WARNING TICKS!!!! - please read

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I have just come out of a ten day stay in hospital having contracted tick borne encephalitis. I've actually been ill for six weeks, but eventually I had to be hopitalised, where a lumbar puncture confirmed I had the disease. It has a fatality rate of between 1 -2%. Although I am now making a recovery, my balance is poor and I find some tasks difficult. No one knows how much permanent there will be or how long it will take, let alone when I'll be able to drive and more importantly ride my bike. The annoying thing is that I had no idea about this disease and I have no recollection of finding a tick on me. Also, one can be vaccinated against it. The Swiss army routinely vaccinate all their recruits against it (I live in Switzerland). It is quite widespread in Europe (I don't think it is the UK yet). So, if you are coming on holiday to mainland Europe, please check yourself very carefully after a ride and you might want to talk to your doctor about vaccination.

arawa

Jun 17, 2019
Highlands
I have just come out of a ten day stay in hospital having contracted tick borne encephalitis. I've actually been ill for six weeks, but eventually I had to be hopitalised, where a lumbar puncture confirmed I had the disease. It has a fatality rate of between 1 -2%. Although I am now making a recovery, my balance is poor and I find some tasks difficult. No one knows how much permanent there will be or how long it will take, let alone when I'll be able to drive and more importantly ride my bike. The annoying thing is that I had no idea about this disease and I have no recollection of finding a tick on me. Also, one can be vaccinated against it. The Swiss army routinely vaccinate all their recruits against it (I live in Switzerland). It is quite widespread in Europe (I don't think it is the UK yet). So, if you are coming on holiday to mainland Europe, please check yourself very carefully after a ride and you might want to talk to your doctor about vaccination.
Sorry to hear of your illness. But the disease is certainly present in Scotland. A good friend is still not well 2 years after being diagnosed and enduring a spell in hospital. A local GP has had to retire after not recovering properly after having it.
I get bitten by ticks several times most seasons after fishing trips walking through high heather but, fingers crossed, no encephalitis yet!
As far as I know, vaccination is not offered here but medical practices are looking out for symptoms and warning people.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I'd not realised you could get vaccinated for that.

I had four in and around my armpit where they'd come in through the armour ventilation after a nice long sliding crash through the undergrowth the other day. B*stards. There's loads of them here in northern France this year after the mild winter.

If you put tiger balm on anywhere exposed before you ride/fish/visit nudist colonies (or combinations of these activities) they seem to hate that and won't dig in.

my balance is poor and I find some tasks difficult

Fortunately, I think I'm immune to it's affects as I already list those as inherent abilities.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I'd not realised you could get vaccinated for that.

I had four in and around my armpit where they'd come in through the armour ventilation after a nice long sliding crash through the undergrowth the other day. B*stards. There's loads of them here in northern France this year after the mild winter.

If you put tiger balm on anywhere exposed before you ride/fish/visit nudist colonies (or combinations of these activities) they seem to hate that and won't dig in.

Fortunately, I think I'm immune to it's affects as I already list those as inherent abilities.

Apparently Tiger balm can be used as a mechanical lube as well....

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Sorry to hear of your illness, that must have come like a bolt from the blue and it seems so unfair. I hope that your recovery is a lot faster than forecast.

The wood where I ride have many deer in them and there is a large biting insect that preys upon them, or any person that gets close enough. The bites are painless at the time, but they go dark red, swell up, form a hard lump, and then itch for days afterwards. They are unsightly too. So when the weather is warm and muggy, I always use an insect repellent. I use "Jungle Formula - max strength". It does the job because I have not been bitten since. It also keeps mozzies away. I have used it successfully when I have been to Maylasia, Singapore, Hong Kong, sub-tropical Australia, Egypt, coastal South Carolina (swamps and alligators etc) and various islands in the Caribbean. All those places have nasty insects by the billion and it worked there, so it should work well in the UK!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
The wood where I ride have many deer in them and there is a large biting insect that preys upon them, or any person that gets close enough. The bites are painless at the time, but they go dark red, swell up, form a hard lump, and then itch for days afterwards.
I think the deer get fed on a lot by horseflys and deer flys. Horsefly's always leave a nasty bite behind which stays swollen for several days and hurts like hell. Antihistamine cream helps if you get it on straight away. We also get these evil "Turbo" horse fly's .. I call them "shire" fly's. They're similar sized to a hornet and if one of those bites you, it's really nasty. They mainly prey on the animals and often hunt in little packs of 5-7. The "zebra" fly rugs work well for the horses and provide some invisibility, though if one gets close enough it will then attack. The only thing that protects the horses are the heavy weight fly rugs which are a sort of plastic chain mail, which is thick enough that they can't bite through. But then if the horse has been attacked by them previously, it will run around like a maniac to try and escape - hence the zebra rugs so they don't get attacked/stressed/injure themselves.

fly.jpg

My suggestion for the next ride ... You dress up as a Zebra !!! :)

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
I know this is gonna sound difficult to do but in the case of horsefly bites, dont scratch em! Thats what starts the itching, its your body's reaction that makes the itchyness. If you can lay off the scatching they'll disappear in no time.

Kaelidoz

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Apr 29, 2018
Belgium
Vaccination sounds really interesting. We're also invaded by these fuckers in Belgium. I removed 4 off our cat at work (btw his name is Gary...) and another one off a man I take care of, in the last 2 years. Never had to deal with them before.

I've heard that bedbugs are also appearing massively in northern Europe, like in NYC.

Wishing you a quick recovery @Swissrider that sucks. :(

Fingerpuk

Apr 8, 2020
Kent
One of our offices was infested with bed bugs. The treatment required to ensure it was dealt with and didn’t spread to the houses of employees was extreme. The cost will be ongoing for the next year also with repeated treatments.

They are a bastard.

Ticks I know little about. But I always wear trousers and shirts while riding, to protect from thorns etc but also from wildlife.

No idea if it would work for ticks.

Twin Valleys

Nov 5, 2019
southern Alberta, Canada
Glad you're on the mend and hoping you show signs of improvement each day, we have had a busy tick season in western Canada and our infected ticks can cause Lyme disease which can also lead to neurological disorders and joint pain, apparently the key is to find and remove carefully (head intact) within 24 hours, we have vaccine that works well for dogs, I did not know there was a vaccine for people

ragnor

Apr 23, 2020
U.K.

Here in Scotland we don't have tick borne encephalitis but we do have Lyme disease which can be just about as bad. Not all ticks carry the disease but if you develop a red rash like a ring then get to your doc ASAP. The comments are : If diagnosed in the early stages, Lyme disease can be cured with antibiotics. Without treatment, complications involving the joints, heart, and nervous system can occur. But these symptoms are still treatable and curable.

Check yourself over after every ride or preferably have your (VERY) good mate check where you can't see.:eek::eek: You really wouldn't believe where or even what they can get attached too.o_O

Best of luck with your recovery.

ragnor

Apr 23, 2020
U.K.
Should add that I find that Smidge works great as a deterrent. Anything with large amount of Deet in it is likely to melt anything plastic such as your nice expensive watch! From Wikipedia: DEET is an effective solvent and may dissolve some watch crystals, plastics, rayon, spandex, other synthetic fabrics, and painted or varnished surfaces including nail polish. It also may act as a plasticizer by remaining inside some formerly hard plastics, leaving them softened and more flexible.

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.

Ticks carrying Lymes disease have been rampant in the Lake District for the last few years.

It is best to wear long clothing if you are likely to be in contact with long grass.

As Steve said, full strength (100% DEET) Jungle Formula is the best chemical defence, but is quite hard to find in shops as it can be quite dangerous if used too much, and disolves your plastic things like watches, glasses, pens etc.

It is a good idea to carry a proper pair of Tick Tweezers, as removing them in the proper way (not leaving their heads in you) as soon as you find them is important.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
...............As Steve said, full strength (100% DEET) Jungle Formula is the best chemical defence, but is quite hard to find in shops as it can be quite dangerous if used too much, and disolves your plastic things like watches, glasses, pens etc. ............

I didn't know that but it explains why the paint off the aerosol can it comes in is peeling off. it may also explain why the unobtainium nose pieces and grips around the ears of my Oakley riding specs are dissolving. I thought it was just rubber perishing in the sunlight! :eek:

It's a good job my child rearing days are over!

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Seems to be a lot more ticks about this year, been pulling a fair few off the dog recently having only had to do it about once a year in previous years.

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
I didn't know that but it explains why the paint off the aerosol can it comes in is peeling off. it may also explain why the unobtainium nose pieces and grips around the ears of my Oakley riding specs are dissolving. I thought it was just rubber perishing in the sunlight!

Yes, it will be the JF causing that. I first discovered that years ago on a MR navigation training session when I tried to put my pen down and found it was stuck to my fingers.

You have to be extra careful these days, as many more (expensive) things you wear are made from plastic.

You really have to think hard not to touch your expensive prescription glasses (plastic lenses) whilst you have it on.

I only ever buy the small plastic bottles of liquid (rather than the aerosols) as they are lighter and smaller to carry, and it is much easier to control how much you are putting on and where it is going.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Yes, it will be the JF causing that. I first discovered that years ago on a MR navigation training session when I tried to put my pen down and found it was stuck to my fingers.

You have to be extra careful these days, as many more (expensive) things you wear are made from plastic.

You really have to think hard not to touch your expensive prescription glasses (plastic lenses) whilst you have it on.

I only ever buy the small plastic bottles of liquid (rather than the aerosols) as they are lighter and smaller to carry, and it is much easier to control how much you are putting on and where it is going.

Specs lenses!!! :eek: I never thought about that, thanks for the warning! :)
I spray it onto my hand and apply it that way. Better control, as you say.

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.
Specs lenses!!! :eek: I never thought about that, thanks for the warning!

Also, wipe your hands before you get back in your car and touch the plastic trim or grip the steering wheel!

I always keep the bottle in a self-sealing polythene bag in case of leaks as it doesn't dissolve polythene.

Shifty

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 29, 2019
Wiltshire
Sorry to hear that. I hope you recover well.

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
sorry to hear mate, we live in a tick heavy area, im always pulling them off the cats the kids and myself.. then circle the area with pen and see if it gets bigger.. they cause some horrible symptoms..

Waynemarlow

E*POWAH Master
Dec 6, 2019
Bucks
Me and Horse flys seem to have a love affair, some people just get bitten more than others. I can get bitten through clothing and the bastards create a real problem for days and then some months later you can bump the same bite area and the itching and swelling starts all over again.

The bastards are attracted to certain types of smell and old sweaty clothing or as I have found, sweaty gloves that I never used to wash. Wash em regularly along with your helmet pads etc and it does seem to work abit. Deet is just the biz, but for those who are prone like me, miss an inch and you will get bitten until you start taking Vitamin B1 supplement, works a treat.

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
Put DEET around your ankles , wrists and around your neck .
Thats where the ticks gain entry to our skin . They will attach to your clothes then march on up or down to a spot with warmth and good blood flow .

Tuck your trouser leg into your socks if you`re wearing long pants . That thwarts a lot of the fckers . Cant just crawl up your leg to your groin and attach . I hear you knockin but you can`t come in . lol .

I have had 100s , luckily no Lymes disease in Oz .

Last edited:

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
One of our offices was infested with bed bugs. The treatment required to ensure it was dealt with and didn’t spread to the houses of employees was extreme. The cost will be ongoing for the next year also with repeated treatments.

They are a bastard.

Ticks I know little about. But I always wear trousers and shirts while riding, to protect from thorns etc but also from wildlife.

No idea if it would work for ticks.
Do you work in a brothel? Or sell mattresses? :eek::eek::oops::whistle:;)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles