W013 error!

thegrapher

May 9, 2019
Oslo
My bike is a new canyon spectral on 7.0, it's 2 weeks old and never been off road yet...I know...but I've got a kid and haven't been let off for a day out!

Anyways, I've been riding it a few times and when I first assembled it I got a w013 error. It went after I turned it off and in again and didn't have a problem for a while. However, the other day it came back and was constantly coming on repetitively. It worked once and felt more jerky than normal and then, again like 10 times in a row even though I wasn't on the bike.

Took it to canyon today after the bike was resting for 4 days...and of course... it's not doing it. It also feels better again.

Anyone had similar experiences? Or have an idea what's happening?

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
I've been posting about a similar situation.
I've been getting EO10 (general system error) for a few weeks now, but a quick reboot sorts that out. For the last couple of rides EO10 has been followed by WO13 which is connected to the torque sensor and does not reboot so readily. It could be coincidence but none of this happened before I had the 4.7 firmware loaded a couple of months ago.

I'm on the verge of taking it back to the dealer but am just letting it develop a bit more.

My bike is a 10 month old Focus which has covered about 1700 miles.

Ironically, I've been looking at a Spectral on 6 as a more simple and reliable (don't ask me how I come to that conclusion as I don't know)back up/winter bike bike.

Jonnymac

Feb 21, 2019
Inverclyde
When you turn on the bike, make sure that nothing is touching the pedals. The torque sensor doesn't like it. (Or is that WO10?)
You are correct it is WO13. So many Ebike beginners get caught out by this. Shimano and dealers really should make a clearer warning about it

thegrapher

May 9, 2019
Oslo
I appreciate the feedback and thank you, but this is my second ebike actually. I'm new to this forum but not ebikes. ? My Yamaha motor on my giant never had this issue. Seems Shimano is much more sensitive...but the way I would describe it is as if the torque sensor somehow became calibrated wrong for it to happen so often and repetitively, and the motor to feel as strange as it was as if delayed to kick in when it did.

Nothing was touching my pedals. In fact, the one or two times it did engage that day, I turned it on while riding it! What has caught me out is it's intermittency. I was just seeing if anyone else had this kind of issue. I always turn the bike on before getting on so it's not the case I'm putting pressure on the pedals.

But as I said, it's as if it's recalibrated again and been fine. Canyon didn't see anything wrong and I'm hopeful that it stays good. I love the bike and the warranty is good so time will tell I guess. ?

thegrapher

May 9, 2019
Oslo
I've been posting about a similar situation.
I've been getting EO10 (general system error) for a few weeks now, but a quick reboot sorts that out. For the last couple of rides EO10 has been followed by WO13 which is connected to the torque sensor and does not reboot so readily. It could be coincidence but none of this happened before I had the 4.7 firmware loaded a couple of months ago.

I'm on the verge of taking it back to the dealer but am just letting it develop a bit more.

My bike is a 10 month old Focus which has covered about 1700 miles.

Ironically, I've been looking at a Spectral on 6 as a more simple and reliable (don't ask me how I come to that conclusion as I don't know)back up/winter bike bike.
Yeah, it's a great bike and recommend it fully... hopefully it's a glitch

davemcc1248

Jan 1, 2020
northern ireland
I had same problem when bike built out of the box turnef out the rear speed sensor was not plugged into the motor. On non drive side at bottom of motor remove cover 3or 4 bolts and just check it is plugged in correctly.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I appreciate the feedback and thank you, but this is my second ebike actually. I'm new to this forum but not ebikes. ? My Yamaha motor on my giant never had this issue. Seems Shimano is much more sensitive...but the way I would describe it is as if the torque sensor somehow became calibrated wrong for it to happen so often and repetitively, and the motor to feel as strange as it was as if delayed to kick in when it did.

Nothing was touching my pedals. In fact, the one or two times it did engage that day, I turned it on while riding it! What has caught me out is it's intermittency. I was just seeing if anyone else had this kind of issue. I always turn the bike on before getting on so it's not the case I'm putting pressure on the pedals.

But as I said, it's as if it's recalibrated again and been fine. Canyon didn't see anything wrong and I'm hopeful that it stays good. I love the bike and the warranty is good so time will tell I guess. ?
I wouldn't be surprised if canyon reseated the connector in the motor. It probably looked ok to them. I used to work on computers, and often reseating all the connectors would solve the problem. So, where the speed sensor is - your magnet will be on the spoke or rotor; the sensor will be somewhere on the chain stay to pick up the signal. The cable from that sensor goes back into the motor. The post immeditately above by davemcc1248 describes this. I have had the same problem tonight, and after reading the above, that's what I'll check tomorrow :)

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles