Walk mode - does it work?

mxh

Aug 27, 2018
Australia
What exactly do you mean "doesn't seem to work or if it does little or nothing"?

You have to shift down until it shows walk mode on the screen, then hold the paddle down. The back wheel will either turn, or it won't. Which is it?

mxh

Aug 27, 2018
Australia
Release the paddle after it shows walk mode. Then press it again.

If you press the paddle to enter walk mode and just continue to hold it down it won't do anything. You need to release it once it shows 'walk' then press it again.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
it's pretty basic and shitfull setup and has been discussed often here. Shimano in their wisdom have designed it to be useful in only the higher gears, which is really back to front. If I don't make it up a hill it is very steep and loose and I'm already in my lowest gear. In this gear it is useless. So somehow you have to stay upright, lift the rear wheel and work the gears down to one of the higher gears? Never going to happen for me. A dude I ride with sometimes has a giant and it doesn't seem to matter what gear he is in - it works!

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Thanks....I will try that...Saying that i dont have di2 so do not understand how the motor knows I am in a smaller gear?
The motor doesn't have "to know", The output in Walk mode is fixed. Its just that the rear wheel turns faster and you are more likely to notice it.
@mxh in post#6 has the best suggestion (I knew that, just didn't think to suggest it).

Husky430

E*POWAH Master
Jul 8, 2019
Glasshouse Mts - Australia
Mines the same as Horspwr's, really good. Doesn't seem to matter what gear I'm in, tho realistically, it's usually a low gear and I've 'failed to proceed' on a steep hill. Just get it into walk mode by shifting down past off in the modes, then release and press again and hold. seems to climb anything as long as you have traction on the back wheel.
Just a note of caution tho, watch out for those rotating pedals, they have a tendency to find your shins. :ROFLMAO:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Mines the same as Horspwr's, really good. Doesn't seem to matter what gear I'm in, tho realistically, it's usually a low gear and I've 'failed to proceed' on a steep hill. Just get it into walk mode by shifting down past off in the modes, then release and press again and hold. seems to climb anything as long as you have traction on the back wheel.
Just a note of caution tho, watch out for those rotating pedals, they have a tendency to find your shins. :ROFLMAO:
What bike do you have? Giant?

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
No we both have Meridas 160 900e
I wonder if they have changed this then? Like you, I'm usually in my lowest gear and in a place where I'm struggling to stand up once off the bike. The walk assist for me is still useless (slightly faster than standing still). I have an e140 2020 model.

Last edited:

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Yeah ours are both 2019 models with the 8000 motor, is yours an 8000 as well?
Yes - and I'm pretty sure it's the latest firmware (nothing to update a month or two ago). Maybe that's the problem :LOL:. It isn't dynamic - it just turns at a certain speed. I'm guessing they set it up assuming it would be in the highest gear for safety? If they set it up correctly for the lowest gear @ 2 miles per hour, it would be too fast in the highest gear. It's still back to front. Great that it works for you :)

Bravestarr

Apr 26, 2019
Fife, Scotland
Where I ride, I quite often have to use walk mode. I always just manually click down to the smallest gear and then engage it. Yes it is slow but given that it is only used on very steep ground it works perfectly.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles