E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
IMG_2679.JPG

Bike / Product Year: 2019
Manufacturer: Merida
Model: 160 900E
Asking Price: WANTED

Description: I'm chasing a 29" front wheel suitable for my 900E. I'm in Australia so would prefer to get something over here due to the cost of posting something as large as a wheel. But having said that, open to all offers depending on price. Cheers Steve

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
View attachment 16072

Description: I'm chasing a 29" front wheel suitable for my 900E. I'm in Australia so would prefer to get something over here due to the cost of posting something as large as a wheel. But having said that, open to all offers depending on price. Cheers Steve

I'm in Sydney, and might have a wheel for you. Are they 6 bolt or centrelock discs ?

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Hey HGmtb, pretty sure they are a 6 bolt hub, definately not a centre lock for the disc and I think it's a 15mm axle not sure how wide but will check it all out tonight and let you know for sure, cheers Steve

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
View attachment 16072

I have the same bike, what's the benefit of going 29 on the front, I'm in Alice Springs btw.

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Just going on what I've read on here, but larger rolling diameter (more like a off road motorcycle) so smooths out the rough stuff better, slight more relaxed geometry so more stable at speed downhill and the add bonus of making the crank set slight higher resulting in less pedal strike. 3 out 3 wins I reckon, cheers Steve

JChristo

Apr 29, 2019
Australia
Hi there, I put a 29er wheel on the front of my Merida e160 and it is a definite improvement. I just happened to have a 30mm ID width 29er wheel sitting on another bike so I bought a boost kit (about $30) and stuck it on. My Merida wheel is a centre lock rotor so I had to put an old 6 bolt 203mm rotor on my 29er wheel.

You could buy a boost 29er front wheel online from either an Aussie site or someone like Chainreaction for a reasonable price. Also from my research on doing this, the idea is that you put a non plus slightly narrower tyre on to get the most benefit - something like a 29 x 2.6. The new Eddie Current tyres are pretty good.

E900.jpg

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Thanks for that, will have to check it out JChristo, but you'll have to excuse my ignorance but what is a BOOST KIT? I can get a
DT Swiss XR1501 PS 6 Bolt Front Wheel
for about $130 which has a 15 x 110mm hub which I'm pretty sure will fit straight on to my bike (if anyone can confirm that it would be good). I know it's a narrower rim than what's on mine already but figure I can still put a 2.5 DHF on it (again if anyone can confirm that for me it would be great) Just a bit new to all this to be certain for myself, and do I still need a boost kit? cheers Steve

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
It might be best to measure the width of your front hub - according to "99 Bikes" website the front wheel could be standard width: "15-100 Thru-Axle 2019: Selected front forks use a 100 mm wide through axle 12 or 15 mm in diameter" or possibly boost width: "Rims DT Swiss Spline HX1501; 110x15 WTF; 148x12 WHR; 35IW".

If your wheel is 110x15, and you you can get a DT Swiss wheel (which is better than mine) for $130, go for it. You don't need a boost kit, and the rim width shouldn't be a problem for a 2.5 tyre.

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Looked at the official merida description on 99 bikes for the 160 900e and it gives the specifications of the wheel/rim as DT Swiss Spline HX1501; 110x15 WTF. So I'm guessing that the DT Swiss XR1501 PS 6 Bolt Front Wheel I can get on Chain reaction should fit straight in, can anyone confirm that before pull the trigger and spend my hard earned dough please, cheers Steve

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Also can't seem to see if this rim can be run tubeless or not, even on the official Swiss website doesn't say anything about it. Would be guessing most high end wheels these days would be

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Now found something on the Chain reaction websited under that wheel that said it is not suitable for Fox forks so have emailed them a query about it so still no closer!

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Thanks for that HGmtb, looking at them though they are out of stock, which is a disappointment. What is the wheel that you have as it's looking more like it at the moment, cheers Steve

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
Sorry Steve - Unfortunately I have just promised the wheel (a Specialized Roval 29" 110 x 15 mm) to my mate who wants to turn his BMC Trailfox AMP2 into a mullet bike as well !

HGmtb

Patreon
Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
You could always get a new rim put on your existing hub - that would cost about $200 (Greg at TWE in Sydney charges $100 for a 29" x 30 mm internal rim and about $100 to build it).

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Yeah all starting to be a bit hard to know what to do, does anyone know a good wheel builder in Brissy or the Sunny Coast? Only reservation with that is I lose the original wheel in case I don't like it (unlikely I know) or to have the original to sell the bike with eventually.
That's why I was looking for a replacemet 29" wheel, so really still looking for a second hand one if at all possible.
I did hear back from Chain Reaction, they said that the DT Swiss XR1501 PS 6 Bolt will fit ok but as HGmtb pointed out, with an internal dimension of around 22mm is too narrow for a decent sized tyre?
Like I said earlier, not really sure what to do and open to all suggestions, cheers Steve

JChristo

Apr 29, 2019
Australia
Hey Husky, this is the converter I was talking about (you can get them locally as well):

US $15.12 |Fouriers bicycle Thru Axle 15mm x 100mm to15mm x 110mm Boost Fork Conversion Kit Mountain bike MTB hub Adapter Front Hub Adapter-in Skewers from Sports & Entertainment on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I happened to have a 30mm ID wheel on my Hardtail so just bought the kit and it took 5 minutes to put it on. All the Merida forks/wheels are boost as they run 2.8 'plus' tyres.

Don't go smaller than 30mm ID (in my opinion) as you will get tyre squirm running at low pressures. The Eddie Current tyres are amazing by the way.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Have a look on evilbay for something like
Halo 29" Vortex MT - 33mm rim width
Sun Ringle Duroc 40 - 34mm rim width
DT Swiss DT350 on E Thirteen - 30mm width

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Thanks for the explanation, so the boost they refer to in the wheel size is that the hubs are 110 not 100mm wide, and the boost conversion kit makes up the other 10mm. So could look for a 100mm wheel and then just get the kit. Yeah definately looking for a wider rim but not worried about going all the way to a 2.8 tyre as only running a 2.5 now on the front and 2.4 on the rear and find that fine.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Thanks for the explanation, so the boost they refer to in the wheel size is that the hubs are 110 not 100mm wide, and the boost conversion kit makes up the other 10mm. So could look for a 100mm wheel and then just get the kit.

Yup - that is correct.

Yeah definately looking for a wider rim but not worried about going all the way to a 2.8 tyre as only running a 2.5 now on the front and 2.4 on the rear and find that fine.

You still do not want to go much below 30mm internal rim width. Possibly go to 28mm but you will find that is only decent when running higher pressures. Look for 30mm and you could go to a 2.6 no worries - that allows a much wider range of tire replacement.

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Well bit I the bullet at last and ordered a wheel from Chain Reaction in the UK, it's only got an internal measurement of 27mm but has Swiss hub and Race face rim, I think it will work ok with a thinner front tyre so I have also ordered a 2.4 tyre to go with it.
I know it's nothing like what comes standard on the bike with the Swiss 35mm wheels but it a bit of an experiment and I didn't want to pull apart my original wheel before I knew if I liked it, which i'm sure I will. If that's the case I will then hunt down a Swiss 35mm x 29" rim and then rebuild my original wheel with the 29" rim.
Seems pretty mad that I have to get it from the UK with free postage cheaper than I can pick one up over here in Oz. Just over $330 for the wheel and tyre and including tubeless goo and a digital tyre pressure guage too!
Thanks for all the input and will let you know how I get on with my mullet once I get it all together, cheers Steve

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
I ordered a cheap Nukeproof wheelset to fit tires for a little urban sifting. Ordered on Friday and delivered to NZ the following Wednesday.

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
CRC UK.
29' with 30mm inside rim measurement. Only running Serfas Drifters 29x2.0 initially as I have a set but will replace with 2.5 Schwalbe Big Apples or Maxxis Hookworms

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
That's a pretty good bargain for the wheel set, not much more than I paid for 1 wheel and a couple of mm's wider. Didn't think of looking for a set! DOH! Anyway, just an experiment, though the more I look, the more the MULLET seems to be making a resurgence! Always loved the late '70's and early '80's.

hair.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles