WARNING TICKS!!!! - please read

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Interesting .
I am an Australian and I have never heard of these diseases you talk about .

I personally have been bitten by ticks hundreds of times . There is education and information available every summer in Australia. Mainly about cats and dogs getting ticks . Never about bacterial diseases or ticks regurgitating bacteria from their stomachs ?

That bulls eye thing is what happens with Lymes . Never seen it with ticks in Australia .

Global hard tick species that cause Lyme disease[5]
RegionTick speciesCommon name
East and Midwest (US)Ixodes scapularisBlack-legged tick, deer tick
Pacific Coast (US)Ixodes pacificusWestern black-legged tick
EuropeIxodes ricinusSheep tick
AsiaIxodes persulcatusTaiga tick

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
Interesting .

I personally have been bitten by ticks hundreds of times . There is education and information available every summer in Australia. Mainly about cats and dogs getting ticks . Never about bacterial diseases or ticks regurgitating bacteria from their stomachs ?

That bulls eye thing is what happens with Lymes . Never seen it with ticks in Australia .

Yes, we do not have Lyme disease in Australia. 'Lyme disease' is only a very specific strain of Borrelia. but we have other strains of Borrelia (Lyme-like), which can also cause the bullseye rash and cause very similar symptoms. It is still not fully recognised that these infections specifically cause human illness as the science has not been done on these exact strains here in aus, but all over the world it has been done on other strains of Borrelia and shown the same thing. And we have many other infections. Bartonella, babesia, rickettsia, anaplasma, coxiella are nasty ones, and they are fully recognised as being in Australia, although treatment protocols for them is not as well understood, nor is education nor awareness at your local GP doctors level. What is even less understand, is the presentations that occur when you have several of these infections become chronic at the same time. It's not fun!

Read 'Human Tick-Borne Diseases in Australia':

If you do a search on the above for 'borrelia' and look through the first 15 entries for the word, you will find an explanation for what I was discussing about 'lyme-like', Borrelia strains and specifically in Australia.

Last edited:

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Table 3
Known species from Borrelia burgdorferi sensu lato complex with potential of human Lyme borreliosis.
Borrelia species
Vector
Geographical distribution
B. afzelii
I. ricinus, I. persulcatus
Asia, Europe​
B. bavariensis
I. ricinus
Europe​
B. bissettii
I. ricinus, I. scapularis, I. pacificus, I. minor
Europe, United States​
B. burgdorferi sensu stricto​
I. ricinus, I. scapularis, I. pacificus
Europe, United States​
B. garinii
I. ricinus, I. persulcatus, I. hexagonus, I. nipponensis
Asia, Europe​
B. kurtenbachii
I. scapularis
Europe, United States​
B. lusitaniae
I. ricinus
Europe, North Aferica​
B. spielmanii
I. ricinus
Europe​
B. valaisiana
I. ricinus, I. granulatus
Asia, Europe​

If you do a search on the above for 'borrelia' and look through the first 15 entries for the word, you will find an explanation for what I was discussing about 'lyme-like', Borrelia strains and specifically in Australia.

They found no member of B. burgdorferi sensu lato group, but their results revealed the presence of a new relapsing fever group Borrelia (Gofton et al., 2015b).

Hence, there is no evidence for transmission of B. burgdorferi sensu lato complex with Australian ticks.
Whilst patients in Australia with Lyme-like disease may occasionally have positive Lyme serology, finding the causative agent using PCR or direct culture is regarded as mandatory for confirmation of local acquisition of infection.

Last edited:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Interesting .

Like most places, we have different types of tick. On the east coast you can get a paralysis tick; here in tassie we don't. I've seen a paralysed full grown pig resurrected within minutes after a paralysis tick was removed. I had a tick on my scalp, probably from rolling around in the dirt when I came off the bike. I felt it when I got home and didn't know what it was, so just tried to pull it off - my scalp was lifting off my head but it wouldn't come off.

My girlfriend attacked it with pliers, and it came off. I left it in some tissue - I wanted to look at it with a magnifying glass to see if it had it's head, or left it in me. The body was huge. 5mins later it was walking around! :oops: o_O

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
They found no member of B. burgdorferi sensu lato group, but their results revealed the presence of a new relapsing fever group Borrelia (Gofton et al., 2015b).

Hence, there is no evidence for transmission of B. burgdorferi sensu lato complex with Australian ticks.

Yes, this is the exact part I'm talking about.

Your quote says they did not find the exact strains of Borrelia known to cause the disease named "Lyme disease"(sensu Lato) but they acknowledge that they did find other strain of Borrelia.

Around the world there are many strains of Borrelia that cause something called 'lyme-like' or 'lyme borreliosis' that is not 'lyme disease', and it's very possible that the Borrelia found locally in Australia can cause these. However as written in that report, we do not have conclusive evidence that the local strains of Borrelia in Australia specifically cause human illness and more research is needed. However given the immense number of different Borrelia strains around the world that do cause Lyme borreliosis, it is logical to assume that it is possible that ours also can.

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
Even if we were to assume that there is no Borrelia that causes human disease in australia, given the large number of other infections that are known to be present and are known to cause human illness, it is best to maintain tick awareness such as body scanning and proper removal. I have educated many people on this stuff throughout my life since I got sick, and I know there's lots of people who have had so many tick bites and never got sick. But the past doesn't dictate the future, and it's just a small change in behaviour. How long does it take to scan someone's body or wear your socks over your pants if your walking through thick bush?

There's even a thing that happens sometimes with some Australian ticks that causes you to have a life long allergy to eating red meat!! :oops:

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles