Levo Gen 2 Warranty extension & Firmware Update for all 2019/20 Levo/Kenevo with 2.1 motors

SwissChess

Aug 6, 2020
Switzerland
It will probably take quite a while to build an accurate picture. Hopefully the the update will stop the problem, but there's still going to be some motors out there which will have already degraded and would have been close to failing which will probably still fail.

Agree
Here some info for the statistics from my side as I'm running Motor #4 and SRC told me that the last one it is a 2.2 in a 2.1 plastic Kenevo case. :)
Date Lade -zyklus S/N HardwareFWKm MotorKm Total
August 2020new Motor#3E01680-100200622-2-5130212010415012000 96487.3.6 03600
February 2021New Battery202JTA100H30004.00.4.4
April 2021New Motor#429E01680-100200803-1-5155021201042603200 98847.4.206800
today 627.4.210147800

Finger crossed that I do not have to update my excel and keep on riding.

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
Don’t know if it is update related but I went for a ride for the first time in a month and the motor was giving very little power. So much so it has rather depressingly exposed the gulf between me and the bike. Just 7 miles of mostly flat riding but even the slightest rise, ridden on full turbo 100% knackered me.
BLEvo says motor used just 27Wh and gave support for 46% of the ride.

check out the predicted range (oddly, the previous ride was telling me I had 67miles on eco, I put it down to warm weather)

9DE889B6-458F-4FDB-A12B-DB337BDD6171.png

AlwynM

Jun 5, 2020
Liverpool, UK
Unfortunately my motor failed this morning cycling to work. The motor whirrs but there is no assistance at all. It hadn't been updated yet. It's a late 2020 Levo Turbo less than a year old.

My bike was purchased at the SCS in Ruislip. Do I have to return it there to have it fixed?

I was just looking forward to two weeks annual leave to enjoy with it too. :(

Last edited:

SwissChess

Aug 6, 2020
Switzerland
Unfortunately my motor failed this morning cycling to work. The motor whirrs but there is no assistance at all. It hadn't been updated yet. It's a late 2020 Levo Turbo less than a year old.

My bike was purchased at the SCS in Ruislip. Do I have to return it there to have it fixed?

Sounds like the Belt is broken. If SCS Ruislip is your LBS you need to drop it there, so they can do a Warranty claim. But if your lucky they have one spare motor.

AlwynM

Jun 5, 2020
Liverpool, UK
Sounds like the Belt is broken. If SCS Ruislip is your LBS you need to drop it there, so they can do a Warranty claim. But if your lucky they have one spare motor.

I took it to Chester today and they plugged it in for a few minutes and the store manager came back and said they'll open a claim, no questions asked, which I was pleased about.

He said Specialized don't mess around and they'll just install a brand new motor with a new 4 year warranty.

eagerly

Oct 6, 2018
Pordenone
My last motor failed June 2020 and I got a replacement with a supposedly new one which solves the belt problems, I rode 2600 km and yesterday the belt failed again. My motor was dated March 2020. Now I hope that with the third motor I will be more lucky otherwise I will change brand. The positive note is that specy was quick in the assistance, but I need to trust the reliability what is happening here is really unbelievable

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland

I just took my one out and posted it back warranty given all clear in two days and got a new one posted so was out of action for a week so can't complain.

Ben Turbo

Aug 2, 2020
NL
Went for a ride today, the first climb (Lochem for the Dutch) Kleng kleng kleng. Zooooeeeemmmm. End of motor... cant push the bike back, no errors, no power.

2400km 1 year old.

:cry:

I will bring the bike to in for repair tomorrow. Hope they can fix it soon.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Went for a ride today, the first climb (Lochem for the Dutch) Kleng kleng kleng. Zooooeeeemmmm. End of motor... cant push the bike back, no errors, no power.

2400km 1 year old.

How did you get it back

Ben Turbo

Aug 2, 2020
NL

2400km 1 year old.

I am very happy, got the bike back today with a new motor.

Only 6 days for the repair, so went for a ride and feels like new again.
(y)(y):love:

eagerly

Oct 6, 2018
Pordenone
I had recently a new motor (the second one) due to a broken belt.
All went fine and the replacement was fast.
I am following this thread with interest and avoided to comment without
having tested in deep the motor behaviour after the last fw update .
My impression, confirmed by a friend of mine having a brand new 2021 model, is that the motor is not assisting as it has always had before:
-The peak power seems to be reduced, I don't feel the great kick and progression I had before -Sometimes, after a change of slope, ex. from 10% to 0%, the motor decreases the support even if I am in turbo, and requiring the maximum support. I monitored in this occasion, with blevo, that the maximum power output is low, so much that if I change the assistance from 100% to 50% I cannot see the difference.
THis is very disappointing? What specialized has introduced here? A cut off of the power, due for example to high temperature?
I checked the temperatures of teh motor in such occasions, and they are arount 70 degrees.
This is my guess, but the feeling is that I preferred the "old" brose behaviour...
Have you ever experienced the same?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
My impression, confirmed by a friend of mine having a brand new 2021 model, is that the motor is not assisting as it has always had before:
-The peak power seems to be reduced, I don't feel the great kick and progression I had before -Sometimes, after a change of slope, ex. from 10% to 0%, the motor decreases the support even if I am in turbo, and requiring the maximum support. I monitored in this occasion, with blevo, that the maximum power output is low, so much that if I change the assistance from 100% to 50% I cannot see the difference.
THis is very disappointing? What specialized has introduced here? A cut off of the power, due for example to high temperature?
I checked the temperatures of teh motor in such occasions, and they are arount 70 degrees.
This is my guess, but the feeling is that I preferred the "old" brose behaviour...
Depending on when you had your last firmware updated, this is most likely just down to the acceleration response setting. Keep increasing this until if feels more like it used to. The way Acceleration response is configured/reacts was changed, so even if you have the same number as you had previously, the motor won't feel as explosive as it did so most likely you'll have to set it higher, though sometimes on new motors it's set to zero.

eagerly

Oct 6, 2018
Pordenone
I will try to change that , even if the acceleration should not affect the power output but only the response time...but we will see if that helps

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Well that behaviour is to be expected. For example, if you ride long steep climb in TURBO mode (100% = 4,1x rider input) and rider input is for example 250W, the motor will at first provide peak power (can be over 700W) for short period of time and while still climbing motor power will slowly go down and stabilise at around 250W (nominal motor power) which is only 1x rider input. And then if you switch to TRAIL mode (50% = 2 x rider input) and your input stays at 250W motor will still give you 250W of support, same as in TURBO ... switching back to TURBO at this point will make no difference ... when climb is over (or if you stop to rest) and needed motor support will again be (much) lower than 250W, you will start gaining higher max power output for next TRAIL/TURBO mode and then you will defenetelly feel difference between the modes ... so thats why in some cases you won't feel much difference between the modes.

As Zimmerframe said, boosting up Acceleration response may help.

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I don't analyse it enough to compare the new motor and latest firmware etc I just turned 1700 mls with it. What I have noticed I get an occasional loss of power and switching off and on sorts it out never had that before ,that's been dry weather riding as well. I'm more conscious of the motor drag when I reach 15 mph I dinna think it was as bad before. Still the greatest invention since sliced loaf though.

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
…but the feeling is that I preferred the "old" brose behaviour...
I didn’t… 6 fails, including two 10 k pushes back and one 19 k ride back. But I sense this things improved, but can’t possibly know for sure due to no denominator for a calculation. I’ve moved on the an EP8 which I ride and treat the same and apart from a wet connection once, no problems over twice the distance.

Jsmithjr732

Aug 3, 2020
San Diego
My turn. 2021 Turbo Levo Comp. 15 miles out for a 30 mile ride. Motor starter making a sound and then started whirling. Bought in July 2020, but motor has a 10/2019 hardware date. All FW up to date. Maybe the LBS will swap it out for a newer one.

To add, it’s not rideable when the motor is off as well. Hosed.

Last edited:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
My turn. 2021 Turbo Levo Comp. 15 miles out for a 30 mile ride. Motor starter making a sound and then started whirling. Bought in July 2020, but motor has a 10/2019 hardware date. All FW up to date. Maybe the LBS will swap it out for a newer one.

To add, it’s not rideable when the motor is off as well. Hosed.
About 18 months you got the same as my first motor 2600 miles just screamed as i went out garden . Next one 14 months later all was ok as far as i knew. Went in shop for something else they found error on motor and changed it with 2000 miles on it .I would be grieved if i have ever to buy a motor thinking it will only last the same length of time.

Pippy

Jan 31, 2022
Australia
So my LBS just told me that the 4 year warranty is still calculated from the time I purchased the bike, not from when I had my first motor replaced. Which means the warranty on the motor I am just about to have installed, third motor, will only have a six month warranty. Not cool.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
So my LBS just told me that the 4 year warranty is still calculated from the time I purchased the bike, not from when I had my first motor replaced. Which means the warranty on the motor I am just about to have installed, third motor, will only have a six month warranty. Not cool.
Agree if you are only getting a couple of thousand miles out of a motor it will be costly after warranty ends. Dont fance paying £850 for a motor that may not last.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Got my replacement motor approved. Should get it back this week. LBS said the warranty on the new motor is two years from replacement.
All a joke really it depends on dealers clout. I have had excellent warranty . I got new frame supplied it was there before i had sent the old one back to shop. And they plugged the motor in and got a error so fitted a new one the same day. Next lad is waiting for weeks or months.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles