects of Australian consumer law. Unfortunately I have had to test that law but never on a bike.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
Well I'll update you in 2-8 weeks

I don't know the exact terminology so I'll describe it as best I can. My crank arms have slight play in them, in and out. When I put hard pressure on them there is a click or knock sound so i took it to 99bikes and they are going to warrant it for me as I bought the bike from another store in Toowoomba but I'm based in Brisbane.

They said they'll contact shimano next week after the Easter break and most likely have to box it up and send it to shimano for a replacement motor.

They said best case scenario is a 2 week turn around but possibly up to 8 weeks if they don't have a replacement motor in stock.

Really can't fault 99bikes as they could have told me to get stuffed as I bought the bike elsewhere, but they've been awesome about it.

Hopefully it'll fix my other issue with the motor which was a clunky and quite noticeable engagement even in eco mode with slow peddling. Time will tell.

hemi.rokingi

Dec 13, 2018
Australia

I don't know the exact terminology so I'll describe it as best I can. My crank arms have slight play in them, in and out. When I put hard pressure on them there is a click or knock sound so i took it to 99bikes and they are going to warrant it for me as I bought the bike from another store in Toowoomba but I'm based in Brisbane.

They said they'll contact shimano next week after the Easter break and most likely have to box it up and send it to shimano for a replacement motor.

They said best case scenario is a 2 week turn around but possibly up to 8 weeks if they don't have a replacement motor in stock.

Really can't fault 99bikes as they could have told me to get stuffed as I bought the bike elsewhere, but they've been awesome about it.

Hopefully it'll fix my other issue with the motor which was a clunky and quite noticeable engagement even in eco mode with slow peddling. Time will tell.
Ah, interesting. I bought mine from 99 Bikes also. I’ve got my fingers crossed for 2 weeks for you ?? Do you have any non-stock parts on your bike?

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
All 100% stock. I had so much riding planned for Easter and now I'm stuck with my crusty old hard tail non ebike. It sucks.

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia

Good to hear 99bikes has good service. I rate good support highly and tend to spend my money where good support is provided. I also have heard the parent company of 99 bikes is also an importer of bikes like Merida and Norco into Australia (from a store owner. I have no actual knowledge). So it may be you have taken your bike to the importer.

Likely the clunk and movement are the same issue. It'll be a motor replacement or overhaul anyway.

Gordon

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I've always purchased bikes and a lot of other stuff from 99bikes and they've been really good, only reason I bought from another retailer was due to $1500 price difference. And yeah it is a Norco so that probably was in my favour.

hemi.rokingi

Dec 13, 2018
Australia
All 100% stock. I had so much riding planned for Easter and now I'm stuck with my crusty old hard tail non ebike. It sucks.
That’s so frustrating. The noise from mine is driving me nuts but the prospect of no bike for 2-8 weeks seems worse so I’ve delayed taking it back...

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I ride with galaxy buds in so it drowns out the whine of the motor. The clunky engagement is more annoying, especially when you read on here people have no issues with theirs. My wife has a giant and the power delivery is so smooth. I long for something remotely close to what she has.

hemi.rokingi

Dec 13, 2018
Australia
I have the clunky engagement too but I must admit it doesn’t bother me much. I bought my Mum and Liv a little while ago and agree - the power on the yamaha is much smoother. Although I’m mostly happy with the Shimano, I don’t know I’d buy another....

Reactions: iXi

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
6-8 weeks, I've been told shimano has no motors in Australia. Fortunately shimano has said I can continue to ride the bike until a motor is sourced.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I wonder if you've had any updates @iXi ?

Well I finally got my motor replaced. Put it in June 17th and got it back today.

So far on the short ride back from my lbs everything appears in order. The engagement is smoother, I don't get the harsh engagement like I was getting with the previous motor. Even in eco my engagement felt like it was in trail or turbo so that's a bonus.

The most noticeable change is the noise. In eco its 50 - 75% quieter by my ear which counts for little scientifically. If I can find the recording of the motor pre replacement I'll record it in the same section of pathway to how it sounds now. It's night and day. It still makes a sound but before it use to whine its tits off under load, now not as much and just riding along with 50% load it's much quieter.

hemi.rokingi

Dec 13, 2018
Australia
Well I finally got my motor replaced. Put it in June 17th and got it back today.

So far on the short ride back from my lbs everything appears in order. The engagement is smoother, I don't get the harsh engagement like I was getting with the previous motor. Even in eco my engagement felt like it was in trail or turbo so that's a bonus.

The most noticeable change is the noise. In eco its 50 - 75% quieter by my ear which counts for little scientifically. If I can find the recording of the motor pre replacement I'll record it in the same section of pathway to how it sounds now. It's night and day. It still makes a sound but before it use to whine its tits off under load, now not as much and just riding along with 50% load it's much quieter.

Excellent news!! I think mine may have to go back soon. It’s very noisey. Hard to know how noisey is too noisey though....

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
Mine is making a whole lot of weird clicking noises when the crank arms are under load and I am starting to get worried. other than that it feels normal and no more play than when it was new.
It makes maybe 5 to 7 clicks per rotation.
Anyone else who have experienced this?

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
M
Mine is making a whole lot of weird clicking noises when the crank arms are under load and I am starting to get worried. other than that it feels normal and no more play than when it was new.
It makes maybe 5 to 7 clicks per rotation.
Anyone else who have experienced this?

Mine use to click. To replicate it I would turn motor off and stand up pedal grinding up a hill. It would click click click with every downwards stroke.

I would get it under load pedalling along the flats but didn't notice it as much because of the motor sound and the trail sounds.

Mine continued to work fine even though it did the above

This is what it sounded like
Dropbox - bike_1_1.mp4 - Simplify your life

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
M

Mine use to click. To replicate it I would turn motor off and stand up pedal grinding up a hill. It would click click click with every downwards stroke.

I would get it under load pedalling along the flats but didn't notice it as much because of the motor sound and the trail sounds.

Mine continued to work fine even though it did the above

This is what it sounded like
Dropbox - bike_1_1.mp4 - Simplify your life
Hmm...doesn't sound exactly the same but close. My clicks seem to be more frequent but not as much "clunk". More like tiny stones hitting the downtube on gravel.
Do you think your clicking was a sign that the BB bearings are giving up?

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
Hmm...doesn't sound exactly the same but close. My clicks seem to be more frequent but not as much "clunk". More like tiny stones hitting the downtube on gravel.
Do you think your clicking was a sign that the BB bearings are giving up?

Yeah the video doesn't truly replicate the sound. It does sound like stones hitting the carbon frame. For some reason when the gopro is connected to the bike it doesn't get the sound right. I had the gopro in my mouth and it picked it up better but you could hear my breathing so deleted that video.

Unsure if it was the bearings going as it never got any worse than that. The Lbs replaced mine because of the play in the cranks which in hindsight wasn't extreme but was noticeable compared to an analogue bike.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles