Walk mode on Steps E8000. Does it do anything?

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
Walk mode only seems to work ok if you have Di2 (probably as it then knows which gear you are in). Otherwise (without Di2) if you shift into a smaller cog like they say above then the wheel spins faster for the same motor speed so you're more likely to notice it helping.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Well walk mode works great on my Shimano powered Focus and Canyon bikes.
Press the down button once to select walk and again to engage it.
Don't apply any forward pressure yourself as this powers the motor down.
The higher the gear you select, the faster your bike propels itself.
If things still don't work then it's in the box and back to YT but I'm pretty sure that we are looking at operator error here.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Well walk mode works great on my Shimano powered Focus and Canyon bikes.
Press the down button once to select walk and again to engage it.
Don't apply any forward pressure yourself as this powers the motor down.
The higher the gear you select, the faster your bike propels itself.
If things still don't work then it's in the box and back to YT but I'm pretty sure that we are looking at operator error here.
Mine doesn’t seem to do anything either.. bikes only 2 weeks old.. few times I’ve tried it, I felt zero assistance.

Borist

Apr 13, 2018
SoCal
try it again and make sure you have a small cog selected, keep pressing the mode button to keep the motor spinning, don't push the bike, just hold on the bar

Borist

Apr 13, 2018
SoCal
Can you try it on the bike stand? I used it to spin the chain while lubing couple times - used a rubber band to keep mode button pressed. If it fails, call the seller

Be careful not to put your fingers near any moving parts though!

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Can you try it on the bike stand? I used it to spin the chain while lubing couple times - used a rubber band to keep mode button pressed. If it fails, call the seller

Be careful not to put your fingers near any moving parts though!

ill give it a whirl... not a big deal to me though either way.

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Lol well it’s works fine... I’m just an idiot.. didn’t realize you had to select and then push button.. I was just holding it down!!! Shiiiiyttt....

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Granted it was in the stand so it could have been working before but not giving enough assistance to notice. Couple times I used it it was super steep terrain.

Borist

Apr 13, 2018
SoCal
great, looks like it is working fine. (y)
on the steep terrain it will be noticeable and will spin the wheel if it does not have enough traction, just make sure small enough cog is selected and don't push too hard on the bar

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Or just read what I told him in post 8.
You called it... just been so stoked to ride I’ve been
There is a know issue where manufacturer's do enter the correct "motor angle" and it is supposed to effect walk mode for some reason. My walk mode is shit even in a hard gear. It's very jerky OFF then ON lightly. Steps e8000 walk mode - EMTB Forums

I used it yesterday on the trail... sure it works but doesn’t work... not enough power to help when you need it.. works on flat ground!!

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Yes it will work on gradients steeper than you can ride.
when working properly it simply opereates the motor to turn the chainring (at a set speed) when the shift button is held down.
Rhis is why gearing matters.
So choose an appropriated gear or it'll be either far too slow or struggle to maintain rear wheel grip.

For me the whole thing is a gimmick. If I come across a gradient/technical section on a climb I can't ride up I still don't ever bother using it as I simply can't be arsed with the faff of changing into a higher gear first when i'm prefectly fit/strong/capable enough to push a bike up a hill without assistance. YMMV

seamarsh

May 7, 2019
usa
Yes it will work on gradients steeper than you can ride.
when working properly it simply opereates the motor to turn the chainring (at a set speed) when the shift button is held down.
Rhis is why gearing matters.
So choose an appropriated gear or it'll be either far too slow or struggle to maintain rear wheel grip.

For me the whole thing is a gimmick. If I come across a gradient/technical section on a climb I can't ride up I still don't ever bother using it as I simply can't be arsed with the faff of changing into a higher gear first when i'm prefectly fit/strong/capable enough to push a bike up a hill without assistance. YMMV

Nope, mm doesn’t v... I agree it’s a gimmick! Might come in handy sometime randomly but pretty sure I’ll never use it.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Seamarsh, just to clarify. First you press the down button for "walk" to come up on the display. Then you press the down button and "walk" mode is engaged. You must keep the button pressed down, if you release the button "walk" mode disemgages. If you push the bike faster than "walk" mode is propelling it "walk" mode will cut out.

What happens if you sit on the bike and engage "walk" (keeping your feet well clear of the pedals)?

Alldayridernz

Sep 1, 2020
New Zealand
Old thread but I thought this may be of help. Make sure your Firmware is updated on the Etube app as there is a bug fix for this issue. My walk assist sorted of did something but never worked properly either especially with long presses of the button. I just updated it and now it works really well and you don't need to be in a small cog either, any gear works. Keep in mind when there is no resistance i.e the flat when your are pushing it there is very little assistance but as soon as the bike gets to an incline etc it now has a strong drive by itself.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles