Warranties on second hand bikes?

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Kind of thinking to buy an Orbea Rise M10 and have seen some second hand models around 6k unregistered, this saves £1k loss in future, happy days but if the seller can’t get the shop to register the bike I’m the new owners name then when it comes to issues, normally the lbs has to diagnose the fault to claim it under warranty normally and then deal with Orbea?

or does Orbea advise take to a shop and they take it over?

There are direct Orbea sales after all, the one I’ve seen hasn’t been registered although I’m not sure how to test for this

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Any shop you take it to for warranty is likely to ask you for proof of purchase, usually takes the form of the original invoice in your name.

Or at least that what they asked for when I took my Orbea in for a new motor.

It'll be bosch/shimano warranty for anything relating to the motor and orbea warranty for anything relating to the frame.

Last edited:

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Any shop you take it to for warranty is likely to ask you for proof of purchase, usually takes the form of the original invoice in your name.

Or at least that what they asked for when I took my Orbea in for a new motor.

It'll be bosch/shimano warranty for anything relating to the motor and orbea warranty for anything relating to the frame.
Shop I had this chat with said original owner with receipt only pretty much, it being unregistered makes no difference. That leaves a big dependency on the original owner pretty much to handle affairs later on.....

MadMunky

Jun 15, 2021
Hampshire
Is this even legal? if you buy a second-hand car the warranty is with the date of registration and the car not the owner of the car so I do not see why it should be any different for a bike as long as you prove when it was first brought.

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Is this even legal? if you buy a second-hand car the warranty is with the date of registration and the car not the owner of the car so I do not see why it should be any different for a bike as long as you prove when it was first brought.

I think something needs doing in this industry, I have a 15 year old Nissan elgrand that was imported from Japan and there are sometimes minor recall issues that can get resolved for free on these vehicles even though it’s an import!.....

By the LBS logic if you buy a second hand bike your warranty regardless of status is
nill and void, they didn’t sell specialized bikes which sounds as though they do transfer (albeit it Ill fated) warranty so something at least

They also said despite this fact people
still would buy a 7k bike for 6k, I also could do this as someone is selling one second hand ‘as new’ but to spend so much is out of the remit of a 3-4k ‘Punt’ like a lot of other cheaper bikes, at least for myself so Instead Im paying more....

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Technical Issues? | We are here to help

Is the warranty transferable?
As per the instructions set out by the manufacturer and included in your owners manual, warranty / support cannot be transferred. It only applies to the first buyer and on presentation of the customers purchase receipt. This is set by the manufacturer, not us.

Any work carried out does not mean that the warranty has been lengthened or that the warranty period has started again from the beginning. The warranty period starts from the date stated on the bicycle order confirmation.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Yeah it's legal,and mostly normal. I think some bike companies have a transferable warranty, can't remember which ones though.

It not for cars, which is why the warranty is what it is for cars, but there are a whole host of other regulations around car warranties that don't exist for other products - in the UK at least anyway.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
By the LBS logic if you buy a second hand bike your warranty regardless of status is
nill and void, they didn’t sell specialized bikes which sounds as though they do transfer (albeit it Ill fated) warranty so something at least

It's not the lbs setting the terms of the warranty, it's the manufacturer of the bike.

Each manuf will have slightly different terms so you need to go and delve into the small print to get the real details.

Also, don't get warranties confused with your statutory consumer rights, they are two different things.

Your consumer rights are protected by law, the warranty is effectively a contract between you and the manufacturer.

You have no consumer rights if you buy a second hand bike from a private individual, and if the manufacturers warranty is only provided for the original purchaser then you're on your own with a second hand bike.

Last edited:

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
And yet, Forestal transfer full warranty over and provide both seller and buyer with a unique code to reregister, that’s a company who values a customer endorsing their products, shame the bikes aren’t out yet.

The daft thing is, I would massively weight my purchase towards any company who protects my investment when it comes to selling on again, I’m sure others would too.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
And yet, Forestal transfer full warranty over and provide both seller and buyer with a unique code to reregister, that’s a company who values a customer endorsing their products, shame the bikes aren’t out yet.

The daft thing is, I would massively weight my purchase towards any company who protects my investment when it comes to selling on again, I’m sure others would too.
Has anyone seen a forestal bike in the wild yet?

I have developed a new ebike, it weighs 13kg, has 85nm of torque ,a range of 100 miles, 170mm travel at both ends,full fox factory sus, and a full transferable warranty with no time limits, it will cost £5k . It'll be on sale soon - please form an orderly queue.

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
To me, the warranty should always be specific to the DEVICE, not the owner. I know, in law and by practice this is NOT the case but doing it by purchaser is illogical to the extreme. It effectively kills the second hand/resale market.

I am surprised the EU bureaucrats haven't taken this onboard and forced the market to warrant the device. It beggars belief.

So long as you can prove when it was bought (start of warranty), what does it matter who bought it?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
And yet, Forestal transfer full warranty over and provide both seller and buyer with a unique code to reregister, that’s a company who values a customer endorsing their products
Has anyone seen a forestal bike in the wild yet?
Forestal is a bit different though. They're a new brand so have to offer quite a convincing package to attract buyers. Also, we have no idea how this warranty will work - as we know some companies are so crap it's pointless having the warranty. They're also selling a bike with a small battery, with a motor from a company who are generally not ground breaking and don't exactly have the best reputation for support, with some average component specs for top whack money. I'd almost expect them to send someone to my house to fix things, like not just the bike, but change lightbulbs, fix cold food and make it hot, fix warm beer and make it cold - that sort of thing.

As for in the wild.. Apparently after all the holdups on waiting for displays to arrive so they could ship .... they're waiting for NINETEEN motors to arrive from bafang so they can begin quality control testing .. Not sure how long that will take, presumably at least 2 weeks if they're not shipping the 3-5 test bikes to journalists until early July using these same motors. Presumably if there are any issues, then there will be further significant delays.

Supposedly, bafang can then ship them another 100 motors for production bikes.....

And can provide 500 more in 5 weeks - I guess that's dispatched.

They claim to have lots of other components though, so no problems there.

Doesn't sound like they've been having an easy time of it.

EuanS2

Subscriber
Jan 10, 2021
Edinburgh
Trek's warranty is lifetime to the original owner and should they sell it within the first 3 years then then new owner will have the remainder of what ever is left from those first 3 years from the original purchase date

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Uhmmm, not as exciting as it first sounds :cry:

Screenshot 2021-06-16 16.44.15.png

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
same place I’m possibly buying from had a customer try to pretend to be the original buyer but trouble was the guy whole sold the bike was a friend of the owners so he was out of luck and went off without any support.

To me it’s pretty shitty conduct really but that said, who knows a shop atm that doesn’t have 100+ backlogged bikes awaiting repairs? I guess they aren’t motivated to have added complexity when they can get away with it....

Im pretty sure consumer law should cover returns however, I get the impression once a knob (not a human) touches the outside world then you can’t return, I was told this by the lbs also but I’m pretty sure if legal action was pressed they would have to back down?

If for example I take for a ride and I don’t like it, the hub is 10x louder than my current one and makes me think I’ve got bees in my ears kind of thing (real life situation with the rise!) or I just don’t get on with it really, what then I can’t return nor can’t sell?

but luckily there is always someone bonkers with money it seems who will forfeit his warranty to save £500!

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
same place I’m possibly buying from had a customer try to pretend to be the original buyer but trouble was the guy whole sold the bike was a friend of the owners so he was out of luck and went off without any support.

To me it’s pretty shitty conduct really but that said, who knows a shop atm that doesn’t have 100+ backlogged bikes awaiting repairs? I guess they aren’t motivated to have added complexity when they can get away with it....

Im pretty sure consumer law should cover returns however, I get the impression once a knob (not a human) touches the outside world then you can’t return, I was told this by the lbs also but I’m pretty sure if legal action was pressed they would have to back down?

If for example I take for a ride and I don’t like it, the hub is 10x louder than my current one and makes me think I’ve got bees in my ears kind of thing (real life situation with the rise!) or I just don’t get on with it really, what then I can’t return nor can’t sell?

but luckily there is always someone bonkers with money it seems who will forfeit his warranty to save £500!
Consumer rights are a complex area,and vary depending on how the item was bought(you get more rights if the item was sold at a 'distance' for example) , they are too complex for me to cover succinctly in a post on a forum.

Go read up,should help you sleep well at least.

But if you're buying second hand from a private individual you have very little recourse if there is a problem.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone

There's no getting away with anything going on there (assuming the warranty says its not transferable), it's clear as day in black and white, the shop or manufacturer has no obligation to anyone except the original purchaser.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I think some bike companies have a transferable warranty, can't remember which ones though.
Not Orbea...

• This warranty is available only to the original purchasers of products who complete the online registration form for the bicycle or frame within 30 days as from their purchase. It is not transferrable to subsequent purchasers of the materials covered, other than the original purchaser. When filing a claim under this warranty, the user must pro-vide a copy of the purchase document (sales invoice) for the bicycle to ORBEA or the deal-er..

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I am surprised the EU bureaucrats haven't taken this onboard and forced the market to warrant the device.
That would be great news for the Europeans, not so relevant for us Brits though...

Tonybro

🦾 The Bionic Man 🦿
Subscriber
Jan 15, 2021
Lancashire
That would be great news for the Europeans, not so relevant for us Brits though...
No but we could probably mirror it in law if we badgered the Government...

Car warranties are transferable (at least with BMW) who warrant the vehicle...

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
To me, the warranty should always be specific to the DEVICE, not the owner. I know, in law and by practice this is NOT the case but doing it by purchaser is illogical to the extreme. It effectively kills the second hand/resale market.

I am surprised the EU bureaucrats haven't taken this onboard and forced the market to warrant the device. It beggars belief.

So long as you can prove when it was bought (start of warranty), what does it matter who bought it?

This is how statutory warranty works in Oz. We usually follow the EU so I'm very surprised that we got there first.

Gordon

carlbiker

🛡️🚵🛡️
Sep 15, 2020
leeds england
Not Orbea...

• This warranty is available only to the original purchasers of products who complete the online registration form for the bicycle or frame within 30 days as from their purchase. It is not transferrable to subsequent purchasers of the materials covered, other than the original purchaser. When filing a claim under this warranty, the user must pro-vide a copy of the purchase document (sales invoice) for the bicycle to ORBEA or the deal-er..

So this scuppers people thinking it’s better to not register the warranty and in turn pass over to the next buyer as it kind of sound the warranty would be void on the 31st day?

I don’t really like the sound of Orbea atm ?

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
So this scuppers people thinking it’s better to not register the warranty and in turn pass over to the next buyer as it kind of sound the warranty would be void on the 31st day?

I don’t really like the sound of Orbea atm ?

read carefully

This warranty is available only to the original purchasers of products who complete the online registration form for the bicycle or frame within 30 days

you have to be the original purchaser AND complete the registration form within 30 days of purchase.

In reality I suspect they'd honour the warranty if you were the original purchaser and hadnt filled in the online registration. but I suspect they wouldnt honour the warranty if you werent the original purchaser but had still filled in the online registration form in within 30 days.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
My first emtb was a giant - 2 years non transferable warranty. When I realised it was non transferable, I decided to only buy bikes with transferable warranties in future.

I envied the specialized warranty, especially their rolling warranty - kill a motor and your new motor warranty starts again. ( my new giant motor ran out of warranty before it was fitted to the bike!) .So I was a lot more comfortable buying specialized second hand. Should have read the fine print!!! Oh well, if the wheels or frame fail the last thing I'm worried about is replacing them with the same type!!!

That trek warranty looks reasonable - although how does 2 years rear suspension bearing warranty fit with no cover for wear and tear? Am I the only one who automatically replaces bearings every year? I can imagine that conversation going well..." give her the annual service, new bearings and a clean" - " sorry sir, the bearings are still working so we can't replace them"

Orbea can get stuffed - if they are going to reject warranty because I'm not IT savvy enough to register!!!

Merida is interesting - only 12 months!! I thought they owned specialized, how can they be so different?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Merida is interesting - only 12 months!! I thought they owned specialized, how can they be so different?
I think they own 49% .. So you could argue anyone who owns a merida should buy spesh owners a beer for subsidising their bike :) Based on the same theory, you think they'd have a 3 year warranty - paid for by Spesh.

A lot of the warranties do seem pretty lacklustre. The registering thing by Orbea is a bit naff. If you bought the bike and have the receipt, then it's yours and should be warrantied - just sounds like an excuse to get out of offering a warranty.

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
My first emtb was a giant - 2 years non transferable warranty. When I realised it was non transferable, I decided to only buy bikes with transferable warranties in future.

I envied the specialized warranty, especially their rolling warranty - kill a motor and your new motor warranty starts again. ( my new giant motor ran out of warranty before it was fitted to the bike!) .So I was a lot more comfortable buying specialized second hand. Should have read the fine print!!! Oh well, if the wheels or frame fail the last thing I'm worried about is replacing them with the same type!!!

That trek warranty looks reasonable - although how does 2 years rear suspension bearing warranty fit with no cover for wear and tear? Am I the only one who automatically replaces bearings every year? I can imagine that conversation going well..." give her the annual service, new bearings and a clean" - " sorry sir, the bearings are still working so we can't replace them"

Orbea can get stuffed - if they are going to reject warranty because I'm not IT savvy enough to register!!!

None of what you're worried about is valid in Oz, so I don't know why you'd worry, except to provide emotional support to our more northern brothers and sisters....

In Oz, even limiting warranty to a time frame (like 12 months) may not be valid. You definitely don't need to register, have the original receipt (you need proof of original purchase) or worry about transfer.

Gordon

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles