Want to know how many miles or km's your Bosch motor should last?

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
I thought anyone running a Bosch motor may find this interesting? I have loaded this as a pdf because there are several large photographs showing wear and tear shots from a Bosch Performance Line motor after 20,000 kilometres. What we found was fairly definitive proof of how far one of these motors will go before it's completely shot and in dire need of a complete overhaul.

Attachments

• High Mileage report.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,501

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
"Ok, this isn’t a motor from a mountain bike, and wouldn’t have suffered pedal strikes or harsh terrain and conditions. But, if you can keep the bearings dry by using your silicone grease regularly and don’t repeatedly strike rocks with your pedal arms, you should expect 10,000 + miles. "
This is what worries me about Emtb motors.
I don't get crank/pedal strikes while pedalling but do occasionally glance rocks, ruts and roots with my pedal edges and do crash the bike fairly imressively from time to time. I ride my Ebike like a DH bike over and down steep, rough terrain with fairly sizeable jumps and drops. My first Shimano motors' main bearings lasted a mere 800 miles of this kind of terrain and riding before starting to creak and developing noticeable play.
My gut feeling is that the axle and bearing design probably just isn't durable enough for huge amounts of this sort of use..

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
My colleague told me today his Bosch cx Haibike hardtail has done 7000 miles commuting on roads and has just replaced the main motor bearing for about £20 as it was making a grinding noise. No water ingress at all, just wear and tear. All sounds perfect now

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
My colleague told me today his Bosch cx Haibike hardtail has done 7000 miles commuting on roads and has just replaced the main motor bearing for about £20 as it was making a grinding noise. No water ingress at all, just wear and tear. All sounds perfect now
Even he was unlucky, since writing the first post back in the day, we now have service contracts with several courier companies around the country and their motors are up into the 30,000 to 40,000 mile range. These have all been road miles, but very tough miles on cargo bikes, normal bikes and all weathers.
But then I have done Yamahas used for the same type of hard work in the same environment, same result, they just do it!

Bearing Man

Ebike Motor Centre
Patreon
Sep 29, 2018
UK
Hows the newer 4th gen bosch cx motor looking for reliability?
A few niggles, but for a totally new design it seems to be extremely reliable. Sad that many people are buying other makes because Bosch are currently proving difficult to de-restrict.

Krakaride

Jan 6, 2021
Hallett Cove
Hows the newer 4th gen bosch cx motor looking for reliability?
I've put just over 7260km on my 2021 Focus JAM2 running the Gen4 Bosch CX. It's underbody has taken many babyhead rock smacks and quite a number of pedal strikes and still holds strong. Bearings are still solid and no weird noises at all. 625wh Battery still charges and holds to 100%. I'm pretty stoked with its reliability so far. No oil changes, no air filters no spark plugs.... 😁👌

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles