Levo Gen 2 Warranty extension & Firmware Update for all 2019/20 Levo/Kenevo with 2.1 motors

Martinintirol

Feb 27, 2020
Zillertal, Tirol, Austria
After waiting for a couple of months I bit the bullet and got the update done (2020 alu comp with Sept 19 motor).
My feedback is subjective as the Mission Control ride recordings are crap, even with ride auto start on it stops recording after 5/6 km.. Really only useful for changing the tune settings .
Anyway, the job was done free by the selling Spec Elite dealer, I was shocked that it literally took 5 seconds once the tcr unit was connected to the laptop.
I have been on two 25km runs since (in the Alps so a lot of climbing).
Rides were completed in std settings which I use mostly anyway. From stopped in eco there seems to be a little more urgency than before.
The bike appears to run a little quieter than before. Turbo seems fine, which is hardly ever used anyway. The most noticeable difference is going from eco to trail mode. There seems to be no noticeable additional assistance, which was very apparent before.
I have tripled checked all settings including acceleration and shuttle (always at zero anyway). I used a known ride and it appears that the battery consumption is approximately 4% better than previously.... am I working harder? I dont know as I use my non ebikes quite a bit through the summer and naturally my conditioning improves.
The walk assist works, better or worse I cant tell as it was so infrequently used. It always seemed to have a mind of it's own anyway..
So overall, it appears a little quieter, a little more battery efficient but quite possibly not so much torque...
I shall continue to trial this week (snow expected so not sure how much ride time...) and report on the eco/trail transition.
20201009_154206.jpg
20201009_151724.jpg

Kentish

Nov 5, 2019
Kent
After waiting for a couple of months I bit the bullet and got the update done (2020 alu comp with Sept 19 motor).
My feedback is subjective as the Mission Control ride recordings are crap, even with ride auto start on it stops recording after 5/6 km.. Really only useful for changing the tune settings .
Anyway, the job was done free by the selling Spec Elite dealer, I was shocked that it literally took 5 seconds once the tcr unit was connected to the laptop.
I have been on two 25km runs since (in the Alps so a lot of climbing).
Rides were completed in std settings which I use mostly anyway. From stopped in eco there seems to be a little more urgency than before.
The bike appears to run a little quieter than before. Turbo seems fine, which is hardly ever used anyway. The most noticeable difference is going from eco to trail mode. There seems to be no noticeable additional assistance, which was very apparent before.
I have tripled checked all settings including acceleration and shuttle (always at zero anyway). I used a known ride and it appears that the battery consumption is approximately 4% better than previously.... am I working harder? I dont know as I use my non ebikes quite a bit through the summer and naturally my conditioning improves.
The walk assist works, better or worse I cant tell as it was so infrequently used. It always seemed to have a mind of it's own anyway..
So overall, it appears a little quieter, a little more battery efficient but quite possibly not so much torque...
I shall continue to trial this week (snow expected so not sure how much ride time...) and report on the eco/trail transition. View attachment 41837 View attachment 41838
That’s not Surrey! ? I thought the Alps were in Surrey?!?! ??

Danos01

Oct 4, 2020
Australia
Had similar behavior from my motor, felt as if it was not delivering power to the drive system. ECO felt pretty much like OFF, TRAIL felt like ECO and TURBO was very weak. The most evident thing was that the motor could not speed up its revs from standing still (i.e. - not putting out enough torque to get the bike going, after spool up it felt a bit better) in all support modes. It was inconsistent and would come and go during the ride but mostly there.
LBS told me that the motor was fine and suggested I get stronger again o_O... Rode like that for a while and eventually the motor died on me mid ride on a big climb, with the sprug clutch failing.
A good way to evaluate it is trying to turn the chainring backwards (like backpedaling) by hand, it it's very hard to turn back - that's a clear sign your clutch and motor are at the end of their lives and you should visit your LBS for a replacement.

BTW, it had nothing to do with the motor FW.
Good luck
Thanks I will try the back pedalling and see how it feels. I spoke to Specialized in Aus about the issue and they gave me a call, they where very helpful, but they think it is a issue with the mission control app? They have told me to upload the advance diagnostics and they will have a look at it not sure if it will tell them much. It sucks because like @Grannyjones said if it isn't broke or total failure the LBS says it is fine as I assume specialized also. At least i know i have a 4 year warranty and bike isn't 2 years old yet.

Martinintirol

Feb 27, 2020
Zillertal, Tirol, Austria
So, it got pretty wild as you can see...
My trail mode works fine as this was needed from1400m to get up to 1900m. At this point to go further was going to be extremely dangerous coming down...
Anyway, I then returned to 1200m and decided (after my ass saver broke) that I would just do a small climb in Turbo. My motor is making a very loud clicking noise.... returned to base as freezing cold and wet. I haven't investigated further yet but maybe I have broke something after 1300km.....

20201011_131727.jpg

20201011_132939.jpg

20201011_133800.jpg

Jsmithjr732

Aug 3, 2020
San Diego
So, it got pretty wild as you can see...
My trail mode works fine as this was needed from1400m to get up to 1900m. At this point to go further was going to be extremely dangerous coming down...
Anyway, I then returned to 1200m and decided (after my ass saver broke) that I would just do a small climb in Turbo. My motor is making a very loud clicking noise.... returned to base as freezing cold and wet. I haven't investigated further yet but maybe I have broke something after 1300km.....

View attachment 41925

View attachment 41926

View attachment 41927
That’s crazy! And that looked awesome!

Ameiza

Oct 8, 2019
Norway
You can stop the run on by back pedaling just a little bit and the motor will stop instant. Not a proper fix but works instead of relying on brakes.

Is the motor run a common problem? And is it for sure related to the firmware update? I would have guessed it was a sensor issue.
When it runs I can go for 20-30 seconds on my 2020 Kenevo without any pedal input (if pointing slightly uphill, it stops when going downhill).

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Is the motor run a common problem? And is it for sure related to the firmware update? I would have guessed it was a sensor issue.
When it runs I can go for 20-30 seconds on my 2020 Kenevo without any pedal input (if pointing slightly uphill, it stops when going downhill).
Defenetely a sensor issue.

Ameiza

Oct 8, 2019
Norway
Defenetely a sensor issue.
So, does this problem require a motor swap? or could it be solved by changing sensors or other electronics? I don't thrust the commitment of my LBS. The bike has been in 5-6 times for different issues, but no motor swap to date.

salko

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Aug 29, 2019
SLO
Sensor is in the motor, motor is not servicable, so new motor is a fix.

PDS

Nov 20, 2019
Palm Springs
Need some help with a 2020 Turbo Levo Comp and a new motor.
Bike went to LBS for new motor on Oct.15 . Motor was replace and bike picked up on Oct. 22.
Asked if this was a new Gen 2 motor. was told that it wasn't. took bike for a ride today and new motor is really loud with pedaling.
Old motor that came with bike could hardly be heard when pedaling and only noticeable when riding up a big climbs.

anyone else get a replacement motor with this issue?

how does one confirm motor is new and Gen 2?

Specialized Rider care? what can one do if new motor has issues, but still works?

thank you

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
Going to third week without a bike, and Specialized provides no info about when can I get a new motor. Bought two Levos from Spesh this year, been riding bikes from them for more than 20 years. This really stinks and makes me wonder about my loyalty to the brand.

@Specialized Rider Care I live in Portugal, and I assume different markets will have different service levels, but is this to be expected? I thought these issues were being addressed promptly, but that is not the info I'm getting from the store (Specialized dealer).
Yep same here, going into 4th week with no riding. Bike shop don't know when the motor is coming.

Eduardoramundo

Aug 8, 2019
Glasgow
Need some help with a 2020 Turbo Levo Comp and a new motor.
Bike went to LBS for new motor on Oct.15 . Motor was replace and bike picked up on Oct. 22.
Asked if this was a new Gen 2 motor. was told that it wasn't. took bike for a ride today and new motor is really loud with pedaling.
Old motor that came with bike could hardly be heard when pedaling and only noticeable when riding up a big climbs.

anyone else get a replacement motor with this issue?

how does one confirm motor is new and Gen 2?

Specialized Rider care? what can one do if new motor has issues, but still works?

thank you

What is the motor serial number on mission control?

PDS

Nov 20, 2019
Palm Springs
hello,
thank you for asking.

1603562938751.png

took the bike to a different Specialized LBS.

told me motor was new. also worked on the bike and it helped a little with noise.

going to test tomorrow.

mtbbiker

Sep 15, 2018
Murrieta
My 2021 Levo motor started making a super loud whirling type noise when ever the motor was on. In OFF position, no whirling noise while pedaling. LBS diag it as an internal concern from the motor and has placed an order for a new motor.

I think it’s a late 2019 motor, which seems strange for a 2021 bike. Or am I reading it wrong?

View attachment 40785

Just an update to my motor being super noisy, grinding type sound! Other than the noise, my motor worked perfectly and my LBS let me keep riding until the new motor came in. As you can see I started the process Sept. 23, 2020 and got word the new motor arrived to Temecula, CA Oct. 26, 2020. So a little over a month and that's with the 1st motor Specialized sent out but some how got lost with FedEx. The bike is now back to whisper quiet and I feel like I have a new bike again! Here's the latest motor #. I don't know why I can't figure out the code on my own, but I think its a 2020 motor. Please correct me if I'm wrong. All updates have been performed, my walk seems pretty useless now:(. Hopefully this motor will last way longer than the 1srt motor.

IMG_0530.PNG

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Just an update to my motor being super noisy, grinding type sound! Other than the noise, my motor worked perfectly and my LBS let me keep riding until the new motor came in. As you can see I started the process Sept. 23, 2020 and got word the new motor arrived to Temecula, CA Oct. 26, 2020. So a little over a month and that's with the 1st motor Specialized sent out but some how got lost with FedEx. The bike is now back to whisper quiet and I feel like I have a new bike again! Here's the latest motor #. I don't know why I can't figure out the code on my own, but I think its a 2020 motor. Please correct me if I'm wrong. All updates have been performed, my walk seems pretty useless now:(. Hopefully this motor will last way longer than the 1srt motor.
Yes, the date is 4th of August 2020
digits after xxxxxx-100-year-month-day

lmartins

Sep 19, 2018
Portugal
Got my bike back. First two rides and the motor feels normal, but twice I got the red and blue blinking lights. Restarting brought it back to normal, but after weeks without a bike I’m almost dreading go ride it and have it breaking down on me again.

VOOBOY

Nov 19, 2019
South Yorkshire
Got my bike back. First two rides and the motor feels normal, but twice I got the red and blue blinking lights. Restarting brought it back to normal, but after weeks without a bike I’m almost dreading go ride it and have it breaking down on me again.
Spesh really need to sort what's going on with this, nobody wants to fear riding a very expensive bike in case it breaks down.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Is Mission Control Showing you any errors ?

Supratad

Nov 13, 2019
North Yorkshire, UK
Spesh really need to sort what's going on with this, nobody wants to fear riding a very expensive bike in case it breaks down.
Yeah, that’s my big issue. If I were to be left stranded in the woods at the bottom of say Sutton Bank, (which is no real wilderness compared to some of you guys), I’d be in real trouble. I’m too heavy and unfit to walk back up unassisted.
Mybike’s in next week (lockdown) for a new gen motor so I shall be doing the local routes again as I did last lockdown for the time being.

Grannyjones

May 25, 2020
England
It's well worth keeping your anaglogue bikes so that you aren't bikeless if the Electric bike brakes down. I know I have. Yes they're not as fast or fun but they aren't that bad.

JetSetDemo

🍦Two Scoops🍦
Patreon
Apr 1, 2018
Ashby de la Zouch
So my 2019 Expert died after 2500miles. Had the motor replaced same day (belt had failed) by the amazing folks at Berkshire cycles back in Aug. Everything was ok for a few weeks then i started to get the same blue & Red error lights, fixed every time by a switch on and off.
With 374 miles on the new motor it stopped providing any assistance last Sunday out in the FOD. Strangely walk assist still works, although this is the new super weak walk assist that came with the update and the new motor.

Monday i took a look at it all after a good clean and still not working, reset the TCU, still nothing. Walk assist still worked so i engaged walk assist but held the bike static for a few seconds, hay presto it came back to life. So i put it back in the garage and waited till Wednesday when i had some spare time to blast down the local.

So i cycled 5miles from my home yesterday all down hill to my local trail center and.............It died on me again same as the above. I tried everything i did last time including removing the TCU and drying it overnight but alas today i cant get it to provide any assistance apart from walk assist. Fortunately as i am in the UK a quick call to Berkshire and its booked in for repair Friday morning, they have motors on the shelf so it will be a whilst i wait repair.

I am so thankful that specialized have a solid warranty however this is rapidly reducing my confidence levels in the bike not just crapping out on me on any given ride. Also not ideal having a 200 mile round trip every time it needs to be fixed but my local concept store are woeful when it come to even knowing how to communicate let alone provide good customer service.

I think this is a speed sensor fail, not even sure if that's a common fault, i have a 2017 Levo also, in 4 years of Levo ownership not had this fault before.

I spent yesterday looking at alternatives but supply of bikes is poor and the new ranges wont hit for delivery until 2021 Q. I do like the look of the 2021 Rocky Mountain Altitude PP BC90 but have never ridden one.

I will let you know what Chris diagnoses the issue as after i get back tomorrow.

Stay Safe D

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Monday i took a look at it all after a good clean and still not working, reset the TCU, still nothing. Walk assist still worked so i engaged walk assist but held the bike static for a few seconds, hay presto it came back to life. So i put it back in the garage and waited till Wednesday when i had some spare time to blast down the local.
Sounds like the same problem I have. Suddenly was only getting 75% injector loading and intermittent starting so changed a suspected faulty injector after spending a day slowly cleaning all the tar off from a blown injector seat. Fine for 2 days. Then the same .. changed the next suspect faulty injector .. perfect for 2 days then the same. Then not starting and random stopping - air in the fuel.. traced to TWO faulty o-rings on the fuel filter. Unfortunately it has no walk assist - that would be useful when it strands you at the side of the road. Noticed the map and inlet temperature sensors were oily, so changed the crankcase breather device as seemed to be letting the turbo suck oil through. Worked fine for 2 days. Them became even worse at starting and the variable vanes on the turbo stuck in zero boost position. On the bright side I was getting full injector loading. Then had full boost again for 2 hours before it went locked up again and no boost. Change the MAP and temperature sensors .. no difference. Wouldn't start at all 2 days ago, checked every sensor and connection I could find (again) and now I have boost and full injector loading. ?!?!? but for how many days.

I wish I had a Berkshire Cycles near, I'm sure they'd know what it is straight away.

Venlo

Jul 2, 2019
Venlo The Netherlands
Is Mission Control Showing you any errors ?
I've got the same problem with the red and the blue light. I'm on my first motor (4000km) and don't hose the bike while washing. Mission control tells me to check the cables of the TCU. Personally I think it's the battery motor cable. I've got a levo from may 2019 with a "MK1" cable. I'm trying to get it replaced (within warranty) with a newer spec cable. What are the differences between the older and newer cable?
Is this, for example, a new cable? ==> SPECIALIZED MY19 LEVO FSR BATTERY-MOTOR CABLE, 220mm

Kind regards

JetSetDemo

🍦Two Scoops🍦
Patreon
Apr 1, 2018
Ashby de la Zouch
I had the motor cable issue back in Jan, this is not the same issue. I would get the cable changed for sure. I didn't get lights when the cable went wrong i got nothing it was just dead, wiggling the cable made it work but then it was cutting in and out then died. I actually put the old cable on the radiator overnight and it fixed it, it a poor design, the plastic sleeve will be hard and brittle on the old cable the new ones are redesigned.

JetSetDemo

🍦Two Scoops🍦
Patreon
Apr 1, 2018
Ashby de la Zouch
Sounds like the same problem I have. Suddenly was only getting 75% injector loading and intermittent starting so changed a suspected faulty injector after spending a day slowly cleaning all the tar off from a blown injector seat. Fine for 2 days. Then the same .. changed the next suspect faulty injector .. perfect for 2 days then the same. Then not starting and random stopping - air in the fuel.. traced to TWO faulty o-rings on the fuel filter. Unfortunately it has no walk assist - that would be useful when it strands you at the side of the road. Noticed the map and inlet temperature sensors were oily, so changed the crankcase breather device as seemed to be letting the turbo suck oil through. Worked fine for 2 days. Them became even worse at starting and the variable vanes on the turbo stuck in zero boost position. On the bright side I was getting full injector loading. Then had full boost again for 2 hours before it went locked up again and no boost. Change the MAP and temperature sensors .. no difference. Wouldn't start at all 2 days ago, checked every sensor and connection I could find (again) and now I have boost and full injector loading. ?!?!? but for how many days.

I wish I had a Berkshire Cycles near, I'm sure they'd know what it is straight away.

I've been looking all day but cant find the fuel filter, think i may have been using it as a drink bottle for the last 18m.

Bearman

Sep 17, 2020
Trondheim, Norway
Great that the waranty is now 4 years, you need it. I am on my third motor already. Just got a new on installed, and I went out to try it. Again it seem to have the same failure. After a while the engine starts to emit a creaking sound when climbing hils. Like there is some sort of cog or perhaps the belt i straining. The sound goes away when you pedal on a flat trail, but as soon as you put a bit of preasuer it comes back. Im starting to totaly loose confidence in the Brose motor, and thiking of canceling my purcase and getting my money back. I cant belive Specialiced has not managed to fix the issues with this motor yet. Its been on the market for almost 2,5 year.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles